Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal Farm (original 1945; edition 1984)

by George Orwell

All animals are equals but some animals are more equal than others. George Orwell's classic satire of the Russian Revolution is the account of the bold struggle, initiated by the animals, that transforms Mr. Jones's Manor Farm into Animal Farm, a wholly democratic society built on the credo that all animals are created equal. Out of their cleverness, the pigs Napoleon, Squealer, and Snowball emerge as leaders of the new community in a subtle evolution that proves disastrous. The climax is the brutal betrayal of the faithful horse Boxer, when totalitarian rule is re-established with the bloodstained postscript to the founding slogan: but some animals are more equal than others.… (more)
Member:ambientguitar
Title:Animal Farm
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Signet Classics (1984), Paperback, 141 pages

Animal Farm by George Orwell (Author) (1945)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2, sturlington)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    Fifteen Dogs: An Apologue by André Alexis (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books use animals to illustrate human shortcomings and a base nature, animals gain human consciousness,both are allegories , and dystopian novels.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    Persepolis II: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Utopian Tales From Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Mort(e) by Robert Repino (ShelfMonkey)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)
    The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul (ChrisSlavens)

1940s (1)
Read (41)
2014 (3)

English (696)  Spanish (18)  French (6)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (746)
I know this is required reading in most schools but I guess it wasn't in mine. I've just read this for the first time as an adult and I'm glad I read it now instead of when I was younger, since I don't think I would have appreciated or understood it as well as I do now. I think this was a very interesting and easily understandable portrayal on Orwell's views of Communism perverting the ideal socialism he wanted.

I sped through this book in two days and the entire I was hoping for a happy ending even though I knew none was coming. After reading the last page a loud "Nooooooooo!!!" was heard through my house and my brother came to my room, took one look at the book I was reading and Just nodded his head with his eyebrows raised. We can now relate to how screwed up this book is. ( )
  Arafyn | Jun 9, 2021 |
I'm not sure what was scarier about this - that it was based on real events, or that still seems relevant today. Either way, an intriguing read and effective allegory. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I can't believe it took me this long to read this classic. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Great book describing in animal form, the struggles that humans have faced through our lifetime... how everything we have now seems so awful and a change will bring only good... for the first bit, until things get out of hand, and we need a change again... ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
Not bad. Not great. A little heavy handed. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |

Woodhouse, C. M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]

Orwell's allegory of the Soviet revolution remains as lucid and compelling as ever. In beautifully clear prose, he gives us a vivid gallery of characters and a fable that conveys the truth about how we are manipulated through language and the impossibility of finding heaven on earth.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,232,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible