Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Catch-22 (original 1961; edition 1994)

by Joseph Heller

Series: Catch-22 (1)

Member:V01TeK
Title:Catch-22
Authors:Joseph Heller
Info:Vintage (1994), Paperback, 576 pages

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (1961)

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (kiwiflowa, WisePolyphemos)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (InvisiblerMan)
    Closing Time by Joseph Heller (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Joseph Heller's sequel to "Catch-22" set in the early 1990s.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (rosylibrarian)
    All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (kittycatpurr)
    In Pharaoh's Army: Memories of the Lost War by Tobias Wolff (paulkid)
    paulkid: Me, I think that true stories are the most absurd. For me, "In Pharaoh's Army" may not be as funny as "Catch-22", but it's close and definitely has made me consider my own serious outlook on life a little less, well, seriously. See if you agree.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hašek (roby72)
    Just One Catch: A Biography of Joseph Heller by Tracy Daugherty (Imprinted)
    Imprinted: This biography includes a lengthy section on the writing and publishing of Catch-22, the tragicomic 1961 novel that originated in Heller’s experience as a World War II bombardier
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (gbill)
    King Rat by James Clavell (John_Vaughan)
    Nine Stories by J. D. Salinger (girlunderglass)
    girlunderglass: Both stories about war, plus Heller owes much to Salinger in terms of authorial voice (wit, vernacular language, goddamits, sense of humor)
    The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis De Bernières (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Both books take on the slightly surreal side to war, but with serious consequences nonetheless.
    The Bamboo Bed by William Eastlake (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: A genuine equal to Catch-22 written for the Vietnam age. Not just a cheap attempt to imitate Heller's talent-slash-luck, Eastlake may well have surpassed his masterpiece with this long-last classic. Read alongside Dispatches to maximize pleasure; then continue your newfound, inevitable addiction to all things Eastlake, because he really is that good--and he really is that inexplicably, undeservably unknown.… (more)
    And No Birds Sang by Farley Mowat (ShaneTierney)
    Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho (chrissybob)
    chrissybob: Similar views on mental health
    Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (fundevogel)
    Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg by Derek Swannson (jasbro)
    War Story by Derek Robinson (Polaris-)
    The House of God by Samuel Shem (mcenroeucsb)

1960s (9)
Satire (4)
Read (28)
Reiny (4)
Read (8)

English (392)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Russian (1)  All (408)
Groucho Marx channeled by angry, word-bloated 1950s English major on speed flying off the handle about war.

kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
This book is seriously different. Took a while to grow to like it but did along with appreciate the extraordinary writing skills of this guy. ( )
  DannyKeep | May 13, 2018 |
I'm another person who couldn't finish this book. I tried, mainly so that I wouldn't have to return it to my friend with an apology for detesting one of his favorites. Maybe two-thirds of the way through I had to give up.

The rambling repetitiveness in the narrative is, I think, supposed to represent the futility of the characters' struggles, their insanity, and the how the war would never really end for them. Unfortunately, it was just too much circular non-logic to tolerate.

Another problem for me was the way the story jerked between bitter satire, outrageous farce, and annoying accounts of everyday drama.

Heller's depiction of World War II seemed more fitting for a government office than a warfront. Even if that is how he remembered the war, the setting didn't feel real. I didn't care about any of the characters and often struggled to tell them apart. The plot was inconsequential. I felt that I was wasting my time once I'd absorbed the gist of the book. ( )
  aspirit | May 7, 2018 |
I really wanted to give this book 3 1/2 stars but that is not a option. ( )
  heatherdhahn | Feb 5, 2018 |
Comical and lively, and yet each scene seethes with a choked bleakness. For me, the real joy of Catch-22 is the sing-song banter. I love conversation as exposition and Joseph Heller is one of the best. To those of you who've previously given up on this one and wish to try again, I recommend simply listening to the back-and-forth exchanges as if they were song. Doing this helped me make a little sense of the absurdity. ( )
1 vote Daniel.Estes | Jan 30, 2018 |
I love the humor and comic relief this book servers.
Very interesting and entertaining. Good one.

"A wild, moving, shocking, hilarious, raging, exhilarating, giant roller-coaster of a book"
added by GYKM | editNew York Herald Tribune

"the best novel to come out in years"
added by GYKM | editThe Nation

"doesn't even seem to be written; instead, it gives the impression of having been shouted onto paper.... what remains is a debris of sour jokes"
added by GYKM | editThe New Yorker

"Catch-22," by Joseph Heller, is not an entirely successful novel. It is not even a good novel by conventional standards. But there can be no doubt that it is the strangest novel yet written about the United States Air Force in World War II. Wildly original, brilliantly comic, brutally gruesome, it is a dazzling performance that will probably outrage nearly as many readers as it delights. In any case, it is one of the most startling first novels of the year and it may make its author famous.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Oct 23, 1961)

Heller, Josephprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bradbury, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Buckley, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ceserani, RemoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kliphuis, J.F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lahtela, MarkkuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Packer, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szilágyi TiborTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was only one catch... and that was Catch-22.

This island of Pianosa lies in the Mediterranean Sea eight miles south of Elba. It is very small and obviously could not accommodate all of the actions described. Like the setting of this novel, the characters, too, are fictitious.
To Candida Donadio, literary agent, and Robert Gottlieb, editor. Colleagues.
To my mother
and to Shirley
and my children, Erica and Ted
It was love at first sight.
They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed.
There was only one catch, and that was Catch-22.
The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he’s on.
"Sure, that's what I mean," Doc Daneeka said. "A little grease is what makes this world go round. One hand washes the other. Know what I mean? You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours."

Yossarian knew what he meant.

"That's not what I meant," Doc Daneeka said, as Yossarian began scratching his back.

This is the story of Yossarian, a man trying to survive during WW2. Unable to go home because he hasnt completed enough missions he tries to get himself deemed ill which he can't do because he hasn't been sick.

Reading books in uncomfortable situations often affect how you like and remember books. That's what happened with this book. I just got confused a lot. It was also really difficult to read on the computer for 8 straight hours. That wasn't a good plan.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684833395, Paperback)

There was a time when reading Joseph Heller's classic satire on the murderous insanity of war was nothing less than a rite of passage. Echoes of Yossarian, the wise-ass bombardier who was too smart to die but not smart enough to find a way out of his predicament, could be heard throughout the counterculture. As a result, it's impossible not to consider Catch-22 to be something of a period piece. But 40 years on, the novel's undiminished strength is its looking-glass logic. Again and again, Heller's characters demonstrate that what is commonly held to be good, is bad; what is sensible, is nonsense.

Yossarian says, "You're talking about winning the war, and I am talking about winning the war and keeping alive."
"Exactly," Clevinger snapped smugly. "And which do you think is more important?"
"To whom?" Yossarian shot back. "It doesn't make a damn bit of difference who wins the war to someone who's dead."
"I can't think of another attitude that could be depended upon to give greater comfort to the enemy."
"The enemy," retorted Yossarian with weighted precision, "is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Mirabile dictu, the book holds up post-Reagan, post-Gulf War. It's a good thing, too. As long as there's a military, that engine of lethal authority, Catch-22 will shine as a handbook for smart-alecky pacifists. It's an utterly serious and sad, but damn funny book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:09 -0400)

The story of a World War II bombardier who is frantic and furious because people he doesn't know keep trying to kill him.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,585,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible