The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

The Good Girl

by Mary Kubica

English (144)  Italian (1)  All languages (145)
I'd give this a solid 3-1/2 if I could but I can't go as far as a 4. Good. Enjoyable read. Mystery. Suspense but somewhat predictable. I would recommend it though. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
Description

This was a mixed bag. The story was only mildly interesting mostly because of things that happened in the kidnapping situation didn’t seem believable. But the ending had an interesting twist that made things make more sense. It took a long time to get there but I’m bumping up my rating a bit because of the ending. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jun 9, 2019 |
I listened to this as an Audible book. I enjoy when the different voices of the story are actually read by different voices. It is the story of a young woman who is abducted from a bar in Chicago. Unfortunately, since the story is from several viewpoints, as well as before the abduction and after, you know from the start that she ends up home by the end. That means, every time the abductor aims his gun, threatens to kill her, etc., you know ahead of time he doesn't do it because you already know she makes it home. So, much of the would-be suspense feels drawn out.

The ending is a bit of a twist, but not something you don't wonder about just a little during the book. It was a good listen, but I think I am glad I didn't actually sit still to read it. I was walking the dogs or on the treadmill or just driving around town. ( )
  Lisa5127 | May 25, 2019 |

3.75 stars.

I was given a kindle copy of A Good Girl by Net Galley in return for an honest review. I had some difficulties with the ARC copy I received as there were no chapter headings or even pauses to suggest where one chapter started and the next finished. Unfortunately this made reading this particular novel very difficult especially as it has been written in multiple points of views, and in shifting time sequences alternating between the present and the past. Having said that I persevered and I'm glad that I did as I quickly found the story gripping, and I wanted to read on and find out what happened next.

A Good Girl is written through the eyes of Mia, the captive, Mia's mother, and Gabe the detective running the cause. All three points of view work well and add a depth to the narrative. We feel Mia's confusion when she is kidnapped. Her mother's distress at the unknown fate of her daughter, her sense of failure at being an inadequate mother and Gabe's determination to set things right and solve the case. We also see a rich girl who has a depth to her that at first glance we may have overlooked. Her captive finds that Mia is much more than a spoilt little rich kid. He finds that she isn't that different from him. They both share troubles, that have made them the way that they are, in her case, her father's expectations that she will behave in a certain way and, in his case, his mother's illness.

I had some problems with the initial propositions of the storyline, and with some of the developments within the novel. Why would someone abduct someone with the intention of handing them over and then change their mind? Why would the detective develop feelings for a member of the family, was this really necessary, or does it distract from the storyline?

The ending was a bit of a surprise I just didn't see it coming.

Overall I thought that Mary Kubica's portrayal of Mia's abduction, and the attraction between Mia and her captive was skillfully written but I didn't really buy into the detective following down the love route too. It seemed a bit too much!

Overall I enjoyed The Good Girl, it was a well crafted debut novel, that I would recommend to readers of mystery, thrillers, suspense, contemporary, and psychological thrillers.

My full review is at http://kyrosmagica.wordpress.com

marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |

Blackstone Audio, Inc.Publishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plassmann, Jenssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuitemaker, Karinsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For A & A
I'm sitting at the breakfast nook sipping from a mug of cocoa when the phone rings.

"I've been following her for the past few days. I know where she buys her groceries, where she has her dry cleaning done, where she works. I don't know the color of her eyes or what they look like when she's scared. But I will."

Born to a prominent Chicago judge and his stifled socialite wife, Mia Dennett moves against the grain as a young inner-city art teacher. One night, Mia enters a bar to meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend. But when he doesn't show, she unwisely leaves with an enigmatic stranger. With his smooth moves and modest wit, at first Colin Thatcher seems like a safe one-night stand. But following Colin home will turn out to be the worst mistake of Mia's life.

Colin's job was to abduct Mia as part of a wild extortion plot and deliver her to his employers. But the plan takes an unexpected turn when Colin suddenly decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota, evading the police and his deadly superiors. Mia's mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman will stop at nothing to find them, but no one could have predicted the emotional entanglements that eventually cause this family's world to shatter.

An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller, The Good Girl is a compulsive debut that reveals how even in the perfect family, nothing is as it seems….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

The daughter of a prominent Chicago judge and his socialite wife, inner-city art teacher Mia Dennett is taken hostage by her one-night stand, Colin Thatcher, who, instead of delivering her to his employers, hides her in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota to keep her safe from harm.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,765,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible