Burn for Me: A Hidden Legacy Novel by Ilona…

Burn for Me: A Hidden Legacy Novel (edition 2014)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Member:Spurts
Title:Burn for Me: A Hidden Legacy Novel
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:Avon (2014), Edition: Reissue, 406 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

Forget about the whitewashed cover and the not-so-stellar title. This is a fun and good read, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. My favorite part, hands down, was Nevada’s voice and her relationship with her family. That felt like the emotionally truest part of the book, though I did also enjoy watching her struggle to understand the utter sociopath she has to work with. (The sociopath is also the love interest. I still haven’t decided how I feel about that, but I’m very glad Nevada rebuffed him [multiple times, and all the way up to the last few pages].) I liked that he seemed to have layers beyond powerful/gorgeous/rich/etc. He made jokes, and I got the feeling he was fond of gallows humor, but he was also practical to a fault. That practicality caused plenty of friction—not the sexy or good kind—between him and Nevada, and that was fascinating to watch.

Nevada is fundamentally good, which is not usually my cup of tea. However, for this series she is going to be perfect. There is so much badness in the people and the other characters already that to see her struggle against the horrible outcomes that are threatened is wholly refreshing. As the narrator as well as the main character, she is our lifeline and our entertainment, and she plays both parts well.

I also found the plot more compelling than I expected to. In my experience, characters who “have no choice” or are otherwise coerced into something they don’t want to do aren’t usually as boxed in as they should be to warrant that kind of despairing response. I didn’t get that from Nevada. She tried and failed to wiggle her way out of the inciting incident, and then she let everyone she spoke to know that she was doing what she did under protest. Of course, at a certain point she has to own that the stakes have been raised and that she has her own motives to continue on her path, but she does that quite well. I bought and related to her motives entirely.

Overall: there were some weird parts—womanly-this and maleness-that, the mostly-forced-seeming sexual tension between Nevada and the sociopath—but I’ll definitely pick up the sequel when it comes out. (In e-book form, because ugh, that cover.)
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Although I like Ilona Andrews' work a lot, so far I'm not as enthusiastic about the Hidden Legacy series. Mad Rogan is so Alpha, he's obnoxious. I understand why writers use the Alpha character -- to make the change in the character due to his love for the heroine appear even stronger when he falls for her. But if the Alpha charcter is so out there, why would she be interested in him in the first place? In this book, his main and only appeal to he heroine is sexual. He's so gorgeous in her eyes she can't help but be attracted to him. That's usually the start to a bad romance in real life. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 16, 2018 |
Absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the next book. Pretty sure this is their best work yet-and I've loved everything they've written. ( )
  SevenAcreBooks | Jul 11, 2018 |
Burn for Me
5 Stars

Tasked with bringing in a fugitive pyrokinetic, private investigator Nevada Baylor knows when she is in over her head. Things go from bad to worse when rogue billionaire, Connor “Mad” Rogan reveals an interest in the case and decides the best course of action is to kidnap Nevada and coerce information from her. So begins a volatile relationship in which Nevada and Rogan will have to depend on each other if they want to save their city from a rampaging psychopath who may have a hidden agenda …

Incredible world building, brilliant dialogue, sizzling chemistry and a gripping storyline - Ilona Andrews is beyond compare when it comes to Urban Fantasy!

Despite the recognizable similarities between this book and Andrews’ other series, Kate Daniels and The Edge, the differences are sufficient to make this story unique and interesting in its own right.

In a genre inundated with alternate magical worlds, Andrews has formulated a concept that is both original and compelling. Not only does magic in this world have a genetic basis, but it is also the foundation on which financial power and social status is consolidated. Thus, the various characters preoccupation and even obsession with magical genetics and hierarchy adds additional tension and nuance to the setting, characterization and plot.

Like Andrews’ other heroines, Nevada is intelligent, resourceful, snarky, feisty and loyal to a fault. She is also cautious and in possession of a level of self awareness that makes her particularly appealing. Rogan’s physical presence and power as well as his alpha tendencies are reminiscent of Curran yet the nature of his abilities, his family background and his dark and troubling past make him a remarkable hero.

The trademarks of Andrews’ writing are evident in Nevada and Rogan’s relationship whether it be in the sarcastic banter, the off the charts chemistry or the palpable sexual tension that build slowly but surely between them. The potential for romance is definitely there and it will be fascinating to see where it goes in future installments.

The plot is action packed with numerous twists and turns not to mention an abundance of corpses littering the streets (not wholly unexpected in an Andrews novel). Renee Raudman’s narration is fantastic as usual and no one could possibly be better at bringing these characters to life.

All in all, a must read for all lovers of Urban Fantasy and the only bad thing about the book is that it had to come to an end. It will be a long and difficult wait for the next one. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I think I'm turning into an Ilona Andrews fan girl. This is the third series by the author I've tried and it did not disappoint. This one leans more paranormal romance than I normally go for but turns out I didn't mind as much as I thought I would. There was enough urban fantasy mixed in to balance the romance out.

Nevada Baylor has been put in a bad situation. She can either take a suicidal mission or forfeit the family business to the corporation who owns their mortgage. Feeling like she's been set up to fail Nevada takes the job, determined not to cave to corporate bullying. Of course all she has to do is find and convince Adam Pierce, a pyrotechnic Prime (the most powerful classification of magic users), to come home to his family. Just as Nevada gets going she finds herself kidnapped by Connor "Mad" Rogan, a telekinetic Prime who is also trying to track down Pierce. Rogan needs the information Nevada's gathered and Nevada needs a Prime on her side if she wants to have any hope of surviving.

The world building is interesting. The story is set in alternate Houston. Back in the 1800s scientists discovered a serum that unlocks magic powers in humans. Turns out these powers can be inherited by future generations. Magical abilities manifest differently in each person, both in the nature and magnitude of the power, and as with many hereditary traits they stay relatively similar throughout a family line. Naturally the wealthy worked hard to match up the best bloodlines to build up their families, which are now called Houses. In modern day this has lead to many Houses that vie for power over the world.

Nevada is a strong heroine. She's fierce, protective of her family, very determined, has a solid set of morals and a healthy dose of compassion. She has a low grade power of being a human lie detector, which comes in quite useful in her line of work. The rest of the Baylor family is a great supporting cast and their family dynamics are hilarious. Everyone pitches in though Nevada is the primary breadwinner since their father died and mom suffers from an old army injury that limits her mobility. Even the younger siblings and cousin provide assistance. I think I love grandma the most, in her 70s and still a tech mage that fixes tanks! On the flip side you have Connor, aka Mad Rogan. He is morally ambiguous, lived a life of privilege though didn't have a great childhood, is ex-military and his the control he has over his powers scares most people. Yes, he's quite the bad ass. I'm still not entirely sure of his motivations though he and Nevada seem to be a good pair. They challenge each other which provides opportunities for each to grow.

About the romance. I like that it is more drawn out. Instead of insta-love it starts as insta-lust, which is much more believable to me, and seems like it will work its way to the real thing in the next book or two. Also the Andrews can write a steamy kiss that puts many sex scenes to shame. I did get tired of Nevada's habit to obsess about it in her mind. Thankfully those sections never lasted too long.

The book has other flaws too but in the end I just didn't care. The story has tons of action, a neat mystery, fun characters, an interesting world and is just so darn entertaining that I could overlook the inconsistencies. ( )
  Narilka | Apr 26, 2018 |
To our awesome daughters, who make it all worthwhile, and the rest of our family, who drive us crazy.
In 1863, in a world much like our own, European scientists discovered the Osiris serum, a concoction which brought out one's magic talents.

Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile situation. Nevada isn't sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she's kidnapped by Connor "Mad" Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run and wanting to surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan's after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she's getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.

Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career: a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile case. Nevada isn't sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible