dismiss

Rebelión en la granja by George…

Rebelión en la granja (original 1945; edition 2006)

by George Orwell

All animals are equals but some animals are more equal than others. George Orwell's classic satire of the Russian Revolution is the account of the bold struggle, initiated by the animals, that transforms Mr. Jones's Manor Farm into Animal Farm, a wholly democratic society built on the credo that all animals are created equal. Out of their cleverness, the pigs Napoleon, Squealer, and Snowball emerge as leaders of the new community in a subtle evolution that proves disastrous. The climax is the brutal betrayal of the faithful horse Boxer, when totalitarian rule is re-established with the bloodstained postscript to the founding slogan: but some animals are more equal than others.… (more)
Member:Dacan
Title:Rebelión en la granja
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Barcelona Booket 2006
Rating:*****

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

1984 by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2, sturlington)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    Fifteen Dogs: An Apologue by André Alexis (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books use animals to illustrate human shortcomings and a base nature, animals gain human consciousness,both are allegories , and dystopian novels.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Utopian Tales From Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Mort(e) by Robert Repino (ShelfMonkey)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)
    The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul (ChrisSlavens)

1940s (1)
Read (41)
2014 (3)

English (642)  Spanish (13)  Italian (6)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (4)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (684)
A quick read.
Wasn't the amazing book I thought it would be. Have also just read 1984, so they are similar.

The saddest part was there wasn't any protest from the animals, but that reflects our society still. We just do what we are told as that is easiest. ( )
  hipney | May 26, 2020 |
The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Surely, comrades, you do not want Jones back?

A great depiction of "governments", or what I see left today in my own land. Every character, every event seems to mock the history books, or rather, life in such a country. I loved this book, the very description and the depiction. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
Animal Farm is an allegory of Communism. The animals on a farm are told by Major, an old pig, about a dream he had where all the animals of England owned their own farm. Soon after he died but his dream was carried out by the animals led by Snowball and Napoleon, two pigs. They drove Mr. Jones, his wife and the hired men out and settled down to live completely by themselves. They called each other "Comrade" and everyone had equal rights and worked equally hard. Snowball was the acknowledged leader though he was never called such. The humans tried to regain the farm but with tactics memorable of Julius Caesar Snowball drove them away. The movement soon deteriorated and Napoleon, jealous of Snowball's fame, chased him off. Under Napoleon's guidance the pigs became "top dogs" on Animal Farm and eventually all the commandments laid down at the beginning were broken. The book concludes with the pigs looking just like men.

I think Major is comparable to Marx and Snowball to Lenin. Napoleon is Stalin and the rise of the pigs to the leading class is compared to the rise of Stalin's friends to leadership. The comparison of Stalin and his friends to pigs is very apt and very funny.

I enjoyed this book. It is so obviously improbable in the literal sense but it is very applicable to the Communist Party. I got me thinking about Communism and asking questions about it. Before I read Animal Farm I was indifferent to Communism but now I avidly read newspaper articles about it and look up articles in encyclopedias. Animal Farm is not by any means the truth absolute but it sets you on an unending track.

This review was written by me when I was in high school. The date was December 16 1969. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 12, 2020 |
Not a fable, fairy tale, or allegory, Animal Farm is simply a straightforward Horror Story of how groups of creatures
allow fear, lies, deception, denial, stupidity, and cruelty to govern them. Away With Truth! ( )
  m.belljackson | May 4, 2020 |
Even though I read 1984 back in high school, I was never assigned this other Orwellian classic. It is a real shame too since this was one of the most thought-provoking books I read for this assignment. The ending especially where the tyrant pig Napoleon resembles us humans kept me grappling with the book’s themes long after it finished. Similar to some other books I read on this list, it could be placed under other categories. Chief among them for Farm would be 'ILS 516 Modern Fantasy' since it deals with anthropomorphic animals and we know Orwell was the author. But, because you need a knowledge of British affairs to get the most out of this book, it has been placed here. All in all, based upon the thoughts it inspires, Farm should have been a companion of 1984. If I was a teacher, I would certainly advocate for teaching the both of them. ( )
  TNAEWWF123 | Apr 27, 2020 |

Woodldridge, IanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]

Orwell's allegory of the Soviet revolution remains as lucid and compelling as ever. In beautifully clear prose, he gives us a vivid gallery of characters and a fable that conveys the truth about how we are manipulated through language and the impossibility of finding heaven on earth.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,526,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible