Season of Storms (2013)

by Andrzej Sapkowski

Series: The Witcher (3)

"Geralt of Rivia is a Witcher, one of the few capable of hunting the monsters that prey on humanity. A mutant who is tasked with killing unnatural beings. He uses magical signs, potions, and the pride of every Witcher--two swords, steel and silver. But a contract has gone wrong, and Geralt finds himself without his signature weapons. Now he needs them back, because sorcerers are scheming, and across the world clouds are gathering"--Amazon.com.… (more)

English (7)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (10)
Oh what fun it was to have a little dessert for my richly filled Witcher table in 2018. A Season of Storms has all the elements that made me enjoy the rest of the series: great dialogue, interesting characters and general wit. And it's so funny at times, I have to laugh out loud even hours after reading a certain passage.

However, Season of Storms doesn't really add much to the series to me. It's a prequel in a sense, and there is an effort to tie up the story line from the series as well, which was pleasing. But all in all, to me, this was just another Witcher book, fun to read, but perhaps not really a necessary addition to the series or not necessarily an episode I was waiting for as a fan. ( )
  bbbart | Dec 27, 2020 |
Sapkowski was always dismissive when asked about Witcher so this, replete with a fan-pandering epilogue came out of nowhere. It's definitely the Geralt of old - maybe a bit less morally ambiguous and the language is not as coarse as it used to be. I missed the unique humour which is the hallmark of this world (the default password made me giggle). The closest thing I can think of is Robert Asprin's Myth series but that one is more of a blatant farce. I always thought Witcher worked best as short stories. I know I have no reason to hope but I'd like more. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
Listened to audio narrated well by Peter Kenny. He continues to do bring to life the various characters in this series.

This is mostly about the misadventures of Geralt of Rivia, with his side kick Dandelion. Beset by misfortune, Geralt finds himself brought up on charges, loses his swords and runs afoul of political shenanigans.

I really didn't get the point of this book, it was dreary, had very few actual Witcher battles and seemed to wander and jump around like an ADD child. I kept waiting for an explanation of the storms and spoiler alert, we aren't given one. his is suppose to take place before 'The Witcher' and after the stories in 'The Last Wish' but things said and done to really seem to fit the timeline.

This was an okay read but I wasn't a fan.

If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
I should have read this before the series, but it doesn't really matter. The stories are really just vignettes from the world of The Witcher. It's actually kind of exciting to hop back to the beginning. ( )
  authenticjoy | Nov 15, 2020 |
Geralt loses his weapons and spends the rest of the book trying to get them back. ( )
  Saraishelafs | Nov 4, 2020 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
French, David ATranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hermann, PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Komárek, StanislavTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simon, ErikÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
«Dai ghul e dagli spettri,
dai mostri con lunghe zampe
e dalle creature che imperversano di notte
liberaci, buon Dio!»
Supplica nota col nome di Cornish Litany,
datata intorno ai sec. XIV-XV
«Si dice che il progresso illumini le tenebre. Ma l'oscurità esisterà sempre, sempre. E l'oscurità racchiuderà sempre il Male, l'oscurità racchiuderà sempre zanne e artigli, morte e sangue. Racchiuderà sempre creature che imperversano di notte. Ma noi strighi siamo qui per annientarle.»
Vesemir di Kaer Morhen
«Chi lotta contro i mostri si guardi dal divenire egli stesso un mostro. E se guarderai a lungo in un abisso, anche l'abisso finirà per guardare dentro di te.»
Friedrich Nietzsche, Al di là del bene e del male
«Ritengo il guardare in un abisso una totale idiozia. Il mondo è pieno di cose più degne di essere guardate.»
Ranuncolo, Mezzo secolo di poesia
It lived only to kill.
A story is a largely false account of largely trivial events, fed to us by historians who are largely idiots.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,563,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible