The Wrenchies

by Farel Dalrymple

"Sherwood and Orson should never have gone into that cave. That day, a door was opened from our world into a dark and profane realm...and earth's destiny was changed forever. In this demented future, whatever life remains on earth is oppressed by the evil shadowsmen. Only a gang of ruthless and powerful children called the Wrenchies can hope to stand against them. When Hollis, a lonely boy from our world, is magically given access to the future world of the Wrenchies, he finally finds a place he belongs. But it is not an easy world to live in, and Hollis's quest is bigger than he ever dreamed of."--From publisher's web site.… (more)

Reviewed from uncorrected egalley.

Graphic novel. Based on the publisher's blurb, I thought this would be a totally different kind of story--instead I found kind of an existential 'cloud atlas' mixed with toxic waste that was just WAY too much work to follow (for a graphic novel). I'm sure this has its audience, but it's not me. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Eh, weird even for me. I have kids that like dark, gruesome, and weird zombie stuff, that are interested.
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
Dalrymple's art is worth the price of admission, and he presents a series of ideas that, while incredibly jumbled, are warm and evocative of childhood mystery and imagination. However, "jumbled" is too soft a word, as this book steers into incomprehensible for lengthy portions. Good for fans of the surreal, but missing a clear vision and cohesiveness to make it an accessible classic. ( )
  rorytoohey | Mar 1, 2019 |
I really wanted to like this one. But I just couldn't make it happen. :/ ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Release Date: September 16, 2014
ARC received from First Second via NetGalley

I hate writing reviews for books I didn’t enjoy when I receive advanced readers copies. The Wrenchies are a gang of teens living in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian future that is all out war with creatures reminiscent of zombies and vampires. It seems there are only teens and cross breed people/creatures. The Wrenchies are reading a comic about themselves that is actually written from our current time and stumbled upon by them in the future. As we read we learn through backstory how the world came to be ravaged and how magic and one individual played a part in its collapse. The Wrenchies and some new comrades (some sought and some magically introduced) are on a mission to make the world more livable.

The Wrenchies are drawn in a sick disgusting way reminiscent of teenage Garbage Pail Kids. I actually thought the landscapes were very well drawn, but the characters were so repulsive it was hard to turn the pages. This is a confusing story that is hard to make sense of between the time travel, the flashbacks, the magic, alien abduction, the monsters, and wondering if the characters are actually sane or not. The foul language, gore, and drug use by adults and teens in this graphic novel make it more suitable for much older teens if not adults. Also, there seems to be an underlying social commentary that the author is trying to establish about our world and the chaos within it that I feel this book has a very limited audience. It takes patience to not only process what is happening in the book, but piece it together and assemble the story. There is just too much going on to enjoy; this is NOT a seamless story. I don’t know who to recommend it to because it is just too hard to imagine for whom the story is written. I would pass on this book unless you like a science fiction challenge and are not easily grossed out. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Farel Dalrympleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Venable, Colleen AFDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,860,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible