Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch) by Ann…

Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch) (edition 2014)

by Ann Leckie (Author)

1,6631166,707 (4.05)1 / 154
"What if you once had thousands of bodies and near god-like technology at your disposal? And what if all of it were ripped away? The Lord of the Radch has given Breq command of the ship Mercy of Kalr and sent her to the only place she would have agreed to go -- to Athoek Station, where Lieutenant Awn's sister works in Horticulture. Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized -- or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent"--… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch)
Authors:Ann Leckie (Author)
Info:Orbit (2014), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Tags:science fiction

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

I liked this even better than the first volume, which I already loved. It's mostly slower paced, but it manages to be simultaneously E.M.Forster in space, chapter after chapter of excellent world building, and a wonderfully sharp critique of the modern world.

I do definitely recommend reading these in order. Direct references back to Ancillary Justice are explained enough that I don't think reader would be lost starting here, but I don't think I would have got anywhere near as into it without the setup of book 1. ( )
  eldang | Sep 18, 2019 |
I enjoyed it as much as the first book, it was absolutely AMAZING. I just love the world she creates, and the realism of it all (e.g. that even if a planet is colonised by a population speaking a single language, it will always diverge into a great many language over time). I'm eagerly awaiting the third part of this series :-) ( )
  AMartinios | Sep 16, 2019 |

eldang | Aug 11, 2019 |
Like the first (@Ancillary Justice), great world building and pacing throughout the novel. I enjoyed the continued exploration of social themes as the backdrop for the plot. The multiple POV approach was more refined in this follow-up, making it much more readable than the first. ( )
  aagbay | Jul 23, 2019 |
This is less of a mystery than a first one, but more a search for connection. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Leckie, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Considering the circumstances, you could use another lieutenant."
Sequel to Ancillary Justice

Ms. Lord of the Radch
Divided herself. Trust her?
Neither one, thinks Breq.
(pickupsticks)

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,192,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible