Invisible Beasts

by Sharona Muir

"Sophie is an amateur naturalist with a rare genetic gift: the ability to see a marvelous kingdom of invisible, sentient creatures that share a vital, symbiotic relationship with humankind. To record her observations, Sophie creates a personal bestiary and, as she relates the strange abilities of these endangered beings, her tales become extraordinary meditations on love, sex, evolution, extinction, truth, and self-knowledge"--… (more)

I think, after much thought, I finally figured out what the point of this book is. Maybe. I can't say it hung together well, and aside from a strong statement on environmental protection, it lacked drive and passion. Interesting imaginitive premise, almost no plot. It wasn't a terrible read, just not an appealing one.

Advanced reader copy provided by edelweiss.
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I received this book for free with another book that I won from LibraryThing.

The concept of this book is very unique so I loved that aspect.

This book contains a series of vignettes and I liked some more than others. Some were boring, but others were really interesting and thought provoking. Some of my favorites were, “The Keen-Ears,” “Truth Bats,” “The Riddle of Invisible Dogs,” The Antarctic Glass Kraken,” “The Spiders of Theodora,” “The Hypnogator,” “Grand Tour Butterflies,” and “Think Monkey.”

What this book really lacked were illustrations. I would have loved to seen pictures and diagrams of these invisible beasts.

Overall, this was a different but intriguing read. ( )
1 vote oddandbookish | Dec 22, 2017 |
This is a loosely connected collection of short stories. While the beast that feature in each of the stories are mythical, there is a healthy dose of real facts woven in which promoted me to classify this as creative non fiction. The stories are whimsical and insightful offering an interesting window and perspective into the human condition. ( )
  ZephyrusW | Jun 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
(free publishers copy)

review tk ( )
  maribou | Sep 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this through the Early Reviewer program and was really looking forward to it, but it turned out I could just not get into it. I found it interesting, an imagining and detailed bio/description of creates no one ever sees, but for me it read more like non-fiction essays than fiction or even short stories. Which may have been deliberate, but just didn't suit me at the time. Extremely creative and enveloping in the way the author describes the creatures.
  herzogbr | Feb 26, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sharona Muir's book Invisible Beasts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,888,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible