Puddle Pug by Kim Norman

Puddle Pug (2014)

by Kim Norman

animals (4) audio (1) audiobook (2) CD (2) children (2) children's picture book (1) dirty (1) dogs (10) farm (1) favorites (1) friendship (2) GR (1) helping (1) humor (1) making friends (2) messy (1) mud (3) paperback (1) pets (1) picture (1) picture book (7) pigs (6) play (3) preschool storytime (1) puddle (1) puddles (4) pugs (1) puppy (1) sharing (3) storytime (1)

An absolutely adorable book. I leaved through it at the store, read a few pages, and promptly purchased it. Percy is drawn in a cute fashion, sort of like a teddy bear, and his poses and expressions are extensive. The narrative has a bouncing rhyme at times, with short prose that's easy to read, in short lines and the occasional paragraph. It would be a cute book to read with a child, or perhaps to just to give to someone who likes pugs. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Jan 26, 2019 |
Percy is a pug who loves puddles. One day he finds the perfect puddle, but unfortunately he's not welcome. It's not until he saves they day for Mam Pig that she lets him join the puddle.
  RachaelBunch | Apr 9, 2018 |
I thought that this was an adorable book! This book is about a pug named Percy that is looking for the perfect puddle to jump and play in. I really enjoyed the plot of this book. I liked how the author described all the different kinds of puddles that Percy likes to play in. For example, the author wrote, “[Percy] loved puddles of every sort: Swamp puddles, stomp puddles, ready-for-a-romp puddles.” The book does continue to name all the different kinds of puddles that Percy enjoys. I also found the illustrations to be very well done and entertaining. I loved seeing the different facial expressions of Percy. Seeing his different facial expressions such as happy, sad, scared, annoyed, etc. really enhanced the story. I felt that the illustrator did a good job showing the different emotions of Percy while still maintaining the humor of the story. After reading this book, I found that the big idea of the story is to never judge a book by its cover. ( )
  GaiaGonzales | Nov 3, 2014 |
This book, in my opinion, was a success. The way the illustrations and sentences were structured was done nicely. The story is about a Pug and you really get a feel for him as a happy go lucky kind of dog. The writing was smooth and was easy to read. When I first picked up the book I thought it would be for younger ages but some of the pages had difficult words like whistle, scattered and twitched. The book ranges from 10 words to a page to 30-40 words. The plot is well organized, concise and very clear. Percy the Pug talks about all his puddles that he sees on his walk. He loves the puddles until he sees the “perfect” puddle. The language used shows how disappointed when the Pigs in that puddle don’t want him in it. The point of view (third person) allows readers to feel the view both the pig and pug have on the puddle. The pug is so mad he can’t go in the “perfect” puddle, he doesn’t enjoy any of the other ones. But one day a storm comes down in the area and one of the baby pigs get’s lost. The author creates an atmosphere by the use of language that has a dog who wants to be accepted by the pigs. The well-organized story pushes readers to see that you have to give everyone a shot and once the dog finds the baby pig, the other pigs allow him in this “perfect puddle”. I believe that big idea is for children not to exclude anyone and don’t just a book by its cover. ( )
  JordanMyers | Oct 7, 2014 |
I didn't think I'd like this at all - I didn't care for the pastel colors and the white space on the cover (or should that be blue space?), I'm not into the "ugly cute" thing, and I don't like pugs. But I was won over despite all my objections and I can't wait to introduce this adorable book to my patrons.

The story opens with "Percy was a puddle pug. He loved puddles of every sort" and goes on to introduce us to all his favorite puddles, with him delightedly bouncing through the mud and water of course. He even makes a map of all his favorite spots. But something is missing...then he discovers the best puddle of all! There's just one problem; it's already occupied with a family of pigs and while the piglets would love a new friend, mama pig does NOT think pugs belong in her puddle. Percy persists though and finally is welcomed to join the plump and pink family of porkers in their perfect puddle.

The art is light hues and pastels, with plenty of cuteness; all the animals have adorable expressions and are round and cute. There's plenty of character not just in the animals but in the different puddles themselves and the little things that make them all unique. The art is much better than the cover shows and there's a lot more detail and background than I expected. I think a less simplified cover would have encouraged me to pick this up sooner.

Verdict: This has a sweet little message, but it's not really didactic. It's mostly just a fun, cute story - the perfect addition to any library collection. Give it a chance and it will definitely repay the time.

ISBN: 9781454904366; Published 2014 by Sterling; Borrowed from another library in my consortium; Added to the library's order list
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jul 13, 2014 |
For Moira, who always helps me think outside the puddle, in memory of Sniffles. -K.N.

For my parents, Sumiko and Koshiro, who always have been supportive of my passion to pursue my dreams. -K.Y.
Percy was a puddle pug. He loved puddles of every sort.
Foggy puddles, froggy puddles,
deeper-than-a-doggy puddles.

(Jacket description)

"Percy the Pug adores puddles, especially the squishy, muddy puddle that a pig family calls home. But stubborn Mama Pig is certain that pugs and piglets don't mix. Will Percy's determination and quick thinking be enough to convince her that he's worthy of sharing their wallow?"

Percy the pug searches far and wide for the perfect puddle but when he finds it, Mama pig is unhappy about him joining her family until a storm provides Percy the opportunity to prove himself to her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,092,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible