Gangsta., Vol. 1 by Kohske

Gangsta., Vol. 1 (edition 2014)

by Kohske (Author)

Series: Gangsta (1)

In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men and petty thieves, whores on the make and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the “Handymen,” Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. Until the day when a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for. Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for mature audiences.… (more)
Member:e.moberle
Title:Gangsta., Vol. 1
Authors:Kohske (Author)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2014), Edition: Illustrated, 194 pages
Collections:Gangsta.

Work Information

Gangsta, Vol. 1 by Kohske

This is a story by an adult and for adults. I approve. ( )
  apotheon | Dec 14, 2020 |
This is the first manga I've read in a while that really made me excited! The story-line is fantastic and the art style is realistic yet stylized. The characters are all interesting and amazingly they aren't all 16 year olds (who often look 12) out to save the world! The main characters are even in their 30s! *gasp*

I loved it so much I immediately read the rest of the available volumes.

But be warned, this series is not for the faint of heart. It has lots of violence and trauma, and sexual situations. If you can't handle that or just don't like to read about it, maybe pass on reading this manga. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
Honestly, I am not sure what to think of this manga. It flew by too quickly for me to get much of a grasp on it.

Nic and Worick are basically mercenaries for hire. In a world split between the Cops, government and Gang leaders, the highest bidder tends to win. But these two also have their own set of rules that set them apart from others. They are "Handymen" that take on various assignments. Violence typically follows.

I am quite intrigued bi Nic's character. He is deaf and we don't get to know much about him but I feel he has a story to share. Worick seems nice but I don't feel he has the depth Nic may have.

Crime is very high and keeps these guys and the rest of the city busy. Seems like everyone has a part to play. Even "innocent" shop keepers. There is something big going on but is just barely hinted at this first volume.

This mature, gritty volume is very fast paced and throws a lot at the viewer. Enough hints are dropped that I am interested to see how the plot will unfold itself. I have a feeling there is more to everything in this new, corrupt world.

*I received a copy of this manga from Viz Media in exchange for a fair, honest review. All thoughts expressed in this review are strictly my own.* ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,142,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible