The memory garden by Mary Rickert

The memory garden

by Mary Rickert

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
Magical realism to keep you entranced! Rickert manages to spin a story that is light and funny and heart-breaking all at the same time. The initial question of whether Bay's mother is a witch turns into a much deeper story of longing, regret and the desire for forgiveness. If you enjoy stories by Alice Hoffman or Sarah Addison Allen, this is a great book choice for you. Also, the Reader's Guide at the back of the book is one of the best I have seen, providing lots of ideas to think about and discuss. ( )
  PeggyDean | Dec 31, 2016 |
I loved this book. Intrigued with secrets, witches and moonflowers, then this is your summer read. Here is my full review on my blog: Thank the Maker. http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2014/07/ida-review-of-memory-garden.html ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
  Girlscifi | Jan 16, 2016 |
What frightens Nan is the way the past sneaks up on the present, consuming all in its path.

Give me a story featuring a young adult, who doesn't quite know the person she is yet or what she wants to do with her life, living with an old woman, who has secrets to tell and wisdom to bestow, set in a small town in which the two rank highest on the gossip hounds' list, and I'm happy as a petunia in early July. The Memory Garden was that, times 100.

I loved how every chapter started with a plant description; how Nan could tell who was lying by the way their words tasted; how the garden was almost as predominant a character as Bay, Nan, Mavis and Ruthie; how Nan used the shoes people threw at her house as planters; how I could taste every dish during the Flower Feast; how magic felt completely real and incredibly possible.

But my favorite thing about this book was the way it explored friendships: the loyalty and devotion; that it's never too late to forgive, let go and move on.

4 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Aug 29, 2015 |
Absolutely loved this book.
Didn't want it to end but couldn't put it down. Just a very sweet story with wonderful characters, great plot and ended as it should. The characters are still with me! ( )
  KarenHerndon | Jul 26, 2015 |

Mary Rickertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lynch, KathleenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pettis, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marie Angkuw, Mary Leanord, Liz Musser and In loving memory of Sharon Tholl 1960-2009
Over the years, shoes were often thrown at the old house brooding atop its slope on Muir Glenn Road.

Bay Singer has bigger secrets than most. Not that she knows about them. Her mother, Nan, is sure that the burden of those secrets would be to much, and that's why she's never told anyone the truth, not even Bay. There's a lot that Nan's kept quiet over the years, especially those times with Mavis and Ruthie,- times that were dark and full of guilt. But some secrets have a power all their own, and Nan realizes she needs Mavis and Ruthie now more than ever. When the three meet again in Nan's garden, their reunion has spellbinding effects that none of them could have imagined, least of all Bay. -- From back cover.… (more)

29 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,269,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible