dismiss

Shifting shadows : stories from the world of…

Shifting shadows : stories from the world of Mercy Thompson (edition 2014)

by Patricia Briggs, Patricia Briggs

Series: Mercy Thompson (Short story collection), World of the Marrok (19)

"Mercy Thompson's world just got a whole lot bigger ... A collection of all-new and previously published short stories featuring Mercy Thompson, "one of the best heroines in the urban fantasy genre today" (Fiction Vixen Book Reviews), and the characters she calls friends ... Includes the new stories ... "Silver" "Roses in Winter" "Redemption" "Hollow" ... and reader favorites "Fairy Gifts" "Gray" "Alpha and Omega" "Seeing Eye" "The Star of David" "In Red, with Pearls" "-- "Shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has friends in high places--and in low, dark, scary ones. And in this must-have collection of stories, you'll meet new faces and catch up with old acquaintances--in all their forms... In a time of fresh starts, Mercy is asked to use an old talent--ghost hunting--in the all-new story "Hollow." You'll learn what happens when an ancient werewolf on his last legs befriends a vulnerable adolescent ("Roses in Winter") and how Mercy's friend Samuel Cornick became a werewolf ("Silver"). The werewolf Ben finds "Redemption," and Moira, a blind witch, assists on a search in "Seeing Eye." From Butte, Montana, the copper-mining town that vampire Thomas Hao calls home ("Fairy Gifts"), to Chicago, where the vampire Elyna buys and renovates the apartment she lived in while human ("Gray"), you'll travel the roads that originated with Mercy Thompson and the fertile imagination of Patricia Briggs. Roads that will lead you to places you've never been before.."--… (more)
Member:daydreaming.antigone
Title:Shifting shadows : stories from the world of Mercy Thompson
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2014.

Shifting Shadows by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byArina40, CalebAndMere, private library

So the only way for me to do this review is to break this book down by the short stories that it contains. Some I loved, some I didn't care for, and some I had already read before so it really didn't interest me in reading them again. I got this as a loan from the library since I had read some critical reviews that did not care for this book. I decided that if I liked it, I would go out and buy the full version later since I own all of the Mercy Thompson books. I still may do that, but may wait until it comes out in paperback to get a better price for it.

The main issue with most of these short stories which surprised me is that some of them were not very interesting, or in some cases the pacing was just off. We all know that Patricia Briggs can write. And I have read some of her short stories before, it was just surreal how some of them that included characters I loved, ended up being a trial to get through.

"Silver" (5 stars)
This short story tells how Samuel and Bran become werewolves. Definitely my favorite of this collection. We hear about Samuel's first wife and children and Bran's mother who was a witch. And we also hear about Ariana (from Silver Borne) who Samuel would fall in love with. We heard the bare bones in the Silver Borne book and I was glad to read the full version here. Told in alternating sections (Samuel and Ariana) you realize what a tough fae Ariana is and how strong Bran really is too. I want more Bran stories please!

"Fairy Gifts" (3 stars)
A vampire named Thomas returns home to Montana. We get to hear about his past and his relationship with his father who sounds like a horrible human being due to a deal he made to give Thomas to a master vampire. I am still wondering who Thomas is. I think I read about him before in one of the Mercy books when she went to go fight in Frost Burned but was drawing a blank on it. Honestly though the first part of the story was interesting, it quickly stopped interesting me. I realize that if is not one of the 'heroes' of the Mercy world I just didn't care. This story really did go on too long. The pacing was kind of all over the place.

"Gray" (1 star)
The main character in this story is a vampire named Elyna Gray. I don't believe she has been in any of the Mercy Thompson stories unless someone else knows and can correct me. This story really didn't do a thing for me from beginning to end. Elyna is lonely for people and we just read on and on about how lonely she is. We also hear tidbits about her dead husband Jack.

"Seeing Eye" (5 stars)
We get to hear how werewolf Tom and witch Moira met each other. I loved this story and wish that we could get more standalone novels about this duo.

"Alpha and Omega" (4 stars)
This is the same rating I gave Alpha and Omega when I read it years ago. I do love the story of Charles and Anna, but once again I am realizing some problems with it based on the re-read. We hear that Anna is an Omega wolf, and once again we have Patricia Briggs explaining in minute detail what an Omega wolf is. Of course that had to happen to set up the world building about Alphas and Omegas, however, it is still pretty boring when you read it. And the insta-mate with Charles is no much better the second time around. I think the main problem though is that as an Omega wolf Anna is able to ignore direct orders and do what she pleases. And in this story she has to think that she is an Omega and is able to ignore orders. But this is only after Charles tells her what she is. What was going on before that she didn't realize that she didn't need to obey orders. This happened in 'Hunting Ground' to a certain extent and Ms. Briggs always wrote it as if Anna could only do what she needed to if she realized in her head she was an Omega.

"The Star of David" (2 stars)
I honestly have no memory of the main character, David Christiansen. I know he appeared in 'Moon Called' and that's about it. The whole story was actually pretty short compared to the others and not enough details were provided me for me to care one way about David or anyone else in this story.

"Roses in Winter" (5 stars)
On second thought I think that this story actually did have a few execution problems though I still gave it five stars. I love the character of Asil and we get more Bran (yeah!) but the story of the werewolf Kara never interested me at all. I was more interested in how Asil took to Kara and she to him. And I loved hearing about Asil's reactions to the werewolf Sage. Once again I found myself wishing for a standalone story about Asil. Reading about how werewolves have to turn or be destroyed was very interesting.

"In Red, With Pearls" (3 stars)
I love Warren and Kyle so much from the Mercy books and this book did not do them any justice at all. I have no idea what the heck was going on and in the end it didn't make a lot of sense. I think I was suppose to think it was funny in a macabre sort of way. It was just weird.

"Redemption" (4 stars)
I really love the werewolf Ben and am still mad at how Mercy treated him in 'River Marked' and acted as if Ben was a hater and raper of women. She already knew about Ben from what Adam told her in 'Blood Bound' and it was Ben that helped Adam to understand Mercy in 'Iron Kissed.' Ben has had Mercy's back throughout mostly all of the books unlike some members of the Pack. Mercy and Adam are in this story and I felt like for once she wasn't awful towards him and I loved that Ben called her when he needed help. We get to see Ben grow in this story and though it was alluded to in 'Iron Kissed' we know that Ben was abused by his father and his mother knew about it. Hence Ben's trust issues with women. We hear about Ben's first Pack in England and what he allowed to happen as a watcher there. It really turned my stomach a bit and it goes without saying that poor Ben needed a shrink or someone to help him deal with his rightful anger towards his parents.

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ "NIGHT BROKEN". Don't read further.

"Hollow" (3 stars)
This story takes place after "Night Broken" and in it we have Mercy dealing with the aftermath of that story which left her at death's door. It was weird but this didn't feel like a Mercy story. It felt off in some way. Maybe it's because we had alternating points of views with some characters that were new to the Mercy-verse so it didn't fit right. I loved catching up with Gary (Mercy's half brother) and hope he is in future books too. There is really cool spoiler dealing with Samuel and Ariana and I literally sat up and cheered. That was enough for me to raise my rating of 2.5 stars to 3.

"Outtake from Silver Borne" (1 star)
This fit in a weird place in the collection and honestly should have occurred before Ben's story. This is once again a story of Samuel and Ariana. And though I love them both, this almost five page short story (if you can call them that) really didn't do them any justice. Plus it happens before Night Broken and the awesome spoiler I got to read so it makes no sense why it was placed in this order in the book. It should have come after Silver or something.

ONCE AGAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ "NIGHT BROKEN"

"Outtake from Night Broken" (1 star)
Told from Adam's point of view we have him waiting for Mercy's death. After Mercy's fight with a Volcano god (yeah I am still not that thrilled with that story-line it was so random) she is left with a broken neck and everyone is waiting for her to die. Which makes the actions of Adam's ex-wife at the end of "Night Broken" so much worse and makes me want to strangle that character all over again. This is almost four pages and like I said for the above outtake from "Silver Borne" did not do anything to add to the story at all from "Night Broken." And once again I would say this should have occurred before the other short story in this collection "Hollow." We already know that Adam loves Mercy so I don't think we needed this outtake included to show us that. Or maybe some readers did since many of us were ready to kick him too due to how the Pack and he were treating Mercy because Adam's ex was around.

So there you have it. Some stories I loved, others I shrugged at, and others were really not worth including. Maybe Ms. Briggs should have just had the outtakes available for free on her website or for free via Kindle. I don't think I would have paid anything for them since they were so short. Maybe in future editions of "Silver Borne" and "Night Broken" they can be included. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
It was nice to see a collection of short stories that had more than one or two new stories in it. This one had 4 new stories and 6 reissues but it also had two chapters that had been previously cut from books. The stories are set in chronological order and they let the reader know where each story falls in the series. I had read most of the reprints before but it was nice to reread them in this collection. What I liked about the collection is you got some back story on several other characters that normally would come up during the course of a book. A good solid collection of stories for someone that enjoys the Mercy Thompson universe. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
I listened to the audio book - I might have enjoyed this more with a better narrator. ( )
  Mrs.Soule | Nov 25, 2019 |
Silver - Their story started way before Moon Called, per author. It starts with a time before they were werewolves, tells the story of how they became, fighting an evil witch and also Arianna's beginnings and how Samual came to love her and her him.

Fairy Gifts - Set in the 1900s but before Moon Called, Thomas' beginnings and how he came to be more than just vampire.

Gray - A woman turned vampire returns home, to the place where she unintentionally killed her husband. Poignant, sweet and tender.

Seeing Eye - How Tom and Moira met, background, not a lot to the romance, more where they started it all and their history.

Roses in Winter - Asil is a very old wolf who believes his end is near and Kara is a teenager trying to learn to control her change. It's sweet how these two help save each other. Great short.

Outtake from Silver Borne - Per the author this happened between chapters 14 and 15 of Silver Borne. Great outtake and I'm really glad the author shared it with us.

In Red, with Pearls - A short about Warren investigating who sent a zombie to kill Kyle. Get to learn a little more about them both as well as the witch Elizabeta.

Redemption - Another side of Ben Shaw, nice short

Outtake from 'Night Broken' - Per the author this happened between chapters 14 and 15 of Silver Borne. Great outtake and I'm really glad the author shared it with us.

Hollow - Mercedes goes to help get rid of a ghost haunting Lisa's secret love Rick. It's all Mercy but in a small package :)

wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I’m not a novella fan, so three stars is a good rating from me. I’d heard how fabulous Ben’s story was, so I forced myself to read this...

The three stars are because:

1) The last couple of stories were pretty good.
2) Anything in Mercy’s world is going to appeal to me on a certain level.
3) Nothing in the Mercyverse gets less than 3 stars.

As for Ben’s story, it was okay. It wasn’t as good as I was expecting. Even though I love Ben. It was just...a novella. They’re weak. For me. Pale. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman
and the rest of my imaginary friends.
Thank you for hanging out with me.
Here's to the adventures to come!
Silver pages 1-70

Three weeks to the day after I buried my youngest child, and several days after I buried my oldest - a young woman who would never become older - someone knocked at my door.
Fairy Gifts page 71-100

Cold didn't bother him anymore, but her remembered how it felt: the sharp bite of winter on toes, fingers, nose, and ears.
Gray page 101-134

It was raining, a desultory, reluctant, angry rain forced unwillingly form there gray clouds overhead.
Seeing Eye page 135-170

The doorbell rang.
Alpha and Omega page 171-238

The wind was chill and the cold froze the ends of her toes.
Silver page 1
Redemption page 361
Hollow page 395
OUTTAKE FROM Silver Borne page 437
OUTTAKE FROM Night Broken page 445

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,925,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible