Waterfire Saga, Book One Deep Blue…

Waterfire Saga, Book One Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga, Book One) (Waterfire… (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Jennifer Donnelly (Author)

Series: WaterFire Saga (1)

Uncovering an ancient evil, Serafina, a mermaid of the Mediterranean Sea, searches for five other mermaid heroines who are scattered across the six seas, to save their hidden world.
Member:MadamMagic
Title:Waterfire Saga, Book One Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga, Book One) (Waterfire Saga (1))
Authors:Jennifer Donnelly (Author)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2015), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:Family Library

Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly (2014)

Rating: 90% (4.5 stars) ( )
  melonah | Jan 9, 2021 |
There are definitely some cheesy, kiddish elements of this book ("merlfriend," for instance? C'mon), but there are other more rewarding aspects that make this a great read for teen girls in particular. Where this book shines is in its depiction of sisterhood through female friendships. This is a book where the Bechdel test would ping wildly with joy--young merl women are friends and their conversations revolve around their own and each other's talents, instead of around boys. Refreshing! ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Serafina at the Dokimi in which she will either be crowned heir of Isabella (her mother as well as queen on Miromara) or killed. When her mother is shot by a poised arrow she must escape before she is killed too. The young mermaid must ready herself for heartbreak as well as leaving everything she ever knew. Although she has only one place to go her fellow friend is with her every stroke of the way. Her new friends are then told that if they do not work together to destroy a great evil or else her home and many others will be destroyed. Her people along with others will be killed, and the seas themselves will be obliterated. However, the items in which they need have been lost in the ocean for more that of two thousand years. Not only that the items are lost but the ones who murdered her mother are also after the items. Will Serafina and her new friends be able to stop the evil or will the monstrous being succeed and demolish the oceans? Only the gods can tell.
Deep Blue was an amazing story of passion, loss, grief, friendship, and love. The story itself was tragic enough to rattle the bones inside me. Only so young and being able to go through something like that is unheard of. Facing your fears in a way that is unimaginable! The way the author wrote this story was wonderful not only was it a mythical tale, but it involved other languages in the book itself. I have read many books on merfolk, but this was so far my favorite. The love within the story itself was both heartbreaking and beautiful. This author has made one of the best books I have ever read. I can’t wait for the next book. It truly is a book full of adventures beyond imagination. ( )
  amottern.ELA7 | Oct 20, 2019 |
This book didn't have much appeal to me. It is listed as a YA read, but I think it is better suited to middle-primary school students as I found the writing very juvenile. The world building was well done, but there was just too much unnecessary information and silly sea-related language. For example, money was called currensea and a family tree was a family coral, which had me cringing. I am not sure if the author was trying to be cute or funny, but she failed on both accounts.

I did like the friendship between Serafina and her best friend, Neela, but their dialogue, with these stupid sea-idioms just grated on my nerves.

"Deep Blue" had potential, but it was too forced and superficial. I was expecting a darker, more adventurous story than what I was given and I definitely won't be reading any more books in this series. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Feb 27, 2019 |
Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly tells the story of underwater life post Atlantis. The underwater world in the book is populated with “merfolk” who live in expansive kingdoms. The book begins in a wondrous beautiful place full of magic and spells. But that world is abruptly thrown into havoc and destruction when the evil Traho and his troops attack. Serafina, the mermaid and the daughter of Regina who is ruler of Miromara, escapes from the attackers. She eventually allies with Neela and other fearless young mermaids from other kingdoms. Due to their heritage, these young mermaids are the chosen ones who must find a way to save their underwater world from certain annihilation.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe a book about mermaids would be extremely appealing to the YA set but instead should be targeted at the upper middle grade reader. In reading the book, I myself struggled in the beginning of the story to grasp the language and terminology of the “merfolk” and so it took me a few chapters to become involved in the plot. I suspect though that the young fantasy reader would not have as much difficulty with the language issue. Once I became acclimated to the underwater life, I could appreciate the fantastic world that Donnelly created. And after getting past the first few chapters, I was also drawn into Serafina’s many attempts at escape and survival. To her credit, Donnelly ends the book with a mega cliffhanger that entices the reader to look for the next installment in the series.

This review is based on an eBook I received courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

For more than once dimly down to the beach gliding,
Silent, avoiding the moonbeams, blending myself with the shadows,
Recalling now the obscure shapes, the echoes, the sounds and sights after their sorts,
The white arms out in the breakers tirelessly tossing,
I, with bare feet, a child, the wind wafting my hair,
Listen'd long and long.

--From "Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking," by Walt Whitman
For Daisy, with all my love
Prologue:  Deep in the black mountains, deep in the Romanian night, deep beneath the , dark waters of the ancient Olt, the river witches sang.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,499,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible