Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal Farm (original 1945; edition 1984)

by George Orwell

"Animal Farm" is the most famous by far of all twentieth-century political allegories. Its account of a group of barnyard animals who revolt against their vicious human master, only to submit to a tyranny erected by their own kind, can fairly be said to have become a universal drama. Orwell is one of the very few modern satirists comparable to Jonathan Swift in power, artistry, and moral authority; in animal farm his spare prose and the logic of his dark comedy brilliantly highlight his stark message. Taking as his starting point the betrayed promise of the Russian Revolution, Orwell lays out a vision that, in its bitter wisdom, gives us the clearest understanding we possess of the possible consequences of our social and political acts.… (more)
Member:ambientguitar
Title:Animal Farm
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Signet Classics (1984), Paperback, 141 pages

Work Information

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2, sturlington)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    Fifteen Dogs: An Apologue by André Alexis (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books use animals to illustrate human shortcomings and a base nature, animals gain human consciousness,both are allegories , and dystopian novels.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    Persepolis II: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Utopian Tales From Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Mort(e) by Robert Repino (ShelfMonkey)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)
    The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul (ChrisSlavens)

1940s (1)
Read (41)
2014 (3)

English (741)  Spanish (19)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Esperanto (1)  All languages (796)
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
I read this in ninth grade. Whipped through it in one night, is more accurate. The teacher who assigned it was one of the most hated in the whole school, and students who had been graduated from my high school years ago, still remembered how much they hated her. She was rude, cruel, hated students who were smarter than her, and was a bigot. She also had a lot in common with Dolores Umbridge, I am not even kidding. I get horrible stomach aches when I read the fifth Harry Potter book because suddenly I'm fourteen again and I hate it. Back to this book. I did not care about it back then, and have always associated it with that teacher I hated. I didn't understand what it -really- was back then at all. As such, I wrote an incredibly superficial essay that hit the rubric points it was supposed to, but it was very clear the whole book was beyond me at the time. I picked it up as an adult, now, and all I remembered was Boxer's fate and the ending pages because they were so unsettling.

This book is a chilling, unflinching look at the origins and progress of totalitarianism, and more pointedly, late stage capitalism. The stages of each are so clearly delineated. And in such a short amount of pages! I was able to spot the pigs' progress towards being dictators, and knew where the white paint was going way before it even went there. Mollie was not a stupid animal: she was clearly stating she did not wish to be part of the rebellion. I wish the narrative hadn't gone after her so much, if all that was going to happen was that she went to the farm next door and got the life she wanted. Unlike so many other animals that were later killed because some little piggy had a huge ego and a way of swaying others. I was upset, reading this. The phrase "History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme," by Mark Twain was in my head over and over again because this is happening today and it's awful. There are a lot of people trying to stop it. I hope it does stop. Without being too spoilery, this book does not have that result. And the ending is still just as powerful now. I remember thinking somehow this was a banned book in some schools. I don't think it should be banned; I think teens need to keep reading this and questioning authority. Adults, too ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 21, 2022 |
A quick read.
Wasn't the amazing book I thought it would be. Have also just read 1984, so they are similar.

The saddest part was there wasn't any protest from the animals, but that reflects our society still. We just do what we are told as that is easiest. ( )
  hipney | May 31, 2022 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]

Orwell's allegory of the Soviet revolution remains as lucid and compelling as ever. In beautifully clear prose, he gives us a vivid gallery of characters and a fable that conveys the truth about how we are manipulated through language and the impossibility of finding heaven on earth.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,699,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible