The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet:…

The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's…

by Mark Hyman

Here, Dr. Mark Hyman reveals a scientifically and clinically proven program that will help you not only achieve fast and sustained weight loss but also say good-bye to chronic health complaints, including type 2 diabetes, asthma, joint pain, digestive problems, autoimmune disease, headaches, brain fog, allergies, acne, eczema, and even sexual dysfunction. At the root of all of these problems is insulin imbalance, which is triggered by addiction to sugar and carbs. Yes, you need to break free from your chemical addiction to sugar, carbs, and processed foods! Dr. Hyman's 10-Day Detox Diet is a simple yet powerful method to bring your metabolism back into balance by breaking your addiction to unhealthy foods, regulating your hormones, and ridding your system of the hidden inflammation that is sabotaging your health and your waistline.--From publisher description.… (more)
Recently added byfishcasa, marquis784, Annte, private library, Tchipakkan, Robert_Musil, hpl83332

Today I'm fuming a bit. I got The blood sugar solution 10-day detox diet from the library after watching a couple of documentaries about sugar, with Dr. Robert Lustig, and thinking I could reduce our intake more. I've done detoxes, and know they're possible and beneficial, but not only does this one seem extreme, (many are), but there are unaddressed issues in what I've read so far.
For example: it's hard for some of us to pay for all the weird foods you are supposed to eat instead of processed food, and what do you do after the 10 days (some of which I've read, and sounds a lot like "I love it so much why would I stop?". Or how do you deal with things like social occasions? (when it looks like you have to bring your own food with you everywhere)? Sometimes the party is worth the hangover- just not all the time.
I recognize that refined sugar is, in fact, a slow poison, and consuming as much as we do is bad for us. But we all know someone who finds some great new diet/exercise regime/philosophy/religion and won't shut up about it. If this works, how do you avoid being that person?

I already cook using whole foods for almost everything, although I don't avoid gluten and casein (grain and dairy - is he looking for the people who are suffering from hidden sensitivities?) But as a cook I am infuriated by the suggested time estimates for making suppers. They are mostly on the order of 10-20 minutes prep time, and 15-30 minutes cooking time. BULL. That's only if you have a staff to prepare, or can buy your ingredients pre-peeled/sliced etc. If you're doing it yourself, it's going to take you twice as long. I can't imagine that people who are NOT used to cooking aren't going to feel betrayed by this misdirection.

Then warning lights flashed: He says: you're going to need support to get through this, you can reach other people on our website. (Wait a minute, this is beginning to sound like a cult!), and if you really want it to work- use our supplements (buy here if you can't find them locally- it's not just a cult, but a for-profit one. Can you say Scientology boys and girls?)

I've gotten to the recipe section and am not soothed. While he suggests that you adapt to your own tastes, the meal plan is basically Smoothie for breakfast (most of them look gross), followed by soup or salad for lunch and for dinner: salmon/snapper or chicken breast. SOME people like not having to think about what's for dinner, but I prefer variety, and changing herbs or from broiling to poaching doesn't count. Also, I think his taste is different than mine- some of us cannot stand cilantro and arugula. Nice for you if you do, but I don't. The recipe section makes me want to say "Liar, Liar, pants on fire!" when he gives his "cook time 20 minutes, prep time 15 minutes" estimates. PERHAPS if you buy your vegetables pre-sliced, and have someone else put all the ingredients out pre-prepared and measured in little bowls like on a cooking show, it would only take that long, but it makes it look like you'll only be spending a half hour in the kitchen a night, and it looks more like twice that- NOT counting clearing up. I guess we know what people will be doing for the hours before bed they're not allowed on the computer!

So I'm thinking I should find another book on sugar detox without those problems. But maybe give it the benefit of the doubt and read a bit more. I'll update this if anything much changes. ( )
  Tchipakkan | Dec 26, 2019 |
After two days of detoxing, I was completely exhausted to the point where I couldn't function and one of those days I had to skip the gym completely. The first day I made "Dr. Hyman's Whole Foods Protein Shake" and it was absolutely disgusting. I had to choke it down and it made me gag. Until I read this book, I was a big advocate of artificial sweeteners, but Dr. Hyman has opened up my eyes to how truly bad they are for our bodies. This book does have very good content and I did learn a lot from it, so it's a good resource, but if you want to "detox" I'd recommend following a different menu plan. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
This is another of many books on diabetes. This one proposes a somewhat austere diet with exercise and behavioral modification. The proposed plan will basically break a bad habit and then enable the person to see results, which will motivate changes in long term behavior. I strongly agree with concepts associated with sugar addiction, which is encouraged by the major food manufacturers. ( )
  GlennBell | Aug 19, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,374,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible