¿Qué pasaría si...?: Respuestas serias y…

¿Qué pasaría si...?: Respuestas serias y científicas a todo tipo de… (original 2014; edition 2017)

by Randall Munroe (Author), Irene Cora; Tiedra Garcia (Traductor)

3,0691202,726 (4.2)1 / 64
Member:Eliorb
Title:¿Qué pasaría si...?: Respuestas serias y científicas a todo tipo de preguntas absurdas (Tendencias)
Authors:Randall Munroe (Author)
Other authors:Irene Cora; Tiedra Garcia (Traductor)
Info:AGUILAR (2017), Edition: 001, 408 pages
Collections:Your library, Lectura
Tags:Divulgació, Ciència

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe (2014)

13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time by Michael Brooks (Othemts)
    Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Rigorous scientific descriptions of ridiculous things
    Au fond du labo à gauche: De la vraie science pour rire by Edouard Launet (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Discussions amusantes sur la science. Des questions hypothétiques, des expérimentations qui n’auraient jamais eu lieu d’être, et surtout l’envie de partager.

English (117)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (120)
I enjoy Wil Wheaton's voice, so I chose this for road trip listening with Elijah. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Apr 6, 2019 |
If you are curious about a broad range of scientific subjects and would like an engaging discussion that is neither too dry nor dumbed-down, try this. If you enjoy Randall Munroe, you'll love this book. If you prefer Marlon Perkins or Sir Richard Attenborough, maybe this will be too weird, but you need to appreciate weirdness if you expect to appreciate science, even casually. ( )
  deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |
I listened to the audiobook version of this today and it was fascinating. I love science and this delivered. My kids are totally in a “what if” phase right now so the premise seemed relatable. All I can say is a lot of these what ifs would be catastrophic if they really happened, holy cow. I enjoyed Wil Wheaton as the narrator and I feel like I just hung out with a smart friend for 6 hours. 5/5 stars ⭐️ ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
Randall Munroe is perhaps best known as the creator of the XKCD webcomic, and there's a good reason for that. With simple stick figures he gives us smart, funny, informative, perspective-altering, and did I mention funny?, explanation and commentary on science, math, life, romance, sarcasm, and language. But at that website he gets lots of questions, and What If? grew out of those questions.

He works hard to get the answers right. Making them funny apparently comes naturally. This is the audiobook version, and Wil Wheaton is the perfect reader for it. If you have asthma issues as I do, think carefully about whether it's wise to listen to it while driving!

This is delightful, funny, and informative. Highly recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Jan 26, 2019 |
The Book of What If...?: Questions and Activities for Curious Minds by [Murrie, Matt, McHugh, Andrew R]I was given this book by NetGalley and Beyond Words Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

As a Grandmother and a former teacher, I enjoy books that encourage children to explore their world. This book is filled with questions that will get them wondering, then exploring. These children are the ones that will learn to think on their own.

The questions are open ended and fun. The children learn how to use critical thinking skills. They can then turn to a notebook to put their ideas down. They could also begin a discussion within their circle of friends or family members.

The different sections include history, people, stuff and nature. This would be a fun book for children, teachers, parents and grandparents to be introduced to. I cannot help but to give this book the highest rating. Check it out. ( )
  ksnapier | Jan 24, 2019 |

Svenn, GöstaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svenn, Helena SjöstrandTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DISCLAIMER
Do not try any of this at home. The author of this book is an Internet cartoonist, not a health or safety expert. He likes it when things catch fire or explode, which means he does not have your best interests in mind. The publisher and the author disclaim responsibility for any adverse effects resulting, directly or indirectly, from information contained in this book.
I was born in the United States, which means that means that as a child, I learned to think in feet, pounds, (US) gallons, and degrees Fahrenheit.

Preface to the UK edition : a note on units in the United Kingdom.
This book is a collection of answers to hypothetical questions.

Introduction.
Q. What would happen if the Earth and all terrestrial objects suddenly stopped spinning, but the atmosphere retained its velocity?

A. Nearly everyone would die. Then things would get interesting.
Science is a tool
That can be used to answer
folks' freaky questions.
(lturpin42)

From the creator of the wildly popular webcomic xkcd, hilarious and informative answers to important questions you probably never thought to ask.

Millions of people visit xkcd.com each week to read Randall Munroe’s iconic webcomic. His stick-figure drawings about science, technology, language, and love have a large and passionate following.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

"Millions of people visit xkcd.com each week to read Randall Munroe's iconic webcomic. His stick-figure drawings about science, technology, language, and love have a large and passionate following. Fans of xkcd ask Munroe a lot of strange questions. What if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90 percent the speed of light? How fast can you hit a speed bump while driving and live? If there was a robot apocalypse, how long would humanity last? In pursuit of answers, Munroe runs computer simulations, pores over stacks of declassified military research memos, solves differential equations, and consults with nuclear reactor operators. His responses are masterpieces of clarity and hilarity, complemented by signature xkcd comics. They often predict the complete annihilation of humankind, or at least a really big explosion. The book features new and never-before-answered questions, along with updated and expanded versions of the most popular answers from the xkcd website. What If? will be required reading for xkcd fans and anyone who loves to ponder the hypothetical. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,105,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible