President Taft Is Stuck in the Bath by Mac…

President Taft Is Stuck in the Bath (2014)

by Mac Barnett

We all learn fun facts about our presidents growing up. President Taft's un fact was that he was stuck in his tub. I really enjoyed this book and the illustration where bright and beautiful. I plan on reading This book in my future classes. ( )
  Rvalencia | May 2, 2018 |
Hilarious rendition of President Taft. Taft is known to be the largest president in history and actually got stuck in a bath tub and as a result he had a custom made bathtub for the White House. This story exaggerates the story to make it enjoyable for readers. At first, Taft doesn't want anyone to know but winds up calling the VP, secretary of state, secretary of agriculture, secretary of war and more. It took 8 people to get the president out of the tub! Pulling him out of the tub was his wife's idea adding to the notion that behind every man is a great woman. I absolutely loved the illustrations! They made President Taft look hilarious, especially when he flew out of the bathtub! ( )
  tmahlie | Mar 13, 2018 |
In my learning of history, all that I can recall of President Taft is that he has been said to have gotten stuck in the White House bathtub. Though it may not be true at all, this story is very humorous to those who love that tale. This book is about how difficult it was to have the president removed from the bathtub. The author's note is very comical, as Barnett shares facts that pertain to president Taft and bathtubs everywhere. My favorite part of the book is the last line of the author's note--"But more than a century later, this is the story we're still telling. And to people like me, that's all that matters." ( )
  syd_neylol | Feb 17, 2018 |
President Taft, a very large man, got stuck in the bathtub. His wife, Nellie, kept trying to offer suggestions but he shut her down and wouldn't let her say more than one word before ordering more and more important men to come help him. Ultimately, it was Nellie's idea that got him out. ( )
  Tarawyn | Dec 7, 2017 |
Summary: This book is about the 27th President of the United States, William Howard Taft. Taft was the largest president in history and it is a fact that he did get stuck in the bathtub and had a custom made bathtub for the white house big enough for him. The book begins with Taft being stuck in the bathtub and after two hours his wife comes and checks on him. At first he denies anything is wrong and then his wife panics and remarks to call the Vice President! When the VP shows up and Taft is still stuck the VP is ready to take over the Presidency. As the book goes on, the President calls different government officials to come help him get out of the bath with methods like dynamite, deep sea divers, throwing money, and others. Finally the 8 people in the bathroom pull President Taft out of the bath!

Personal Response: This book is a hilarious take on history and the illustrations are great. The pictures of an overweight president naked flying through the air is funny to kid and brings humor to history.

Classroom Extension:
1. The teacher can use this book along with others to learn fun facts about the presidents.
2. Have the students color a picture of Taft in the bath.
  KatherineMoon | Jul 17, 2017 |

Inspired by a true anecdote, this larger-than-life tale of a presidential mishap is brimming with humor and over-the-top illustrations.

"Blast!" said Taft. "This could be bad."

George Washington crossed the Delaware in the dead of night. Abraham Lincoln saved the Union. And President William Howard Taft, a man of great stature — well, he got stuck in a bathtub. Now how did he get unstuck? Author Mac Barnett and illustrator Chris Van Dusen bring their full comedic weight to this legendary story, imagining a parade of clueless cabinet members advising the exasperated president, leading up to a hugely satisfying, hilarious finale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

George Washington crossed the Delaware in the dead of night. Abraham Lincoln saved the Union. And President William Howard Taft, a man of great stature - well, he got stuck in a bathtub. Now how did he get unstuck? Author Mac Barnett and illustrator Chris Van Dusen bring their full comedic weight to this legendary story, imagining a parade of clueless cabinet members advising the exasperated president, leading up to a hugely satisfying, hilarious finale.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,195,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible