dismiss

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

The Three-Body Problem (2008)

by Liu Cixin

Series: Remembrance of Earth's Past (1)

Three-Body Problem is the first chance for an English-speaking audience to experience this multiple award winning phenomenon from China's most beloved science fiction author, Liu Cixin. Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion. The result is a science fiction masterpiece of enormous scope and vision.… (more)
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: There are stylistic and societal-implications similarities between the English translation of The Three-Body Problem and Anathem, despite being of very different worlds, and deep into different scientific areas.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Tau Zero by Poul Anderson (br77rino)
    br77rino: I put this because both books are what I would consider hard science fiction.
    Contact by Carl Sagan (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Stories about man's search for intelligent life in the universe with elements of hard science

English (205)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (215)
This is one of those books that is an incredibly smart read. This isn't the kind of book you pick up and sit back and enjoy. Unfortunately, it is way too smart for me. I have a very basic grasp of physics and this quickly surpassed everything I knew in a few chapters.

Parts of the book were very engaging and other parts of the book was speaking Greek.

I am absolutely amazed this book is a translation, as it is the best translated book I've ever read. Well done.

Still, with that being said, I wanted so badly to love this book...but just didn't have the knowledge to appreciate the intricacies.

Giving this 3 stars because I loved the part I understood. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
I guess I just don't care for hard sci-fi that takes place during the current age. ( )
  TinoDidriksen | May 27, 2020 |
Following the death of her physicist father because of the cultural revolution, Ye Wenjie, after naively performing a favour for a journalist that nearly lands her in jail, finds herself confined to an isolated radio transmitter/receiver station, possibly for the rest of her life. Disillusioned with humanity, but still fascinated by astrophysics, she becomes increasingly central to the running of the secret station, ostensibly set up to track and potentially destroy US satellites. She discovers, though, that she can transmit messages, bounced off the sun, vast distances. One such message finds an alien race trapped on a terribly unstable planet, looking for another. The alien race respond, and Ye Wenjie faces a choice - to ignore them, or invite them here, potentially to invade and destroy the human race. She chooses an invitation, triggering the most dramatic and potentially catastrophic set of events that humanity has ever faced. But they have over four centuries to prepare.

Cut to about 40 years later, scientists all over the globe are committing suicide, or having strange, seemingly supernatural events, happen to them, such as a countdown happening on every photo they take, or even before their eyes. Are these events linked? And if so, how?

The novel is exciting, rich, scientifically deep, with a wonderfully imaginative streak, especially when it comes to the aliens and the way they survive, in very different ways to humanity. There are strong ideas about nihilism and the inherently self-destructive nature of humanity here, and even moments of poetry, through top-notch writing. One of the best, most original science fiction novels of recent years. ( )
  RachDan | May 27, 2020 |
fast fun read. great book if you like sci-fi and computers. also, a nice historical view into the cultural revolution. ( )
  aabtzu | May 18, 2020 |
This is definitely a hard sci-fi novel. It's quite an experience, but maybe not what you're expecting. If you're looking for a character-driven novel, or even a plot-driven novel, you might be disappointed in this one. This is a science-driven novel. It has a slow reveal and a slow pace, with lots of explanations of the science involved. I didn't find it a difficult read (perhaps because I do enjoy reading science non-fiction books) but it's not a fast, action-packed one.

Do I see why it won / was nominated for awards? Yes; it is well crafted. Would I read it again? Maybe. I'm sure there is more depth that I missed because my attention wandered as I waited for something to happen. Would I recommend it? Only to lovers of hard sci-fi who can handle a slow-burn book where very little concrete action happens. It's definitely quite a trip, if you're capable of going along for the ride. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |

Roubicek, BrunoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sainio, RaunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonetti, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavani, BenedettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Red Union had been attacking the headquarters of the April Twenty-eighth Brigade for two days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,509,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible