I Lived on Butterfly Hill (The Butterfly…

I Lived on Butterfly Hill (The Butterfly Hill Series) (edition 2015)

by Marjorie Agosín (Author)

20518104,131 (4.17)9
When her beloved country, Chile, is taken over by a militaristic, sadistic government, Celeste is sent to America for her safety and her parents must go into hiding before they "disappear."
Member:LauranClaunch
Title:I Lived on Butterfly Hill (The Butterfly Hill Series)
Authors:Marjorie Agosín (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2015), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

I Lived on Butterfly Hill by Marjorie Agosín

What a nice novel of friendships, among both adults and kids.
The author's writing style is wonderful and graphic.
I like how the main character develops and matures emotionally during the 5 years of the story.

I would have preferred to hear more of an ending on some of the secondary characters than what the author left us with. But overall, it was a nice refreshing story among a backdrop of temporarily hard times for the participants. ( )
  billsearth | Aug 8, 2019 |
this is a story about an eleven-year-old girl, Celeste, and her world getting completely turned over when she has to go to America after her beloved country is taken over by the government and declares that almost everyone is dangerous to chilies future. so Celestes must hide before they disappear forever. it's a very engaging story and would be perfect for students grades 5 and up. even though it's fictional it's very possible and you can relate to her struggles from her perspective. ( )
  DaylanDornak | Mar 19, 2019 |
The country has been taken over by a government that declares artists, protestors, and anyone who helps the needy to be considered subversive and dangerous to Chile's future. So Celeste's parents must go into hiding before they, too, disappear. Before they do, however, they send Celeste to America to protect her. This book is a powerful representation of what could really happen. Although, it is not a true story about a real person, these events could definitely happen. ( )
  Kayla_Bashkatova | Mar 17, 2019 |
Political turmoil and the saga of separation, exile, and reunification. The journey of young Celeste making her way to America from Chile, and the fear and anxiety she feels motivate the story forward. Readers can relate to her struggle or experience the challenges from her perspective. ( )
  Mistian | Mar 11, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,193,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible