The Memory Garden by Mary Rickert

The Memory Garden

by Mary Rickert

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
I honestly found this powerful and charming. Just great. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
The Memory Garden by Mary Rickert is a pensive and lyrical narrative about the trepidation and surprise of aging, its physical discomfort and pain, its impending inevitability. It’s also a story about the vitality and trust of a friendship between women that’s depth and longevity prove to be unchanged regardless of how much time has passed. It’s also a story of the weight of guilt, its burden, and the poison of secrecy and its old haunts that can pollute one’s life with sadness, fear, regret. Lastly, it is a story of meaning—of flowers and of love.

The narrative in The Memory Garden is as quietly lush and punctuated with flare and oddity as its descriptive garden filled with orphaned shoes and wild flowers.

It’s that of Nan, her worries and complaints of aging, her resignation to its unexpectancy, but its harsh inevitability.

And it’s that of Bay, the restless longing and rebellion of youth, its innocence and confusion, its desire for identity and truth.

The result is an intimate discourse on the mother-daughter relationship, its joy and weariness, its gaps not only in age, but in the mystery of the unknown. And it is at its heart, a window to the uniqueness and flair in which the two live, as both outcasts in their small town, victims of rumour and discrimination.

To read the rest of my review, you're more than welcome to visit my blog, The Bibliotaphe Closet at: http://zaraalexis.wordpress.com

- Zara
  ZaraD.Garcia-Alvarez | Jun 6, 2017 |
Magical realism to keep you entranced! Rickert manages to spin a story that is light and funny and heart-breaking all at the same time. The initial question of whether Bay's mother is a witch turns into a much deeper story of longing, regret and the desire for forgiveness. If you enjoy stories by Alice Hoffman or Sarah Addison Allen, this is a great book choice for you. Also, the Reader's Guide at the back of the book is one of the best I have seen, providing lots of ideas to think about and discuss. ( )
  PeggyDean | Dec 31, 2016 |
I loved this book. Intrigued with secrets, witches and moonflowers, then this is your summer read. Here is my full review on my blog: Thank the Maker. http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2014/07/ida-review-of-memory-garden.html ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
  Girlscifi | Jan 16, 2016 |

Mary Rickertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lynch, KathleenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pettis, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marie Angkuw, Mary Leanord, Liz Musser and In loving memory of Sharon Tholl 1960-2009
Over the years, shoes were often thrown at the old house brooding atop its slope on Muir Glenn Road.

Bay's mother, Nan, has kept lots of secrets from her, and when Nan meets up with her estranged friends Mavis and Ruthie, the secrets just begin to be revealed.Bay Singer has bigger secrets than most. Not that she knows about them. Her mother, Nan, is sure that the burden of those secrets would be to much, and that's why she's never told anyone the truth, not even Bay. There's a lot that Nan's kept quiet over the years, especially those times with Mavis and Ruthie,- times that were dark and full of guilt. But some secrets have a power all their own, and Nan realizes she needs Mavis and Ruthie now more than ever. When the three meet again in Nan's garden, their reunion has spellbinding effects that none of them could have imagined, least of all Bay. -- From back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,226,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible