Fool's Assassin: Book I of the Fitz and the…

Fool's Assassin: Book I of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy (edition 2015)

by Robin Hobb (Author)

FitzChivalry--royal bastard and former king's assassin--has left his life of intrigue behind. As far as the rest of the world knows, FitzChivalry Farseer is dead and buried. Masquerading as Tom Badgerlock, Fitz is now married to his childhood sweetheart, Molly, and leading the quiet life of a country squire. Though Fitz is haunted by the disappearance of the Fool, who did so much to shape Fitz into the man he has become, such private hurts are put aside in the business of daily life, at least until the appearance of menacing, pale-skinned strangers casts a sinister shadow over Fitz's past... and his future. Now, to protect his new life, the former assassin must once again take up his old one...… (more)
Member:Pelirroja67
Title:Fool's Assassin: Book I of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy
Authors:Robin Hobb (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2015), 704 pages
Collections:Read

Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb

English (53)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (55)
This is my second time reading Fool's Assassin and I think I enjoyed it more than the first time round, partly because I could appreciate the second character viewpoint more. The story seems to meander a little at times, but it does all come together eventually. I always have time for a bit of meandering in the Fitz books, anyway! I haven't read the final instalment at all yet, so I'm still guessing at how it will end. Probably not as I expect! ( )
  mooingzelda | Aug 26, 2019 |
I haven't read any other of Robin Hobb's work, especially the previous books dealing with Fitz and the Fool, so I found the beginning a little slow as I tried to make sense of who everyone is. Once Fitz and Molly's daughter Bee is born, the story picks up and never stops.
Molly is far past the time to bear a child, and Bee is tiny and a bit odd. Nevertheless, her parents love her. Fitz is happy living a quiet life at Withywoods with his family around him. However, nothing stays the same and though the Fool has long disappeared, his influence still impacts Fitz.
The Farseer world proves to be fascinating, and I quickly read the rest of this trilogy. It's a great story with compelling characters and wonderful world-building. Now I need to go back and read some of the earlier Hobb books. ( )
  N.W.Moors | May 30, 2019 |
I have had two life-altering experience when it comes to fantasy, first reading David Eddings The Belgariad as a teenager and then reading Robin Hobb The Farseer trilogy in my early twenties. They made me love fantasy. So it was with a great pleasure to finally be able to read the first book in The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy.

In this book Fitz is living a happy life with Molly, raising her sons, living a peaceful life in the country. But when a messenger disappears, everything changes, although he doesn’t know it yet, it will take some time before he realizes that. And that’s how much of the plot I’m going to reveal. The rest is up to you to find out!

Robin Hobb has written a fabulous book, a worthy follow-up The Tawny Man trilogy and I loved every page, every chapter was a truly joyous experience, it’s a book you read until your eyes can’t take in anything more and you have to sleep so you can continue reading the next day. It’s well written and intriguing to read and it’s never boring, even though there isn’t much action in the book. I was pulled into the story and the only thing that I didn’t like was reading the last chapter and knowing that it will be a while before the next book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I should have known that all the tranquility and domestic bliss wasn't going to last. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I never give single stars. I also always read books from goodreads above four stars and have never been disappointed until now. The book is unbelievably boring and tedious. The only conclusion I can come to is that readers giving good reviews are sentimental for the return of the characters after so long. If you like them that much by all means go ahead - if you want to read a decent or even average story avoid this book at all costs ( )
  muwaffaq | Mar 20, 2019 |
It is still impossible to resist. And when the seeds of doom Hobb sowed so near the start of the novel finally begin to sprout, when the life of contentment Fitz has built so carefully around himself starts to crumble in earnest, it is hard to know whether to read as fast as possible, to find out what happens, or to savour the pages, knowing this is the start of another trilogy and that the ending will leave you bereft.
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian (Sep 10, 2014)

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caven, NicoletteFloor plansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colucci, AlejandroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leung, BeverlyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zucker, Christopher M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for the guys.

To Soren, Felix, and Blake.
My dear Lady Fennis,
We have been friends far too long for me to be circumspect.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robin Hobb's book Fool's Assassin was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,945,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible