Golden Son: Book 2 of the Red Rising Saga…

Golden Son: Book 2 of the Red Rising Saga (Red Rising Series) (edition 2015)

by Pierce Brown (Author)

Series: Red Rising Saga (2)

"With shades of The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, and Game of Thrones, debut author Pierce Brown's genre-defying epic Red Rising hit the ground running and wasted no time becoming a sensation. Golden Son continues the stunning saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom from the overlords of a brutal elitist future built on lies. Now fully embedded among the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his work to bring down Society from within. A life-or-death tale of vengeance with an unforgettable hero at its heart, Golden Son guarantees Pierce Brown's continuing status as one of fiction's most exciting new voices. Praise for Red Rising "[A] spectacular adventure. one heart-pounding ride. Pierce Brown's dizzyingly good debut novel evokes The Hunger Games, Lord of the Flies, and Ender's Game. [Red Rising] has everything it needs to become meteoric."--Entertainment Weekly "I don't know what Pierce Brown did before he started writing books, but whatever it was, he was wasting his time. Fast-paced, gripping, well-written--the sort of book you cannot put down. I am already on the lookout for the next one."--Terry Brooks, New York Times bestselling author of The Sword of Shannara "Pierce Brown has done an astounding job at delivering a powerful piece of literature that will definitely make a mark in the minds of readers."--The Huffington Post "Ender, Katniss, and now Darrow: Pierce Brown's empire-crushing debut is a sprawling vision of humanity's diaspora to the stars."--Scott Sigler, New York Times bestselling author of Nocturnal "[A] great debut. The author gathers a spread of elements together in much the same way George R. R. Martin does."--Tor.com"--… (more)
Member:ocassim
Title:Golden Son: Book 2 of the Red Rising Saga (Red Rising Series)
Authors:Pierce Brown (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2015), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Collections:2024 Reads, Read Books, Your library
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

Golden Son by Pierce Brown

One Word: DAMNNNN! The story of Darrow and his attempt for a revolution continued. The story is fantastic, I cannot put my book down. The ending was mindblown for me. I hope Morningstar can finish the trilogy in a satisfying way. ( )
  heolinhdam | Jun 25, 2024 |
I was not ready for the man to die!!!! ( )
  TheDragonHoard | May 27, 2024 |
This review refers to the whole Red Rising trilogy (Red Rising, Golden Son, and Morning Star). It's about a future society that spans the whole Solar System, with a rigid system of castes, including the Golds, who are the ruling class, and the Reds, who are slaves without rights and perform the more menial grunt work. The trilogy tells the story of a revolutionary leader who infiltrates the Gold caste to gain power and bring the system down.

It has a lot to recommend it. It's very readable and entertaining. The first book reminded me in some ways of the Hunger Games, only on a bigger, more strategical scale. The worldbuilding is interesting, although implausible at times, with the elite Golds basically acting as a pantheon of Roman gods of war. I was engrossed but at the same time I had the nagging sensation that this is one of those stories where you have to disconnect your brain and go along with the ride. Our hero will be taken prisoner repeatedly by the most ruthless enemies, who inexplicably will fail to kill him when they can... The way people act is often too extreme and larger than life... I'm sure future battles would not work in the way the books describe... But if you are willing to overlook things like that you have very compelling characters, intense relationships, often not romantic, and a ripping story.

For entertainment value it gets 5-stars easily, but I will withhold one for the eye-rolling moments. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, though. ( )
  jcm790 | May 26, 2024 |
distopico
guerre
tradimenti

CIT: "per aspera ad astra"
attraverso le difficolta, fino alle stelle ( )
  LLonaVahine | May 22, 2024 |
Every time I start to wonder if this book/series is poorly written, I turn the page and another batshit crazy twist happens and I forget entirely any qualms I have. I don't think I've ever read a series with a more breakneck pace. There is almost no time to let events sink in - there's always some new twist, or betrayal, or battle, or fascinating world building set-piece that I was always invested and interested, if not a little exhausted by the end. As my brother in law said, "I'm not sure if it's good, but it sure is fun." ( )
  hskey | Mar 19, 2024 |

Brown, Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, TommyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To mother,
who taught me to speak
Once upon a time, a man came from the sky and killed my wife.

'I'm still playing games. This is just the deadliest yet.'

Darrow is a rebel forged by tragedy. For years he and his fellow Reds worked the mines, toiling to make the surface of Mars inhabitable. They were, they believed, mankind's last hope. Until Darrow discovered that it was all a lie, and that the Red were nothing more than unwitting slaves to an elitist ruling class, the Golds, who had been living on Mars in luxury for generations.

In RED RISING, Darrow infiltrated Gold society, to fight in secret for a better future for his people. Now fully embedded amongst the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his dangerous work to bring them down from within. It's a journey that will take him further than he's ever been before - but is Darrow truly willing to pay the price that rebellion demands?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Pierce Brown's book Golden Son was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,302,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible