Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little Lies (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

A murder... a tragic accident... or just parents behaving badly? What's indisputable is that someone is dead. But who did what? Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads: Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She's funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline's youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline's teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline's ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?). Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn't be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay. New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.… (more)
Member:Tania57
Title:Big Little Lies
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Berkley (2015), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (2014)

Little Children: A Novel by Tom Perrotta (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)
    The Hive by Gill Hornby (chazzard)

English (329)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (335)
I've already seen TV series based on this book, but it was interesting for me to know how it was in the original source. And it was awesome! Liane Moriarty's writing style is quite casual and lively, but the story itself is very intriguing. The author gives us some hints, but she doesn't put all the cards on the table till the very end. And even though I know the whole story before reading, I really enjoyed it and was totally engrossed in the story.

The interesting thing is that in the book the title meant different things for me. The lie in the book is not the same as in TV series. It doesn't appear at certain moment only, it exists in the everyday life and inevitably becomes bigger and bigger.

I liked that there were no detailed descriptions of sexual scenes. The author tells us just right amount of information the reader has to know to understand the situation fully, And that's quite an advantage for me.

I was mostly interested in the ending, because I'd already known how TV series had ended. And original ending was just perfect for me;) ( )
  Diana_Hryniuk | Aug 28, 2021 |
Book club book. Very good, fun and entertaining. Shocker. Liked alot. ( )
  avdesertgirl | Aug 22, 2021 |
I really appreciate how layered this novel is. It's one of the best novels I've ever read!! I remember I added to my to-read list at the library years ago and then I heard they were turning it into a series and I wanted to rush to read it, but I didn't have time. So I waited. I didn't watch the series. I wanted to experience this novel in its purest form, and boy, am I glad I did!!! The whole time I felt like the characters were my friends! They're all so likeable and I could find parts of myself in each of the women. This novel deals with unexpected themes and tackles certain situations with a realness that is hard to find in many novels. I recommend it to everyone. Read it read it!!! ( )
  chartreuse245 | Aug 19, 2021 |
How big can one little lie really get? And why do parents of young children take everything so seriously at Pirriwee Public School? Madeline Martha Mackenzie was one of those parents with a young daughter, Chloe, who took PTA and gluten free bake sales to a whole other level. When a new mom in town, Jane, joins her group consisting of Madeline and Celeste, much chaos ensues. Past traumas, secrets, and most importantly lies shake the town of Pirriwee Peninsula in Australia and not everything is as it appears. ( )
  MackChancey | Aug 3, 2021 |

Liane Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andersson, KerstinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You hit me, you hit me, now you have to kiss me
-SCHOOL YARD CHANT
Pirriwee Public School...where we live and learn by the sea!  Pirriwee is a BULLY-FREE ZONE!  We do not bully.  We do not accept being bullied.  We never keep bullying a secret.  We have the courage to speak up if we see our friends bullied.  We say NO to bullies.
With love to Margaret
"That doesn't sound like school trivia night," said Mrs. Patty Ponder to Marie Antoinette. "That sounds like a riot."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,484,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible