HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Station Eleven (edition 2014)

by Emily St. John Mandel

9,880719657 (4.09)1 / 999
One snowy night a famous Hollywood actor slumps over and dies onstage during a production of King Lear. Hours later, the world as we know it begins to dissolve. Moving back and forth in time-from the actor's early days as a film star to fifteen years in the future, when a theater troupe known as the Traveling Symphony roams the wasteland of what remains-this suspenseful, elegiac, spellbinding novel charts the strange twists of fate that connect five people: the actor, the man who tried to save him, the actor's first wife, his oldest friend, and a young actress with the Traveling Symphony, caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous self-proclaimed prophet. Sometimes terrifying, sometimes tender, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it.… (more)
Member:Chicalicious
Title:Station Eleven
Authors:Emily St. John Mandel
Info:Toronto, Ontario : HarperCollins Canada, 2014.

Work Information

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Recently added byconorj, Jeniola, ellidaver, private library, DanaOmer, whimsy657, Sage.E.Page
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Both amazing books featuring dangerous flu like viruses and how people cope in emergency situations
    The Stand by Stephen King (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An ensemble cast of flu survivors journey across the U.S. and through the remains of civilization to fulfill their fated roles in these novels. The Stand is more graphic and action-packed, with a clear theme of good vs. evil.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (jmg12)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (generalkala)
    generalkala: Similar multi-strand, multi-era novel.
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (benjclark)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (dhoyt)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dystopian North America with a strong female protagonist
    Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton (nicole_a_davis)
    World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler (JenMDB)
    Morality Play by Barry Unsworth (pitjrw)
    pitjrw: Muses on memory and the role of art specifically drama set respectively in the alien past and the horrific near future.
    Soft Apocalypse by Will Mcintosh (Meggle)
    The Salt Line by Holly Goddard Jones (rainbowdragon)
    rainbowdragon: Dystopian novel that focuses on the people and their lives.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (sturlington)
    sturlington: These are both interesting contemporary works of speculative fiction that play with time and structure.
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (ainsleytewce)
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (rainbowdragon)
    rainbowdragon: Dystopian series with fast spreading deadly flu viruses.
    One Second After by William R. Forstchen (ainsleytewce)
    Player One: What Is to Become of Us (CBC Massey Lecture) by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)

2021 (26)
Canada (14)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Name that Book: Found: SciFi/Fan pandemic4 unread / 4AF1087, September 2021

English (707)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (719)
Well, I stayed awake three hours past my bedtime to finish this one, so I guess that means five stars even though I'm not grabbing people by the shoulders and saying "you've GOT to read this!"

What I enjoyed most about the book was the way the story was told, with overlapping and intersecting characters over 20 years of the post-disaster collapse of society. How all the pieces fit together was a lot of fun. I also loved the theme of how little we appreciate the delicacy of the technological infrastructure that supports our civilization. A good read; I recommend it.

Second time: loved it even more! ( )
  JudyGibson | Jan 26, 2023 |
It has been a very long time since a book has meant so much to me but it didn’t happen all at once. The beginning really roped me in and I enjoyed every minute of it but then came the cumbersome middle which I found to be a bit boring by times. Then closer to the end of the novel the story picked back up again. The ending was ok but I still had a lot of questions that hadn’t been answered. I felt a little disappointed but then I decided to dig a little deeper because I knew I had missed something very important.

Once I sat down and examined the story, I found that there were so many little hidden meanings strategically placed throughout the book and it seems like every little thing had some sort of bigger meaning. There are stories within the story and they are all overlapping one another. Something I really loved about this novel was how all the characters were intertwined and they didn’t always know it.

The theme/symbol that really stands out to me is light. The author mentions or refers to light over and over again throughout the story. If you look back through the book you will find that every character and every event is associated with some kind of light. There’s reference to blue light, yellow light, electric light etc. Light is mentioned over 200 times in the novel and is clearly representing the old world vs. the new world and sometimes even good vs. evil, truth vs. lie, real vs. fake.

Fantastic novel! Read it, you'll love it! ( )
  mtngrl85 | Jan 22, 2023 |
I normally don't love this kind of book but I really liked it ( )
  ninagl | Jan 7, 2023 |
An actor dies on a stage in Toronto, at the beginning of the end of the world.

This book was beautiful and savage and hard and hopeful in all the wonderful ways that a good post apocalyptic book should be. I really just loved the way Mandel effortlessly wove chapters from various points on the timeline and character points of view. It was dark and brutal without being oppressive to read--beautiful. Going on my "highly recommend you must read this now" short list for the year.

Though I got to admit, now I just want to stock the back of my closet with survival gear and the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks, Mandel. ( )
  ajhackwith | Jan 3, 2023 |
Very nice book, a little like a gentle and sweet Stephen King apocalypse story. A short page-turner. ( )
  steve02476 | Jan 3, 2023 |
Station Eleven is not so much about apocalypse as about memory and loss, nostalgia and yearning; the effort of art to deepen our fleeting impressions of the world and bolster our solitude. Mandel evokes the weary feeling of life slipping away, for Arthur as an individual and then writ large upon the entire world.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Justine Jordan (Sep 25, 2014)

Survival may indeed be insufficient, but does it follow that our love of art can save us? If “Station Eleven” reveals little insight into the effects of extreme terror and misery on humanity, it offers comfort and hope to those who believe, or want to believe, that doomsday can be survived, that in spite of everything people will remain good at heart, and that when they start building a new world they will want what was best about the old.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Sigrid Nunez (Sep 12, 2014)

Mandel’s solid writing and magnetic narrative make for a strong combination in what should be a breakout novel.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 17, 2014)

Emily St. John Mandelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuhn, WibkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, KirstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weintraub, AbbyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

The bright side of the planet moves toward darkness
And the cities are falling asleep, each in its hour,
And for me, now as then, it is too much.
There is too much world.
—Czeslaw Milosz
The Separate Notebooks
In Memory of Emilie Jacobson
The king stood in a pool of blue light, unmoored. This was act 4 of King Lear, a winter night at the Elgin Theatre in Toronto.
Jeevan's understanding of disaster preparedness was based entirely on action movies, but on the other hand, he'd seen a lot of action movies.
There had always been a massive delicate infrastructure of people, all of them working unnoticed around us, and when people stop going to work, the entire operation grinds to a halt.
I was here for the end of electricity.
He would jettison everything that could possibly be thrown overboard, this weight of money and possessions, and in this casting off he'd be a lighter man.
We traveled so far and your friendship meant everything. It was very difficult, but there were moments of beauty. Everything ends. I am not afraid.

Pandémie mondiale
Symphonie Itinérante
Shakespeare et SF
(Tiercelin)

Emily St. John Mandel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,029,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible