HRC by Jonathan Allen
"The mesmerizing story of Hillary Clinton's political rebirth, based on eyewitness accounts from deep inside her inner circle Hillary Clinton's surprising defeat in the 2008 Democratic primary brought her to the nadir of her political career, vanquished by a much younger opponent whose message of change and cutting-edge tech team ran circles around her stodgy campaign. And yet, six years later, she has reemerged as an even more powerful and influential figure, a formidable stateswoman and the presumed front-runner for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, marking one of the great political comebacks in history. The story of Hillary's phoenixlike rise is at the heart of HRC, a riveting political biography that journeys into the heart of "Hillaryland" to discover a brilliant strategist at work. Masterfully unfolded by Politico's Jonathan Allen and The Hill's Amie Parnes from more than two hundred top-access interviews with Hillary's intimates, colleagues, supporters, and enemies, HRC portrays a seasoned operator who negotiates political and diplomatic worlds with equal savvy. Loathed by the Obama team in the wake of the primary, Hillary worked to become the president's greatest ally, their fates intertwined in the work of reestablishing America on the world stage. HRC puts readers in the room with Hillary during the most intense and pivotal moments of this era, as she mulls the president-elect's offer to join the administration, pulls the strings to build a coalition for his war against Libya, and scrambles to deal with the fallout from the terrible events in Benghazi--all while keeping one eye focused on 2016. HRC offers a rare look inside the merciless Clinton political machine, as Bill Clinton handled the messy business of avenging Hillary's primary loss while she tried to remain above the partisan fray. Exploring her friendships and alliances with Robert Gates, David Petraeus, Leon Panetta, Joe Biden, and the president himself, Allen and Parnes show how Hillary fundamentally transformed the State Department through the force of her celebrity and her unparalleled knowledge of how power works in Washington. Filled with deep reporting and Game Change-esque storytelling, this remarkable portrait of the most important female politician in American history is an essential inside look at the woman who may be our next president"-- "An examination of the strategy behind Hillary Clinton's political revitalization and her comeback in the US and abroad"--… (more)
Member:JortPossel
Title:HRC
Authors:Jonathan Allen
Info:; 1 online resource (ePub2, 463 pagina's, 1387722 bytes); http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=394638204

HRC: State Secrets and the Rebirth of Hillary Clinton by Jonathan Allen

Don't go in thinking you're going to learn a lot about Hillary Clinton's foreign policy; you'll learn more from [b:The Secretary: A Journey with Hillary Clinton from Beirut to the Heart of American Power|15794108|The Secretary A Journey with Hillary Clinton from Beirut to the Heart of American Power|Kim Ghattas|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1439818077s/15794108.jpg|21653640] about her philosophy and governing principles if that's what you're interested in. But this is a fascinating account of the internal politics of the four years she served as Obama's Secretary of State. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Crooked Hillary is here described in regards to the Obama versus Clinton controversy. Although this is a laudatory biography it is clear that Hillary had little to contribute to foreign policy. She had minor success in obscure places such as Burma. She comes across as a War hawk and a tireless campaigner but she has reached her limits as an effective administrator. She was burned out by the time she became the nominee in 2016.
  gmicksmith | Jan 15, 2017 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
This biography describes Hiliary's life with a focus on her run for president, her service as Secretary of State, and her potential run for president in 2016. The author provides detailed insight into her relationships and work ethics. I feel that I understand who she and what type of person she is after reading this book. I recommend this book to anyone interested in understanding one of the most powerful women in American politics and potentially our next president. ( )
  GlennBell | Sep 29, 2016 |
“‘I sort of describe it as “stages of Hillary,”’ one member of Defense Secretary Robert Gates’s inner circle said. ‘You know, you first dread the prospect of working with her, then you sort of begrudgingly begin to respect her, then you outright respect her and her incredible work ethic. You know she’s inexhaustible, she’s tough-minded ... she’s charming and she’s funny and she’s interesting and she’s inquisitive and she’s engaging’” HRC – Kindle location 1682.

I’m not sure why I chose to read this biography of a woman whose views are on the other side of the political spectrum from mine and who lives and leads on the U.S. side of the border. But I’m glad I did. Furthermore, I found myself experiencing something like the “stages of Hillary” even as I read about her.

HRC by Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes concerns itself with the six years from Clinton’s withdrawal from the presidential race in 2008 to the present. It ends by discussing the chances Clinton will enter the presidential race of 2016.

By the authors’ accounts, over 200 people provided interviews for the book. Many of these are anonymous but many voices are also named. Thus the book feels factual. However, its angle also gave me the sense that it is groundwork for Clinton’s perhaps-presidential-run in 2016.

In it we experience the Clintons’ shock and disappointment at being beat out by Obama in the 2008 primaries, Hillary’s surprise at being asked to serve as Secretary of State in the Obama cabinet, her baptism into the job, a behind-the-scenes look at statecraft Obama/Clinton style, the inside experience of headline events like the killing of Bin Ladin and the Benghazi incident, and more.

The book is pro-Clinton. I supposed it might be even as I studied the cover with its Hillary cameo of the Mona Lisa smile, and its simple title: HRC (short for Hillary Rodham Clinton), true to the “Hillaryland” way of using abbreviations even as it evokes the image of “Her Royal-highness Clinton.”

Through the book I came to admire Clinton for a multitude of things: her work ethic, her political instincts, her loyalty, her kindness and thoughtfulness, her attempt to understand and put to use new technologies in the service of diplomacy and politics, her toughness under pressure, her idealism, and her faith-grounded reasons for wanting to serve her country.

For me, a Canadian who doesn’t follow U.S. politics closely, the book was over-heavy with details—names of people from the Democratic establishment, the gossipy intricacies of their relationship and history with the Clintons, and program acronyms of which I read the full name once and promptly forget what they stood for. There is, of course, Google, which I resorted to once or twice to get my bearings. But, not needing to understand the minutiae, I didn’t let myself get too bogged in it.

As a whole HRC is an interesting read which will probably gain traction should Hillary Clinton declare herself a candidate for the 2016 presidential race. In that event, HRC will probably help more than hurt her.

I received HRC as a gift from the publisher via Blogging for Books for the purpose of writing a review.

Violet_Nesdoly | Jan 4, 2015 |

Jonathan Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parnes, Amiemain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,525,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible