1984 by George Orwell

1984 (1949)

by George Orwell

74,10911969 (4.23)1 / 1917
"Nineteen Eighty-Four" revealed George Orwell as one of the twentieth century's greatest mythmakers. While the totalitarian system that provoked him into writing it has since passed into oblivion, his harrowing cautionary tale of a man trapped in a political nightmare has had the opposite fate: its relevance and power to disturb our complacency seem to grow decade by decade. In Winston Smith's desperate struggle to free himself from an all-encompassing, malevolent state, Orwell zeroed in on tendencies apparent in every modern society, and made vivid the universal predicament of the individual.… (more)
Member:PrairieProgressive
Title:1984
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Milestone Editions, Paperback
Tags:SF

Work Information

1984 by George Orwell (1949)

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling, Morteana, Waldstein)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Waldstein: It's essential to read Huxley's and Orwell's books together. Both present the ultimate version of the totalitarian state, but there the similarities end. While Orwell argues in favour of hate and fear, Huxley suggests that pleasure and drugs would be far more effective as controlling forces. Who was the more prescient prophet? That's what every reader should decide for him- or herself.… (more)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak, humashaikh)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons, Anonymous user)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Huxley and Zamyatin are practically the canon recommendations for this work, so much so that they hardly need to be mentioned, let alone mentioned again.. Therefore, let me instead recommend a lesser-known work that likewise influenced Orwell's work: Burdekin's dystopian future-history, Swastika Night… (more)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov (BGP)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)

1940s (2)
Elevenses (226)
Read (27)
Read (1)

» See also 1917 mentions

English (1,096)  Spanish (22)  French (12)  Italian (10)  German (8)  Dutch (8)  Swedish (7)  Catalan (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Turkish (1)  Russian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (1,184)
DNF'd at 55 pages

As much as I wanted to get through this just to say I actually read a classic in my free time, I just couldn't. I feel like once you're over 50 pages in, a book should be engaging, if not in its plot then at least in its characters or concept. While the concept is really intriguing, as I love dystopian lit, Winston as a main character is about as flat a glass of stale tap water. Add in his blatant hatred for women and it's painfully obvious this book is a product of its time. Maybe that's just a symptom of me trying to read this in 2022, nearly 75 years after it was initially published- God knows I couldn't even get through the first chapter of Lord of the Rings. But at the end of the day I just had no interest in continuing through pages upon pages of lengthy descriptions, intense yet vague world building, and casual sexism. It's just not for me.
  midnacine | Sep 26, 2022 |
It must be 20 years since I last read 1984. It wasn't at all what I remembered.

I'm more critical now. It's more flawed. The sudden incautiousness of Winston and Julia. The odd first visit to O'Brien. The enormous Goldstein info-dump.

Yet it's more comprehensible by far. Age? Perhaps. Having lived in Spain for a few years? Certainly. Those scenes in the Chestnut Tree Café are still there in many villages in Spain today. The palpable, silent resentment over irreversible acts from the past.

The ending was much different from the one I remembered and much better too.

But heavens, can Orwell write. And he understood something few of us do, and he wrote it down to aid our understanding.

1984 gets better with age. ( )
1 vote ortgard | Sep 22, 2022 |
1984 has always held up well as a book that's worth a reread every decade.
  Laiba_Ejaz1122 | Sep 12, 2022 |
“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”

"1984" is a masterpiece of British literature and a strong, terrifying and stunning study of a tortured soul experiencing foredoomed romance, isolation from social affiliation and a hopeless struggle against totalitarianism and the invincibility of the state he lives in. Not only did I enjoy reading it, it also made me think a lot about the instruments of suppression and the numerous ways to manipulate mental activity. While Winston Smith, the main protagonist, will not be reminded as one of the most multifaceted characters (I mostly cared for his fate because of what has been done to him), Orwell's detailedness of introducing the reader to this dystopian world left me stunned and shocked by the possibilites of totalitarianism.

Orwell completely ignores any existent "show, don't tell" principle, writing thousands of words from a nonfictional viewpoint as part of what is meant to be an eassy from a lexicon on the world's history. Although this chapter explained a lot of important details, it was exhausting to read and nothing I would like to find in a fictional work. In general, Orwell's writing style may be considered to be long-winded, but I consider it to be impressive. As much as "1984" is one of those works which I know I will return to at some point in future, George Orwell is - once again after having read "Animal Farm" some months ago - one of those authors I will never get tired to read of.

4,5 stars, rounded up to 5 stars ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
It's been 30 years since I've read this book and I can see why I hadn't had the desire reread it before now. While there are a good number of thought-provoking lines, the overall story is rather unengaging. Winston is an unlikeable character, the relationship with his girlfriend is definitely "insta-love" (which is annoying no matter the genre), and it is never enjoyable (in my opinion) to read a book inside a book - which, in this case, was just an excuse for massive amounts of info dumping. Overall, I find that I much prefer Brave New World for both the horrifying (yet believable) society that is created and the emotional involvement. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Aug 28, 2022 |

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four.
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four.

Román 1984 je jedno z najznámejších diel svetovej literatúry. Spája v sebe prvky spoločensko-politického a vedecko-fantastického románu. Je obžalobou komunistickej diktatúry, ktorá roku 1984 ovládla všetko, vrátane ľudského myslenia. Román opisuje osudy čestného, citlivého a uvažujúceho jednotlivca (Winstona Smitha), ktorý sa vzoprie systému, za čo platí krutú daň. Orwell touto knihou už roku 1948 ponúkol víziu, ktorá sa neskôr stala realitou.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,948,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible