Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four (original 1949; edition 2003)

by George Orwell, Erich Fromm (Afterword), Thomas Pynchon (Foreword), Daniel Lagin (Designer)

Member:PennyDreadful4
Title:Nineteen Eighty-Four
Authors:George Orwell
Other authors:Erich Fromm (Afterword), Thomas Pynchon (Foreword), Daniel Lagin (Designer)
Info:Plume (2003), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read and Own

1984 by George Orwell (1949)

Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling, Morteana, Waldstein)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Waldstein: It's essential to read Huxley's and Orwell's books together. Both present the ultimate version of the totalitarian state, but there the similarities end. While Orwell argues in favour of hate and fear, Huxley suggests that pleasure and drugs would be far more effective as controlling forces. Who was the more prescient prophet? That's what every reader should decide for his- or herself.… (more)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons, Anonymous user)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Another interesting attempt at a plausible history of the future. Definitely worth reading.
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov (BGP)

1940s (2)
Read (27)

English (784)  Spanish (16)  Italian (8)  French (8)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  Swedish (6)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Turkish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (843)
I realize that I'm "supposed" to love this because it's a classic, but I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and I'd still recommend it. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
As a novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four will chill your bones with tales of almost unbelievable tragic oppression. As a cautionary omen? I think Orwell's ominously prophetic novel is becoming less and less likely the more interconnected the world becomes. I can see where one could think the opposite, but I don't see Big Brother being a real thing other than as conspiracy theory fodder for the uneducated.

That final section, holy smokes, that was one of the most horrific series of scenes I've ever read. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Sep 28, 2016 |
I decided I should read this never having done so before and having heard mention of it many times. I found it hard going in some places as some of the concepts were lost on me.

It is 1984, people are in total subjection to the state who control what they do, say and think. Feelings and emotions are dead and relationships are robotic and lacking life. Those who resist the state even by thought are brought swiftly into line. There is no joy, no hope and no future.

It is a depressing outlook but unfortunately may not be far from where we could all end up. Already we are seeing evidences of the 'thought police' and 'thought crime' in the politically correct brigade. The PC brigade in England have been adopted by the general public and anything they say seems to be incorporated immediately into British law. It is no longer possible to hold certain views or say certain things for fear of investigation by the authorities on behalf of the potentially offended party. Free speech does not exist in practice although in theory the law is there.

As a Christian I am not surprised by this as the Bible teaches that things will get worse as we head towards the end times and Jesus' return. Reading 1984 as a non-believer would probably have depressed and frightened me and made me feel that things were hopeless. But as a Christian I can read it instead as a warning and keep my eyes open to the things that are happening around me. I can ensure that I am ready for all eventualities and that I don't worry knowing that God is in control and that He allows these things for a reason.

This book has a bit of bad language and quite a few sex scenes. I wouldn't describe them as graphic but Christian readers should be aware of this. There are also torture scenes in the book that can make for disturbing reading in places.... ( )
  sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
George Orwell's 1984, written in 1948 is a ground-breaking piece of literature that explores a reality that is startlingly similar to our own. I was quite young when I read it, and I wasn't used to Orwell's prose - I'd only read Animal Farm before that. They say that readers always bring things to texts they read, so my perception of the book hugely contributes to why I didn't warm to it.

I read it over a few days and I thought it was powerful, but I didn't like it.

George Orwell doesn't write women well. In fact, it's almost as if he doesn't write women. ... I could go on for days about Julia, but I won't. This book is allegorical, and makes a very well-articulated point, but I didn't like the characters.

I find that a lot of classical speculative fiction is very concise and neat but they have characters that serve a purpose and thus, don't have the details that other characters have.

That said, I don't think you're supposed to like the characters so I might read it again in a few years and see how I feel about it.

This is an incredible book (despite whatever I said), and you should read it - but it might not be quite what you expect. ( )
1 vote lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
So many people consider Orwell's 1984 a dystopian fantasy, a warning where our 'big brother' government might go. But I know (because I lived through it) that communist (and perhaps other dictatorships') tyrannies in many countries were scarringly close to the picture Orwell so ingenuously painted.
Misuse of technology by Big Brother might happen anywhere but the main point is that in any totalitarian regime the misuse will happen for sure. I guess only the readers who suffered a totalitarian tyranny, especially the one based on the communist ideology, can fully appreciate Orwell's insights. ( )
1 vote parp | Aug 29, 2016 |
Londres, 1984: Winston Smith decide rebelarse ante un gobierno totalitario que controla cada uno de los movimientos de sus ciudadanos y castiga incluso a aquellos que delinquen con el pensamiento. Consciente de las terribles consecuencias que puede acarrear la disidencia, Winston se une a la ambigua Hermandad por mediación del líder O’'Brien. Paulatinamente, sin embargo, nuestro protagonista va comprendiendo que ni la Hermandad ni O'’Brien son lo que aparentan, y que la rebelión, al cabo, quizá sea un objetivo inalcanzable. Por su magnífico análisis del poder y de las relaciones y dependencias que crea en los individuos, 1984 es una de las novelas más inquietantes y atractivas de este siglo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vos, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

3 2027

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible