1984 by George Orwell

1984 (original 1949; edition 1950)

by George Orwell

73,47311889 (4.23)1 / 1911
"Nineteen Eighty-Four" revealed George Orwell as one of the twentieth century's greatest mythmakers. While the totalitarian system that provoked him into writing it has since passed into oblivion, his harrowing cautionary tale of a man trapped in a political nightmare has had the opposite fate: its relevance and power to disturb our complacency seem to grow decade by decade. In Winston Smith's desperate struggle to free himself from an all-encompassing, malevolent state, Orwell zeroed in on tendencies apparent in every modern society, and made vivid the universal predicament of the individual.… (more)
Member:dresdon
Title:1984
Authors:George Orwell
Info:New American Library, Mass Market Paperback, 328 pages

Work Information

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (1949)

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling, Morteana, Waldstein)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Waldstein: It's essential to read Huxley's and Orwell's books together. Both present the ultimate version of the totalitarian state, but there the similarities end. While Orwell argues in favour of hate and fear, Huxley suggests that pleasure and drugs would be far more effective as controlling forces. Who was the more prescient prophet? That's what every reader should decide for him- or herself.… (more)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak, humashaikh)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons, Anonymous user)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Huxley and Zamyatin are practically the canon recommendations for this work, so much so that they hardly need to be mentioned, let alone mentioned again.. Therefore, let me instead recommend a lesser-known work that likewise influenced Orwell's work: Burdekin's dystopian future-history, Swastika Night… (more)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov (BGP)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)

1940s (2)
Elevenses (226)
Read (27)
Read (1)

» See also 1911 mentions

English (1,091)  Spanish (22)  French (12)  Italian (10)  German (8)  Dutch (8)  Swedish (7)  Catalan (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Turkish (1)  Russian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (1,178)
**Beware Some Spoilers**
Classic/5
WAR IS BASED FREEDOM IS CRINGE IGNORANCE IS EPIC 9 10=21 BIG BROTHER APPROVES

NOW I CAN TELL PEOPLE "THIS IS LITERALLY 1984" AND "WOW THAT IS LITERALLY ORWELLIAN" TO ANY INCONVENIENCE AND OPINIONS I DONT AGREE WITH MORE ACCURATELY NOW THAT I'VE READ THE BOOK. THANK YOU GEORGE ORWELL.

Okay, enough jokes.
When reading dystopia, we always hope that somehow the evil government would lose and collapse and the people are free. But in this book, the fact that it did not and would not happen is terrifying. People will say and think that if they are in the same place with Winston, they will be stronger and will endure the torture. But really, we'd probably be another Winston, Syme, or Parsons.

This book is indeed a warning for the future, the importance of freedom of speech and freedom of thought and explanation of how such government had existed and will exist again.

For me, the best book is when the reader is left to think, where after you finished reading that book, you do not immediately put the book to shelf and tell to people "Hey I've finished this book", but you reflect deeply what you have just read, maybe analyze, interpret or relate it to yourself, and you want more of it. And this book is one of them.

I was personally asking myself questions and finding the answer by re-reading several parts of the book. Questions like "What does The Party slogan really mean", "How can The Party hold power", "Why do the people don't ever revolt against The Party", "Why does the torture necessary" "Was Winston right, that The Party will collapse somehow". It's crazy and amazing that there are multiple intepretation of certain aspects of the book itself. Like my personal favourite : The Oceania country is actually like North Korea, where they are cut off from the rest of the world and both Eurasia and Eastasia did not really exist at all. They are really not in war with anybody.

The complex subject matter on this book will always be the reason why this book can be indeed considered a classic and influential.

Too bad this book is now viewed as caricature of "people who I don't agree with"

For the story itself, I can't give a raw evaluation of the story itself due to the fact I've been spoiled a couple times, but I'm sure that the moment when Julia and Winston got caught would have shocked me and I surely would praise the unexpected story's turn of event if I hadn't been spoiled. Also, I would appreciate it if the book did not shove the long Goldstein treatise in the middle of the story.

But yeah, you don't have to agree with me. Who would waste time reading an amateur book review from a 16 year old who doesn't even speak English as their first language? Couldn't be me too.

That's all

-DVP ( )
  DaVarPhi | Aug 18, 2022 |
Disturbingly accurate. Had to read in audiobook form to distance myself from the work. Had nightmares for the first few nights.
  JJamieson | Aug 9, 2022 |
My first book by Orwell. It was soooo good. Took so many notes and wrote down so many words to look up. There's so much to think about in this story. Looking forward to reading another book by this author. I feel forever changed as a result of reading 1984 as I continue to think about the world described and the main character in this story. Highly recommend everyone read this book. ( )
  MorrisonLibrary21512 | Aug 7, 2022 |
"One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Still the Gold Standard in Dystopian.

Loved it. We're living it. Are we not?

More to follow. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 6, 2022 |
9/10. This book was absolutely mind-blowing. The descriptions of a totalitarian society along with explanations for how it is brought about and maintained were chillingly accurate. After I had finished this, the only thought in my mind was " What did I just read? I need to sit down and think." The only miss for me though was the lack of depth in the characters of the book. The message of the book, however, was on point. ( )
  curiouskt | Jul 25, 2022 |

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four.
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four.

Román 1984 je jedno z najznámejších diel svetovej literatúry. Spája v sebe prvky spoločensko-politického a vedecko-fantastického románu. Je obžalobou komunistickej diktatúry, ktorá roku 1984 ovládla všetko, vrátane ľudského myslenia. Román opisuje osudy čestného, citlivého a uvažujúceho jednotlivca (Winstona Smitha), ktorý sa vzoprie systému, za čo platí krutú daň. Orwell touto knihou už roku 1948 ponúkol víziu, ktorá sa neskôr stala realitou.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,102,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible