Revival by Stephen King

Revival (edition 2014)

by Stephen King

2,4721743,866 (3.68)1 / 118
"In a small New England town over half a century ago, a boy is playing with his new toy soldiers in the dirt in front of his house when a shadow falls over him. He looks up to see a striking man, the new minister, Jamie learns later, who with his beautiful wife, will transform the church and the town. The men and boys are a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls, with the Reverend Jacobs--including Jamie's sisters and mother. Then tragedy strikes, and this charismatic preacher curses God, and is banished from the shocked town. Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from age 13, he plays in bands across the country, running from his own family tragedies, losing one job after another when his addictions get the better of him. Decades later, sober and living a decent life, he and Reverend Charles Jacobs meet again in a pact beyond even the Devil's devising, and the many terrifying meanings of Revival are revealed. King imbues this spectacularly rich and dark novel with everything he knows about music, addiction, and religious fanaticism, and every nightmare we ever had about death. This is a masterpiece from King, in the great American tradition of Frank Norris, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edgar Allan Poe"--… (more)
Member:barb284
Title:Revival
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner, Kindle Edition, 416 pages

Revival: A Novel by Stephen King

English (166)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (175)
Stephen King always writes stories that are a degree off of normal at the beginning and by the end they are far off course and in the middle of nowhere. It's a brilliant strategy. ( )
  carliwi | Sep 23, 2019 |
It's Stephen King!
Very well written
I love the beginning - a young Jamie begins a friendship with the new town pastor Rev Jacobs. I was so afraid of that friendship and intrigued by the young pastor at the same time.
Very interesting take on Frankenstein. ( )
  tdpmoore | Aug 8, 2019 |
It got real creepy at the end. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
I think it's a 3.5 or 3.75. not quite a 4. creepy but not scary. great characters as usual, the familiar comfort of starting a Stephen King. Slow paced, nuanced, but maybe just a little too subtle for me. ( )
  Swybourn | May 29, 2019 |
For a while, I actually thought that this would be the first book I would give five stars to in ages. But in the end, it just got four stars. Why? Because of the ending. I just didn't like it very much. It was very depressing and for some reason, it felt like a letdown. All I could think was: "Is that all, have I been reading all day for that kind of ending?" I would rather have had a more ambiguous ending to the story. Instead of just the bleak ending. (I need to read something cheerful after this...) However, I'm sure there are people that will love the ending, and it was not a bad ending, but perhaps I'm just a gal that what some hope in the end...

The rest of the book was great, I love Jamie and his family. I love watching him growing up, hell I would have loved reading a book about Jamie's life without Charles Jacobs. I know Jamie would have been a hell of a lot of happier without him in his life. Stephen King is a master telling tales, he has an uncanny ability to create interesting characters (both good and bad) and this book is one his greatest! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
The last part of the book moves from the raw emotion about family, love, aging and lost opportunity — all of it written with unusual candor, even for Mr. King — to the horror legacy of those names to whom the book is dedicated.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Nov 13, 2014)

...veteran yarn spinner King continues to point out the unspeakably spooky weirdness that lies on the fringes of ordinary life.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reivews (Oct 2, 2014)

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
iStock/ThinkstockCover imagesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

—H. P. Lovecraft
This book is for some of the people who built my house:

Mary Shelley
August Derleth
Shirley Jackson
Robert Bloch
Peter Straub

And ARTHUR MACHEN, whose short novel The Great God Pan has haunted me all my life.
In one way, at least, our lives really are like movies.
When I think of Charles Jacobs--my fifth business, my change agent, my nemesis--I can't bear to believe his presence in my life had anything to do with fate. It would mean that all these terrible things--these horrors--were meant to happen. If that is so, then there is no such thing as light, and our belief in it is a foolish illusion. If that is so, we live in darkness like animals in a burrow, or ants deep in their hill.

And not alone.
Astrid and I spent most of the breaks kissing, and I began to taste cigarettes on her breath. I didn't mind. When she saw that (girls have ways of knowing), she started to smoke around me, and a couple of times she'd blow a little into my mouth while we were kissing. It gave me a hard-on I could have broken concrete with.

In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men and boys are all a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls feel the same about Reverend Jacobs—including Jamie’s mother and beloved sister, Claire. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond based on a secret obsession. When tragedy strikes the Jacobs family, this charismatic preacher curses God, mocks all religious belief, and is banished from the shocked town.

Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from the age of thirteen, he plays in bands across the country, living the nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll while fleeing from his family’s horrific loss. In his mid-thirties—addicted to heroin, stranded, desperate—Jamie meets Charles Jacobs again, with profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil’s devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,795,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible