The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the…

The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Daniel J. Levitin (Author)

Member:deldevries
Title:The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload
Authors:Daniel J. Levitin (Author)
Info:Dutton (2014), Edition: 2nd prt., 528 pages
Collections:Currently reading

The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload by Daniel J. Levitin (2014)

Recently added byprivate library, charlespop, Floyd3345, MFam, trespassersw, KarlaRS, jmgear, tvillanu

This book utilizes recent findings in neurology to develop some ideas to help you remember and organize information. It is organized into three parts and those three parts are further subdivided into chapters. It speaks of the glut of information available, and the limitations of a human mind to process it all. So it lists a lot of things that work, a few of which are rather expensive, I will admit.

For instance, one way to remember things is to have a dedicated secretary for all of that. The cheaper way is to go and get a calendar program and connect it up to a database like Excel or something. If you are a Luddite, you can write things on 3x5 cards and organize those.

So the guy lists a lot of techniques but you have to look for that kind of advice carefully. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
The amount of retention that you gain through Levitin's careful prose is surprising. He elucidates concepts clearly and succinctly while providing relative background information to justify his points. There are also many real-world and abstract examples to support his findings, which helps with the overall flow and poise of the book. This is a mind-building exercise. Through what Levitin teaches, I feel like I have a better comprehension on how to separate important information from that which is not. A groundbreaking book in modern non-fiction, it deserves all the aplomb it gets.

4 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
Honestly I did not read the entire thing. Just some parts. It seems to have great information, from the parts I read. I would recommend it. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
It wasn't for me Not unlike The End of Absence, this book looks at all the information that we are battered with on a daily basis and how to organize our thoughts. We have too many choices, and have so much freedom to choose can sometimes paralyze us. Sometimes we can filter out extraneous information, but to what point can we filter it out and what do we do when multiple things demand our attention? How do we organize ourselves so can make better use of our time and energy?

The book explains how this works in our brain and what other factors can affect it. For example, being deprived of sleep has been shown to affect how we learn, because the brain doesn't have time to organize and process what we've learned. But we can't say utilize naps to help us learn, because different types of sleep affect us differently. And so on.

Levitin then discusses what to take from this and how we should teach our children. Overall I couldn't get into the book and could only skim it. I really enjoyed the idea of it, but it got a little too textbook-ish for my liking and perhaps I just wasn't in the right mind for it. Still, it looks like an intriguing book and I'm sure there are those who would find this fascinating. This might be a book I may pick up to try again someday. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
For a book with the objective of reducing information overload, it really overloaded the information. There are some good tidbits early on, but most of the latter two thirds of the book is just about where all the information is coming from. Oh, five of the chapter titles start with "Organizing", but ... not really.

Something many people don't realize:Externalizing memory doesn’t have to be in physical artifacts like calendars, tickler files, cell phones, key hooks, and index cards—it can include other people. The professor is the prime example of someone who may act as a repository for arcane bits of information you hardly ever need. Or your spouse may remember the name of that restaurant you liked so much in Portland .
This made me laugh/snort:And apparently, in the online world, political leaning is more sensitive and less likely to be disclosed than age, height, or weight. Online daters are significantly more likely to admit they’re fat than that they’re Republicans.
An obvious one in "What to Teach Our Children", after an analysis of what was pushed by search engines (without validation):Because the Web is unregulated, the burden is on each user to apply critical thinking when using it.
A lot of interesting material in here, but in my opinion, not a lot of actual "hows" for a casual reader. Maybe there is and it just seemed too obvious to me? ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
To my mother and father for all they taught me
Introduction
We humans have a long history of pursuing neural enhancement—ways to improve the brains that evolution gave us.
Chapter 1
One of the best students I ever had the privilege of meeting was born in communist Romania, under the repressive and brutal rule of Nicolae Ceaușescu.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 052595418X, Hardcover)

New York Times bestselling author and neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin shifts his keen insights from your brain on music to your brain in a sea of details.

The information age is drowning us with an unprecedented deluge of data. At the same time, we’re expected to make more—and faster—decisions about our lives than ever before. No wonder, then, that the average American reports frequently losing car keys or reading glasses, missing appointments, and feeling worn out by the effort required just to keep up.

But somehow some people become quite accomplished at managing information flow. In The Organized Mind, Daniel J. Levitin, PhD, uses the latest brain science to demonstrate how those people excel—and how readers can use their methods to regain a sense of mastery over the way they organize their homes, workplaces, and time.

With lively, entertaining chapters on everything from the kitchen junk drawer to health care to executive office workflow, Levitin reveals how new research into the cognitive neuroscience of attention and memory can be applied to the challenges of our daily lives. This Is Your Brain on Music showed how to better play and appreciate music through an understanding of how the brain works. The Organized Mind shows how to navigate the churning flood of information in the twenty-first century with the same neuroscientific perspective.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:19 -0400)

Daniel J. Levitin, Ph.D., uses the latest brain science to demonstrate how people with "organized" minds excel--and how readers can use their methods to regain a sense of mastery over the way they organize their homes, workplaces, and lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,614,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible