Golden Son (The Red Rising Series, Book 2)…

Golden Son (The Red Rising Series, Book 2) (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Pierce Brown (Author)

Member:BubiBalboa
Title:Golden Son (The Red Rising Series, Book 2)
Authors:Pierce Brown (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2015), 466 pages
Rating:*****

Golden Son: Book II of The Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown (2015)

2 years have passed since the events of Red Rising, Darrow is part of Augustus house and well established in Gold society until Augustus' right hand man wants to get rid of him. Rather than giving up Darrow fights back and beings a civil war within the Golds with the lower colors joining his side. I enjoyed Golden Son much more than Red Rising. It's fast paced and still confusing at times to keep events and people straight but very entertaining. The ending has me excited for the conclusion! ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
**Golden Son** was a worthy successor to **Red Rising**. It, too, had a slow start, only here te start extends to the 50% mark of the book. After that, a fairly slow and generic story picks up speed, originality, and its past characteristics. Even at its best though it still feels forced in a way that's hard to describe: As if everything happened just because the author willed it that way, and may as well have happened completely differently without breaking any internal logic. The wooden language doesn't help either. I felt there was a lot of unfulfilled potential in this book, and I'm not sure if I'm going to continue the series. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I'm up in the air about whether I will continue with this series. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Completed 06/20/18 ( )
  ERose207 | Jun 20, 2018 |
Golden Son
From the institute Darrow is chosen by Nero au Augustus the same man who killed Eo. Darrow is put into the academy the school where peerless scarred learn how to battle in war ships. Darrow is unsuccessful at the academy and bested by Karnus au Bellona, Cassius's brother, darrow’s contract is almost sold, but darrow knows what Augustus wants, to be on top. At the banquet before Darrow’s contract is sold he starts a civil war. Augustus vs Bellona he leads a successful attack against Mars to unset the Bellona and regains control of Mars. But in the attack many of his friends are dead or missing. And his remaining friends finds out he is a red and he is captured by his associate the Jackal. And thus ends the book.

I gave this book five stars for a thrilling sequel to red rising. Every page is full of action, emotion, and thoughts of Darrow. Another reason I liked Golden Son was because Darrow had to make hard decisions about trusting others. Darrow had new near death experiences, and every page was a page turner. I recommend this book to any sci-fi and fantasy readers. ( )
  EmilyH.G1 | May 20, 2018 |

Pierce Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To mother,
who taught me to speak
Once upon a time, a man came from the sky and killed my wife.

'I'm still playing games. This is just the deadliest yet.'

Darrow is a rebel forged by tragedy. For years he and his fellow Reds worked the mines, toiling to make the surface of Mars inhabitable. They were, they believed, mankind's last hope. Until Darrow discovered that it was all a lie, and that the Red were nothing more than unwitting slaves to an elitist ruling class, the Golds, who had been living on Mars in luxury for generations.

In RED RISING, Darrow infiltrated Gold society, to fight in secret for a better future for his people. Now fully embedded amongst the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his dangerous work to bring them down from within. It's a journey that will take him further than he's ever been before - but is Darrow truly willing to pay the price that rebellion demands?

"With shades of The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, and Game of Thrones, debut author Pierce Brown's genre-defying epic Red Rising hit the ground running and wasted no time becoming a sensation. Golden Son continues the stunning saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom from the overlords of a brutal elitist future built on lies. Now fully embedded among the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his work to bring down Society from within. A life-or-death tale of vengeance with an unforgettable hero at its heart, Golden Son guarantees Pierce Brown's continuing status as one of fiction's most exciting new voices. Praise for Red Rising "[A] spectacular adventure. one heart-pounding ride. Pierce Brown's dizzyingly good debut novel evokes The Hunger Games, Lord of the Flies, and Ender's Game. [Red Rising] has everything it needs to become meteoric."--Entertainment Weekly "I don't know what Pierce Brown did before he started writing books, but whatever it was, he was wasting his time. Fast-paced, gripping, well-written--the sort of book you cannot put down. I am already on the lookout for the next one."--Terry Brooks, New York Times bestselling author of The Sword of Shannara "Pierce Brown has done an astounding job at delivering a powerful piece of literature that will definitely make a mark in the minds of readers."--The Huffington Post "Ender, Katniss, and now Darrow: Pierce Brown's empire-crushing debut is a sprawling vision of humanity's diaspora to the stars."--Scott Sigler, New York Times bestselling author of Nocturnal "[A] great debut. The author gathers a spread of elements together in much the same way George R. R. Martin does."--Tor.com"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Pierce Brown's book Golden Son was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,576,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible