The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of…

The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth's Past Book 1) (original 2008; edition 2014)

by Cixin Liu (Author), Ken Liu (Translator)

3,5711972,353 (3.76)229
Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilisation on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion.… (more)
Member:doctorsidrat
Title:The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth's Past Book 1)
Authors:Cixin Liu (Author)
Other authors:Ken Liu (Translator)
Info:Tor Books (2014), 400 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:format-ebook, from-dn, sci-fi, poc-author, author-male

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu (2008)

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: There are stylistic and societal-implications similarities between the English translation of The Three-Body Problem and Anathem, despite being of very different worlds, and deep into different scientific areas.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Tau Zero by Poul Anderson (br77rino)
    br77rino: I put this because both books are what I would consider hard science fiction.
    Contact by Carl Sagan (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Stories about man's search for intelligent life in the universe with elements of hard science

English (187)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (197)
There were some interesting ideas in this book, but unfortunately they were buried in a lot of drivel. However, the ending was rather abrupt, and that was a pleasant surprise. ( )
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
I am not one to normally read a great deal of science fiction. I must say this is an intriguing book. I have been reading it at a slow pace to try and take in all the symbolism. And with that said, you need the time to take it all in. ( )
  Klatooo | Feb 8, 2020 |
Some very interesting ideas!

I suspect strongly that this book will make the Hugo short-list this year, so I'll definitely write some thoughts up on it here:
After this work week is over. :) ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
The Three-Body Problem is an engrossing and detailed sci-fi read. The story takes the premise of first alien contact (by radio) and twists it on its side, allowing the reader to wonder who to trust and throws out the idea that when facing an alien invasion that all humans would unite together to fight off the invaders. I enjoyed the book, though I started to dread the times that the main character would log into the “Three-Body Problem” computer simulation game. Those scenes just got too cumbersome and repetitive even though Liu Cixin does a good job of parsing out the plot through the game. Near the end, I did find the switch of POV from the main character to learning about the Trisolarans directly from them (via radio communications sent to Earth) also a bit off-putting. I think it was just the dramatic change in POV and I think Liu Cixin could have incorporated the story of the Trisolarans differently, keeping to the established characters, and still conveyed the same information. Despite this I really enjoyed the story and found the concept refreshing. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Jan 9, 2020 |
This book is the embodiment of Fridge Horror- I'd read something, go on reading, then stop dead as the implications of the thing I read ten pages ago finally hit me. Science as horror, and a very real sense that humanity is utterly outclassed. ( )
1 vote being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |

Martinière, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roubicek, BrunoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sainio, RaunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavani, BenedettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Red Union had been attacking the headquarters of the April Twenty-eighth Brigade for two days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,604,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible