Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen…

Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of…

by Ed Catmull, Amy Wallace

Recently added byMikeKay, private library, surbh, carol0909, smathieu00, cseibert

English (50)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
A great combination of management insights and the story of Pixar. ( )
  DemisGR | Jun 27, 2019 |
The book tells a story about how to run a company (Pixar) in the film industry. It covers three major elements: creativity, leadership and business. The whole plot is presented in an intriguing and inspiring form which can be easily digested by non-business related readers.

In the first four chapters Ed Catmull, the author of the book, tells how he set up the business. What principles he had at that stage and so on. I was really astonished by the freedom that the company offered in comparison with other organisations which I have already known.

Next, he shares his two major rules.... (if you like to read my full review please visit my blog https://leadersarereaders.blog/2018/09/18/creativity-inc-overcoming-the-unseen-f...) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
I read this for Mark Zuckerberg’s book club, A Year Of Books. I love Pixar movies and I’m a business student grad, so Creativity, Inc was really appealing to me because it tells the history of Pixar and explains how they do business. There is a lot of great advice in the book for companies (mostly creative companies but really all kinds of businesses could learn a thing or two from this book) and just overall has a good lesson for people in general. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, being candid is important, change is good and typical hierarchy needs to be challenged. I felt Ed Catmull was frank about his experiences and was just honest about how he felt when he was new at managing people. The book goes over the same themes in different situations showing how they continued to help Pixar, it can feel a bit repetitive, but it serves a good purpose to show how what made Pixar work continues to make them work.
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
This was the fastest I burned through a book suggested by our office book club. Pixar is so revered throughout the world that it felt wondrous to hear about the inner workings. Ed seems like the kind of boss I'd love to work for, particularly as a creative type. Hearing about the pitfalls and triumphs through their incredible history of quality motivated me to do better and look for more efficient ways to do my own job. Hearing lots about Steve Jobs was also interesting. Not the most lean book considering the subject matter, but there's a lot of history to go over and I'm glad I read it.

Edit: Not sure how I feel about this now that the allegations regarding John Lasseter have been revealed. This obviously wasn't addressed in the book at all. Does it diminish the lessons Ed mentions? Not sure. It led to a very interesting and thorough book club conversation at our office. Would consider changing my score to reflect this. ( )
  hskey | May 9, 2018 |
A ( )
  BefuddledPanda | Dec 4, 2017 |

Catmull, Edprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wallace, Amymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Altschuler, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ed Catmull's book Creativity, Inc was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,142,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible