Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch) by Ann…

Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch) (edition 2014)

by Ann Leckie (Author)

1,7861176,314 (4.06)1 / 157
What if you once had thousands of bodies and near god-like technology at your disposal? And what if all of it were ripped away? The Lord of the Radch has given Breq command of the ship Mercy of Kalr and sent her to the only place she would have agreed to go -- to Athoek Station, where Lieutenant Awn's sister works in Horticulture. Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized -- or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent.… (more)
Member:KPPSlibrary
Title:Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch)
Authors:Ann Leckie (Author)
Info:Orbit (2014), Edition: Edition Unstated

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

Breq is given a new ship and lieutenants and sent by the Lord of the Radch, Anaander Mianaai, to an outpost in Athoek Station. With very little direction, she tries to bring justice to a place with multiple people groups living in unequal situations.

It took me a little while to follow and remember who people were since reading Ancillary Justice six months ago or so, but once I got into the story and started to remember details, I found it just as enjoyable as the first book. Breq is a fun character, and the fact that she was an ancillary on a ship allows for a unique storytelling ability of having a first-person narration but also allowing her to look through the ship's eyes and see what's going on elsewhere. That's used to good effect to ratchet up tension as Breq tries to resolve the issues that slowly reveal themselves in the course of her work. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 30, 2020 |
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

89 points, 4 ½ stars!

Breq has been given command of the ship Mercy of Kalr by the Lord of the Radch and sent to a planet to keep order there. Breq is only willing to go along because it helps further her own goals. However, when she gets there, Breq finds that the planet isn't as happy as it appears. Old prejudices still live, and the Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with how things are being handled.

I found myself having this stupid smile on my face at the beginning of the book. I was just giddy about something. I finally figured it out: I really love that Breq was fleet captain. She never expected anything out of the events of the previous book except to die. She kind of hoped for it, even. She is still filled with grief over what happened to her in the past. But now she is Fleet commander, a place where no Ancillary ever thought they were going to end up. And it makes me happy. It makes me happy to know that Breq has something to get her on track to being happy and accepted by those around her.

Even if most of the people around her don't know that she is an Ancillary.

See, Breq has been sent by the Lord of the Radch, Anaander Mianaai, to look after Athoek system. Breq wouldn't care what Mianaai wants, except that it aligns with what Breq wants to do. Breq wants to offer the sister of the person she loved on the Justice of Toren help, since her sister isn't around to help out anymore. Breq still aches with guilt and pain, and it makes me feel sad too.

However, when we get there we find that there are problems after problems with everything to do with that system. We find that the already terrible society of the Radch is even worse than we thought as old prejudices reign supreme, and those with nothing are treated as less than human. Breq tries her best to right all the wrongs she finds, but she is only one person and can only do so much.

Though honestly, this entire book took a different direction than I expected it to. There is war between the two halves of Anaander Mianaai. It rages on, even in nearby systems. At any moment that war could end up in the system. And we're...going about looking at all the ways the society is fucked up. I'm going to have to read the next book in the series simply because I have no idea why we are seeing this part of the story. I didn't really want this story.

Mostly, Ancillary Sword served to make me cry about Breq. Once again, I enjoyed it while I was experiencing it, but upon reflection I just didn't really care about the story too much. I'm still reading the last book because I'm really curious, but this wasn't what I expected to get out of this series, especially after the first book. ( )
1 vote keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
I found this more subdued and less engaging than the first book. There was an inordinate amount of time detailing the minutia of social hierarchy custom. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
I liked this even better than the first volume, which I already loved. It's mostly slower paced, but it manages to be simultaneously E.M.Forster in space, chapter after chapter of excellent world building, and a wonderfully sharp critique of the modern world.

I do definitely recommend reading these in order. Direct references back to Ancillary Justice are explained enough that I don't think reader would be lost starting here, but I don't think I would have got anywhere near as into it without the setup of book 1. ( )
  eldang | Sep 18, 2019 |

eldang | Aug 11, 2019 |

Leckie, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Considering the circumstances, you could use another lieutenant."
Sequel to Ancillary Justice

Ms. Lord of the Radch
Divided herself. Trust her?
Neither one, thinks Breq.
(pickupsticks)

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,344,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible