The Light Who Shines (Bluebell Kildare…

The Light Who Shines (Bluebell Kildare Series) (Volume 1) (edition 2014)

by Lilo Abernathy (Author), Shauna Ward (Editor)

266593,513 (4)1
Member:furrykidz
Title:The Light Who Shines (Bluebell Kildare Series) (Volume 1)
Authors:Lilo Abernathy (Author)
Other authors:Shauna Ward (Editor)
Info:Lilo Abernathy (2014), Edition: 1, 370 pages

The Light Who Shines by Lilo Abernathy

A vamp love-interest, a mysterious wolf, and the fate of the world.

This work surprised me with the quality of the story, but more than that, with the artful way in which the author maintained suspense and generated real concern for the characters. Bluebell has the patience of a saint with Jack's shenanigans, though.

Tiny complaints: The bad guy was a bit too obvious. And I don't know about putting an explanation of the book at the beginning of the book (Kindle version), as a landing page - I don't really want to hear about all the book before I read it, and there was a bit to flip through to get to the beginning. Maybe a table of contents would work better to land on, so readers could choose to read or skip that part. ( )
  WingedWolf | Aug 12, 2016 |
All the melodrama of a bad romance and with half the sex. With a little more polishing this book could have been much better. ( )
  LaPhenix | May 25, 2016 |
I would describe The Light Who Shines, author Lilo Abernathy's debut novel, as crime-meets-paranormal with a fair amount of mystery, thrills, some romance and a pretty steamy sex scene or two!

It is the year 2022, in the time of the Red Ages. Bluebell Kildare is an Inspector attached to the Homicide Unit of the Supernatural Investigation Bureau. The Unit picks up cases in which the perpetrator is a Vampire or someone magically Gifted. Blue is signed a new case in which the victim met his end in a particularly gory manner, unusual in that it is seemingly unrelated to his Gift.

Lilo Abernathy's words tell the story with an easy flow, pulling you in slowly from the start, until you realised hours have passed but you just have to read one more chapter! The characters are engaging and endearing, or menacing and unrepenting. Blue is a worthy heroine but shows her vulnerability at the same time.

My only criticism of this novel is that there are a few spelling/grammatical errors, but, given that this is a self-published novel, this number pales into insignificance when compared to other similar books. Roll on book 2, The Light Who Binds!

Sincere thanks to Lilo Abernathy, for providing me with a review copy; and to Varg, who we would love to welcome here at the house of hounds! ( )
  claireh18 | Jun 4, 2014 |
I was given the opportunity to read this for free in exchange for an honest review from librarything.com.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It had everything you could possibly want in an urban fantasy novel. My only little gripe was the overuse of the exclamation point. Other than that, I have no complaints and am anxiously looking forward to reading the next in the series. ( )
  LoriHopkins | May 7, 2014 |
First let me say that the book was awesome! I loved the characters, the side plots, the little twists and turns and red herrings. The start was a little slow, but the plot quickly picked up and kept me enthralled. I am so privileged to have read such a great debut novel and very sad that there is not another one to read immediately!!!

The characters are delightful, with interesting quirks and gifts, which makes me eager to discover more about each one and particularly find out who Blue really is. Why can't Jack be with her? I know this will become clearer over time, but I became so engrossed in their obvious love for each other, I just need to know more.

The prejudice in the book comes across quite strongly and is so reminiscent of some of the prejudices we face today, although albeit with race, religion etc. it reminds us of how we should be more accepting of others and not judge them until we truly know their hearts well enough to make such decisions. Unfortunately we are all so prone to judging people for the wrong reasons and this comes across so clearly, especially with Blue. I hope this changes the way some people think as it is such an important lesson to learn in life. The prejudice was subtle enough not to take over the entire book, but nonetheless there, and making one feel slightly angered as this kind woman was judged more on what she was than who she was. She is a great character, and so is Vargas. Who us he, where did he come from, why her? I look forward to the next one ( )
  Carolannhill | Mar 9, 2014 |

When Supernatural Investigation Bureau agent Bluebell Kildare (a.k.a. Blue) arrives at the scene of the crime, it's obvious the grotesquely damaged body of the deceased teenage boy was caused by far more than a simple hit and run. Using her innate sixth sense, Blue uncovers a powerful magical artifact nearby. She soon discovers it acts as a key to an ancient Grimoire that was instrumental in the creation of the Vampire breed and still holds the power to unravel the boundaries between Earth and the Plane of Fire.

Blue and her clever wolf Varg follow a trail that starts at the Cock and Bull Tap and leads all through the town of Crimson Hollow. Between being sidelined by a stalker who sticks to the shadows and chasing a suspect who vanishes in thin air, the case is getting complicated. If that isn't enough, Dark Vampire activity hits a record high, and hate crimes are increasing. However, it's Blue’s growing feelings for Jack Tanner, her magnetic Daylight Vampire boss, that just might undo her.

While Blue searches for clues to nail the perpetrator, it seems someone else is conducting a search of their own. Who will find whom first?

Danger lurks in every corner, and Blue needs all her focus in this increasingly dangerous game or she risks ending up the next victim.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lilo Abernathy's book The Light Who Shines was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Lilo Abernathy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,838,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible