Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir

by Liz Prince

Eschewing female stereotypes throughout her early years and failing to gain acceptance on the boys' baseball team, Liz learns to embrace her own views on gender as she comes of age, in an anecdotal graphic novel memoir.
    Escape from "Special" by Miss Lasko-Gross (weener)
    weener: These are both great graphic memoirs about bright young women and their struggles in their childhood/adolescence.

An honest and heartfelt memoir. The ending felt a bit rushed and a few plot points dropped and never touched on again (what happened to Dusty??) but all in all a good read. This book will easily find its fans. ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |
I love Liz Prince's cute sort of simple art style, and this is a really well done memoir. I'll definitely be giving it to kids who enjoy [a: Raina Telgemeier|21618|Raina Telgemeier|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1200153437p2/21618.jpg], anyone who's looking for something with bullies, and people who might be feeling like outcasts.
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
I found this at the library (which has an incredible selection for a public library!). It's been on my to-read list since I found out about Liz Prince from Tumblr. It's a good exploration of gender norms and how internalizing social pressure can feel as a kid. It's also a good and gentle display of how the infrastructure of childhood (school, sex-ed, &c) can all come together to really isolate other people until they find their own people in spite of it all. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  jtth | May 4, 2020 |
It was great! The voice, story and writing are all spot on. Funny in a sort of dry, effortless way about personal and difficult experiences. The drawing is equally just right. A very approachable narrative about growing up and dealing with gender and identity within a society which ranges from accepting to hostile or confused on that topic. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
My book review for this graphic memoir is on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 16, 2019 |
s there any grade-school struggle more defining than the desire to fit in? In her first full-length graphic novel, award-winning comics artist Prince tells the story of her lifelong battle with gender stereotypes through the lens of her tomboy childhood, marked by a preference for male role models, slouchy oversize clothes, and some serious bullying. As a kid, Prince chafed at femininity—“Given the chance, I’d much rather wield a sword than wear a tiara”—but her offbeat choices made it hard for her to find friends or a boyfriend. She starts to believe that her disinterest in being girly is what makes her unlikable, and soon she feels embarrassed by being a girl altogether. Luckily, she eventually finds a group of people who appreciate her differences and don’t expect her to act a particular way just because she is a girl. Prince’s tongue-in-cheek black-and-white line drawings, in a charming style reminiscent of Jeffrey Brown’s autobiographical comics, pack a punch in this empowering memoir that should have ample appeal for any kid who feels like an outsider.

Liz Princeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grano, AdamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prince, LizDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to these strong women:

My mom, Linda Prince, who raised three strong-willed kids and treated us all with support, understanding, and respect.

Gail Snyder, who taught me to look more closely at the hard things in life: they're trying to tell you something if you'll listen.

Claire Sanders, who faced cancer with sass and humor, and continues to laugh her way through what life throws at her.

Zest Books

An edition of this book was published by Zest Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,238,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible