Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little Lies (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

A murder... a tragic accident... or just parents behaving badly? What's indisputable is that someone is dead. But who did what? Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads: Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She's funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline's youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline's teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline's ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?). Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn't be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay. New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.… (more)
Member:Kcall101
Title:Big Little Lies
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:G. P. Putnam's Sons (2014), Edition: 1st, 460 pages

Work Information

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (2014)

Little Children: A Novel by Tom Perrotta (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)
    The Hive by Gill Hornby (chazzard)

English (333)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (339)
Good mystery. Liked the way it was presented. I did not suspect the victim until the death occurred. ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |
Yup. Read this in one day.
In three hours to precise. While I found the story silly and fluffy, the actual emotional content of each woman extremely powerful. Each thread of their motherhood/wife experience resonated for me. ( )
  Venarain | Jan 10, 2022 |
Apart from the well-constructed characters and their spot-on interpersonal dynamics, I loved that every chapter drew me closer to a dire, mysterious ending. It kept me turning the pages. The subject matter, at times intense, was handled respectfully, the consequences appropriate and satisfying. I appreciated the loose ends believably tied up. The story didn't rush (even though sometimes I wanted it to) and every character, every setting, was fully realized. I could picture it all. A book that can do that, plus keeping you hooked from beginning to end, is a book worth reading. Now, I get the pleasure of watching the HBO series based on this book. I can't wait! ( )
  lee.gabel | Dec 22, 2021 |
First read of 2015 (took so long because I had started another book I just couldn't get through so I put it down even though I NEVER do that!) anyway.....

Loved it. Will write a more in-depth review later but I couldn't put it down!

Erica8 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Stayed up late reading this one. Compelling plot, but what kept me in it was the cast of real, believable women/mothers. (The men all got to be real people too)

Well done, even if it does feel like someone is sitting on your chest at times. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |

Liane Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andersson, KerstinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You hit me, you hit me, now you have to kiss me
-SCHOOL YARD CHANT
Pirriwee Public School...where we live and learn by the sea!  Pirriwee is a BULLY-FREE ZONE!  We do not bully.  We do not accept being bullied.  We never keep bullying a secret.  We have the courage to speak up if we see our friends bullied.  We say NO to bullies.
With love to Margaret
"That doesn't sound like school trivia night," said Mrs. Patty Ponder to Marie Antoinette. "That sounds like a riot."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,294,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible