The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu

The Three-Body Problem (original 2008; edition 2016)

by Cixin Liu (Author), Ken Liu (Translator)

5,7103081,405 (3.78)1 / 279
Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilisation on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion.… (more)
Member:jsclev
Title:The Three-Body Problem
Authors:Cixin Liu (Author)
Other authors:Ken Liu (Translator)
Info:Tor Books (2016), 416 pages
Collections:Hard Sci-Fi, Space Opera, Your library

Work Information

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin (2008)

Recently added bymbmackay, coopbooks, nimrodel, enkidu, erinR, sonyagreen, private library, Nannus, MissAlandra, Brienno
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: There are stylistic and societal-implications similarities between the English translation of The Three-Body Problem and Anathem, despite being of very different worlds, and deep into different scientific areas.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Tau Zero by Poul Anderson (br77rino)
    br77rino: I put this because both books are what I would consider hard science fiction.
    Contact by Carl Sagan (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Stories about man's search for intelligent life in the universe with elements of hard science

English (294)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  Chinese, simplified (1)  All languages (308)
My first foray into Chinese sci-fi.
This is a powerful book - the plot is at the top of the "grand" scale! There is plenty of "sci" and even more "fi" which, though fictional, and improbable, is believable in the context of the book.
The characters are interesting and diverse. Only one, the police officer, seems stereotypical - but he's enjoyable enough to be forgiven!
For a western reader, the Chinese viewpoint, and the Chineseness of the context is an aspect of the book that is especially interesting and enjoyable. But the candour in looking back to difficult periods of the country's history makes me wonder if the book could have been created and published in the current trend towards conformity of thought in China?
I'll be back to read the sequels. ( )
  mbmackay | Jan 21, 2022 |
Una lectura muy amena.
Los conceptos detrás del libro son extremadamente interesantes y me gusta como incorpora tramas políticas, religiones, ciencia y tecnología para ir creando este mundo.
Mi parte favorita del libro fue, sin duda alguna, el juego El Problema de los Tres Cuerpos, no niego que me gustaría jugar un juego así (aunque admito que probablemente no llegaría muy lejos).
Mi única queja es el estilo de escritura, se siente demasiado simple para un libro de ciencia ficción dura como este y contrasta mucho cuando aparecen conceptos de física cuántica o de ingeniería. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
eh ok ( )
  GridCube | Jan 17, 2022 |
This left me a little cold, even though it's highly rated. I kept reading to the end though, and didn't regret it. ( )
  paulmorriss | Dec 30, 2021 |
I can't pretend I understood most of the physics, but the author did an excellent job balancing the technical side with plot, characters, and tension. I felt invested in the story and thought it was very well written and paced, so I'm looking forward to the next book in the series. It brought up interesting and relevant issues of humanity, and Ye Wenjie's complex character especially made me put my thinking cap on. Science fiction at its best. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |

Sainio, RaunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, JakobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonetti, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavani, BenedettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Red Union had been attacking the headquarters of the April Twenty-eighth Brigade for two days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,053,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible