Eeny Meeny by M. J. Arlidge

Eeny Meeny (original 2014; edition 2014)

by M. J. Arlidge (Author)

Member:Ruth72
Title:Eeny Meeny
Authors:M. J. Arlidge (Author)
Info:Penguin (2014), 448 pages
Collections:Audiobooks, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:DI Helen Grace, murder, mystery, serial killer

Eeny Meeny by M. J. Arlidge (2014)

Recently added byhoddybook, 2kings10, carys0797, slfinic, private library, chaos-poppy, Teacup_, Ruth72, ginahill

English (63)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (65)
In this first book in the series set in Southampton, and featuring DI Helen Grace, a sadistic killer is on the loose – one who gets her victims to do the dirty work for her. Two people are kidnapped, and trapped in a remote location with no chance of escape. There is a gun – and a deadly choice. One of them will have to either kill the other or kill themselves, and whoever survives is released. Grace and her team are on a race against time to find the connection between the victims and the person behind them all.

I listened to this as an audiobook, and it did keep me fairly hooked throughout. I thought the narrator Elizabeth Gower did an excellent job – one of the best narrators out of all the audiobooks I have listened to so far. Under close examination, the story itself is quite preposterous – the level of planning that would have had to be done to effect some of the kidnappings would be virtually impossible, and I am honestly not sure how long someone could get away with it the amount of times that the perpetrator here did. Nonetheless as a piece of sheer entertainment, it certainly did it’s job.

I am unsure what I think about Helen Grace – she is not an easy character to warm to, but I think that that is probably deliberate. Her team respect her, but don’t necessarily like her, and the things that make her hard for her colleagues to like are the same things that make it hard for the reader/listener to like. She is interesting though, which is my main requirement for a lead character. Out of the rest of her team, only two are really fleshed out but maybe we will get to know others better later in the series.

I would certainly listen to more books in this series; having said that, this book took the reader/listener to some dark places and I do feel that I need to cleanse my palate with something a bit lighter first. ( )
  Ruth72 | Sep 14, 2018 |
Eh. I'm actually really disappointed ...

I side with the sister that killed the parents, which really makes me hate Helen for not understanding, or even caring about the reason why the sister did what she did ... I wasn't crazy about Helen to begin with, now I really don't like her. How does she justify her thought process? That what her sister endured was acceptable? Is she actually disappointed that her sister killed her father before her father & uncles could rape her? Because that's sick.

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | May 30, 2018 |
A nice book, interesting to read and quite thrilling, especially the end. Interesting how Helen's past comes back to hunt her in the case she's solving. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 29, 2017 |
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Two people are abducted, trapped in an inescapable location, and left with a gun containing one bullet. The only way to survive is for one person to take the life of the other. Days of starvation and dehydration can lead a person to carry out many unthinkable actions, but is becoming a murderer one of them? This is the question driving the newest serial killer in town.

Detective Helen Grace is a woman familiar with the dark side of human nature, both professionally and personally, but this case is enough to shock even her experienced eye. With the aid of Mark, Charlie, and several other officers in her department Helen must work simultaneously to find the killer and keep the families involved out of the media’s grip. The past lives of the victims hold the key to unlocking their selection. Nothing is what it seems in this investigation and the clock is ticking as the abductions continue. Can Helen put a stop to this meticulously devious killer?

M.J. Arlidge instantly draws the reader in within the first few pages of EENY MEENY as you are placed inside a helpless situation and must watch as two people who care about one another react to the killer’s plot. Arlidge effortlessly weaves the police procedural of the ongoing case with glimpses in to Helen’s life, the killer’s mind, and the abductions. Chapters are kept short and loaded with information that keeps the reader flipping pages to learn more about each of the aspects to the story. While the reader is thrown into each side of the story, Arlidge masterfully avoids the fault of many novels that begin a series, by giving the reader just enough information on the characters, but not weighing down the chapters with minute details. EENY MEENY is a five star read lead by a strong female detective who will stop at nothing to catch a twisted killer. ( )
  jess_reads_books | Dec 20, 2017 |
Two people are kidnapped, locked in a room with a gun and only one of them will walk out alive. Detective Helen Grace must find out who the kidnapper is, but as more people get kidnapped the hunt becomes more and more intense as the police try to figure out what links the kidnappings together...

I usually find no problems with reading books out of order nowadays. But, in this case, I kind of regret that I read Pop Goes the Weasel before I read Eeny Meeny. Why? Because a bit of the enjoyment of reading this book is gone because I knew who the person is who is behind the kidnappings. Don't get me wrong, the book was great, but I knew what would happen at the end of the book and that's just a takes away some of the thrills of the ending when everything is revealed. Despite that, I enjoyed reading about the hunt for the kidnapper.

I'm glad I read this because now I understand Helen and Charlies strained relationship in the sequel. I also look forward to reading more books in this series since it has become a favorite of mine. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

M. J. Arlidgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kamhed, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De een leeft, de ander sterft. Kies maar
Sam is asleep.

Two people are abducted, imprisoned, and left with a gun. As hunger and thirst set in, only one walks away alive. It's a game more twisted than any Detective Helen Grace has ever seen. If she hadn't spoken with the shattered survivors herself, she almost wouldn't believe them. Helen is familiar with the dark sides of human nature, including her own, but this case--with its seemingly random victims--has her baffled. But as more people go missing, nothing will be more terrifying than when it all starts making sense....

Two people are abducted, imprisoned, and left with a gun. As hunger and thirst set in, only one walks away alive. If Detective Helen Grace hadn't spoken with the shattered survivors herself, she almost wouldn't believe them. This case, with its seemingly random victims, has her baffled. But as more people go missing, nothing will be more terrifying than when it all starts making sense....… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible