Whisky Galore (Vintage Classics) by Compton…

Whisky Galore (Vintage Classics) (original 1947; edition 2004)

by Compton Mackenzie (Author)

Series: Whisky Galore (1)

It's 1943, and the war has brought rationing to the Hebridean Islands of Great and Little Todday. When food is in short supply, it is bad enough, but when the whisky runs out, it looks like the end of the world. Morale is at rock bottom. George Campbell needs a wee dram to give him the courage to stand up to his mother and marry Catriona. The priest, the doctor, and, of course, the landlord at the inn are all having a very thin time of it. There's no conversation, no jollity, no fununtil a ship-wreck off the coast brings a piece of extraordinary good fortune. Abridged."… (more)
Member:Keith_McNeill
Title:Whisky Galore (Vintage Classics)
Authors:Compton Mackenzie (Author)
Info:Vintage Classics (2004), Edition: New Ed, 304 pages

Work Information

Whisky Galore by Compton Mackenzie (1947)

English (12)  Danish (1)  All languages (13)
Can't figure out how I never wrote a review for this book while I remember that I throroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps I just never pressed save. ( )
  amaraki | Sep 26, 2021 |
Hilarious, and yet with some placid, sentimental (in the best sense of the word) moments. I must have read it at least half a dozen times, and although it no longer makes me roar with laughter, it still never fails to improve my mood. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Jun 26, 2021 |
An amusing tale of involuntarily abstemious Scottish island life during WWII, with unforgettable characters and a lot of rollicking fun. ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 13, 2021 |
A very surprising book. The plot is quite simple. The natives of two small islands in the Highlands region of Scotland are suffering privation; the supply of whisky has run out, because (as this is World War II) the supply must be sent to the US to earn money to fight the war. The natives feel this very keenly. One even dies from the shock of being told he can't have any spirits. Meanwhile, two different couples are trying to get around obstacles to marriage -- one, a father-in-law who has a difficult time committing to anything, and the other, a ferocious, domineering mother-in-law. A deus ex machina (very much holy, as some of the prelates on the islands note) comes in the form of a shipwreck that provides thousands upon thousands of bottles of prime Scotch whisky to the thirsty natives. Much to the annoyance of the pompous and officious commander of the local Home Guard forces. All's well that end's well, however, as couples get their love, and the natives keep their whisky out of the hands of the Excise. A surprisingly mild, colourful, and indeed romantic novel, which is a pleasure to read. No one, save the S/S Cabinet Minister, is truly hurt during the proceedings, though a few get mildly embarrassed. The book was later adapted into two highly successful film versions, one (the 1949 one) being a classic of Ealing-type comedy. Warmly recommended. ( )
2 vote EricCostello | Mar 14, 2019 |
I waffled between 3 & 4 stars so I guess 3.5*

The reason I waffled so much is that I found the plot hilarious but had some trouble with the Scot dialects (I have trouble reading dialects of all kinds). The interspersed Gaelic didn't give me as much trouble as my edition had a glossary of Gaelic terms with how to pronounce them & their meaning.

Here are some examples of the dialect (these are fairly clear as to their meaning but illustrate the way the dialects were written):

" 'I'm sorry, Captain MacPhee, but unless the peer comes by Monday's poat the peer will be where the whisky is, and that's nowhere at all' said the big hotel keeper."

" 'Chorge will neffer be having the courage to tell Mistress Campbell he's going to be married to her. Neffer!' he declared. 'Not unless he'd trunk a tram the size of Loch Sleeport itself, and then I believe it would turn to water inside his stamac when he saw his mother gazing at him.' "

" 'A Dhia, Dhia, don't be saying that, Hugh. The crapefruits wass never in poxes. Chust lying on the traìgh. Crapefruits chaca!' " ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 9, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To all my dear friends in Barra in grateful memory of much kindness and much laughter through many happy years
From the bridge of the Island Queen, which three times a week made the voyage between Obaig and the outer islands of the Hebrides, Captain Donald MacKechnie gazed across a smooth expanse of grey seas to where the rugged outline of Great Todday stood out dark against a mass of deepening cloud in which a dull red gash showed that the sun was setting behind it.
Love makes the world go round? Not at all. Whisky makes it go round twice as fast.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,073,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible