Greenglass House by Kate Milford

Greenglass House (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Kate Milford, Jaime Zollars (Illustrator)

Series: Greenglass House (1)

At Greenglass House, a smuggler's inn, twelve-year-old Milo, the innkeepers' adopted son, plans to spend his winter holidays relaxing but soon guests are arriving with strange stories about the house sending Milo and Meddy, the cook's daughter, on an adventure.
Member:bweaves18
Title:Greenglass House
Authors:Kate Milford
Other authors:Jaime Zollars (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (2014), Hardcover, 176 pages

Greenglass House by Kate Milford (2014)

This book had been on my list for a long time and I have many GR friends who’ve enjoyed it so I decided to read it and stick with it no matter how I felt about it. I’d been on a streak of reading nothing but great books right for my mood at the time but recently I’d been having a hard time finding a book I wanted to read. Either they didn’t feel worth picking up or I started them and could feel no enthusiasm for continuing. I’m in the mood for certain books not yet available. I know there must be many books that would be working for me but I haven’t been able to think of them.

I enjoyed this book but until I was far into the book it did not call to me and it was a chore to pick it up. That was my mood more than the book. Once again I found it harder to want to start reading because of the very long chapters (maybe 30 minutes each, perfect for bedtime stories but not for me these days.) I did end up enjoying it though and I’m really glad I read it.

I loved the humor.

The foods & drinks described was scrumptious, especially all the hot chocolate.

I hated the violence. Gun violence which seemed a tad out of place. I wish the bad guy(s) had been less villainous. It seemed a bit over the top, especially for this story.

I knew that there was a supernatural aspect to this book but until the reveal I couldn’t quite figure out precisely what it was. There were certainly abundant clues but they went right over my head. It’s tempting to reread it (someday) to know from the beginning what is going on.

I found the game tedious at times and fun at times.

This is a great book about the adoption and I found the author’s note in the back of the book affecting.

Even though I was enjoying the book, I didn’t think I’d be interested in reading any sequel and I probably won’t, but I found the last two chapters touching and fun and I could be being interested enough to read beyond this book.

This would be a good book to read around Christmastime.

For much of the book I thought it would be a 3 star book but it ended up being a solid 4 star worthy book for me. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Jun 18, 2021 |
Greenglass House was one of my many book purchases last year when I had a couple of gift cards and a long wishlist. Though I had wanted to read it for quite some time, I saved it for the Winter because just look at that cover! I have to admit, while the synopsis is what sold me on this book, the cover art is what initially caught my interest. I was not disappointed.

This is the perfect book for curling up under a blanket with an endless mug of hot chocolate, especially if you have a fireplace, and I'm not sure there's a better book out there to read during the Winter. I read it over the Holidays since the story takes place over Milo's Winter break from school, and I would have finished it much more quickly if life hadn't gotten in the way.

I will definitely be checking out Kate Milford's other books. If you're looking for a fun Winter read, give Greenglass House a try. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
A kid book club pick and a nice alternative to the post-apocalyptic, dystopian stories that dominate the YA shelves. This is fanciful, heart-warming and mysterious. Milo and his adoptive parents live in and run an old Inn that is often frequented by smugglers due to its river port location. During a pre-Christmas snowstorm several guests show up unexpectedly, with agendas that center on the house and its history. To Milo's thinking their presence is simply to ruin his relaxing break and holiday with his family. However once he begins to investigate their secrets and background via a role-playing game, he learns a lot about the various characters, his house and his own family. Several unexpected plot turns make this a gripping read -- a good book to ingest with a warm drink and cozy fire. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
Books written for a middle-school audience can sometimes annoy me. Often the characters seem either too old or too young to seem real, but this one felt true to the concerns of this age range. Milo’s parents make themselves available while also respecting Milo’s need to work things out for himself. It’s something of a model for parents, as well, but not in a preachy way. In fact, the lessons never seem heavy-handed at all.

The mystery piece was intriguing and suspenseful without being scary. The reader is presented with clues at the same time Milo is, and we’re all cautioned not to jump to conclusions. The ending isn’t “OMG! I never saw that coming!” But neither is it boring and predictable.

After reading it on my own, I got the audiobook for us (my 12yo, 8yo, spouse, and me) to listen to while we’re on a cross-country road trip, and it’s drawn us all in.

—————-
After listening to the audiobook, I’m less thrilled with this than I was when I first read it. Some of the things that annoy me about the story:

1) Christmas Eve is the longest day ever. That one day seems to take up almost as much time as all of the other days put together. Reading the book-book, I didn’t notice how much the story drags, but on audio...ugh.

2) The author refers to the male characters of all ages as “young men” but refers to grown women as “girls.” I could accept this if it were just characters doing it, but when the narrator/author does it, it just rankles me.

3) There are a couple of other small things related to the audiobook narration that bothered me (the narrator couldn’t decide whether Brandon had an Australian accent or a Cockney accent, and the voice he used for Meddy sometimes was just weird), but that doesn’t figure into my star review.

My children, however, loved the book. I’m just a humbug, apparently. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
This is a book I'd have enjoyed as young reader... 4th or 5th grade. I saw the anomaly as an adult, but I'm not sure I'd have caught when I was a kid. Very good. very fun. ( )
  RobertaLea | May 14, 2020 |
An abundantly diverting mystery seasoned with mild fantasy and just a little steampunk.

The legends and folktales Milford (The Broken Lands) creates add to Nagspeake’s charm and gently prepare the ground for a fantasy twist.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (May 26, 2014)

Kate Milfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zollars, JaimeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To my family, near and far, with thanks
for all my childhood christmases;

to Raegan, Hadley, Phero, Oliver, Girffin,
and the one we call Amelia, adventurer all;

To Emma, who twisted my arm and
made me fix the things that didn't work;

And to Grandmoo, because it's her favorite.
There is a right way to do things and a wrong way, if you're going to run a hotel in a smuggler's town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,082,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible