Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Sword

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (2)

1,5581097,065 (4.05)1 / 154

I'm so happy these books exist! They explore subjects I love to think about. As I mentioned when I read Ancillary Justice, it's so refreshing to read a science fiction book about gender other than The Left Hand of Darkness (which I love to death), which has been written during my lifetime. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
I listened to the audio version of this book because it was a Hugo nominee for best novel and was available from my local library. It was the second in the Imperial Radch series. The references to the first book in the series were enough to fill gaps sufficiently to make the story work and yet make me curious. I ordered the first book in the series and look forward to reading book 3 as well. This is worth being on the Hugo short list and a writer I will keep an eye on. My only regret is that I listened to the book and the narration was so irritating that I often had to turn off the book while I was driving, road noise being preferable. I think the narrator had poor direction by whoever produced the books.

In regards to the Hugo list, Kevin J. Anderson's Dark Between the Stars did not make me want to read books in the other series he referenced heavily or have any interest in reading other books in the Saga of the Shadows. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
I liked the writing and characters as I did the first book - but the story was plain dull and there was little progression at all ( )
  muwaffaq | Mar 20, 2019 |
Almost as good as the first one. Can't wait for the 3rd. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
This is the second volume in a space opera trilogy. Leckie presents a world in which a vast star-spanning empire sinks into civil war while an effortlessly superior alien race threatens to erase it. But the main action is kept laser-focused on interpersonal conflict, matters of colonialism and social justice, and the main character's psychological adjustment to human life (she's an ex-AI). This contrast between background and foreground may seem a little frustrating (it was for me), or even like a bait-and-switch. Your mileage may vary. I'll have to read the third volume to say which side I come down on. ( )
  Petroglyph | Feb 8, 2019 |

Leckie, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Considering the circumstances, you could use another lieutenant."
Sequel to Ancillary Justice

Ms. Lord of the Radch
Divided herself. Trust her?
Neither one, thinks Breq.
(pickupsticks)

And what if all of it were ripped away?

Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized -- or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

"What if you once had thousands of bodies and near god-like technology at your disposal? And what if all of it were ripped away? The Lord of the Radch has given Breq command of the ship Mercy of Kalr and sent her to the only place she would have agreed to go -- to Athoek Station, where Lieutenant Awn's sister works in Horticulture. Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized -- or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent"--… (more)

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,117,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible