The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley

The Providence of Fire

by Brian Staveley

English (12)  Italian (1)  All languages (13)
The Providence of Fire is the second book in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series and it was a powerful addition to the series! This world that was built by the Author is just amazing! The details about the inhabitants and the settings really are quite believable and I could clearly see each scene vividly in my imagination. What really pleased me with this book was that the main characters, Adare, Valyn, and Kaden, stories were quite balanced. Which was better than in the previous book, The Emperor’s Blades. They each played a part in the events taking place and, unbeknownst to them, their parts impacted each other.

I also enjoyed that the plot kept giving in terms of reveals! The siblings kept learning about alliances and choices that their father had made to which few were aware of. It kept the story spinning while trying to see how far their father’s influence truly stretched, even after his death. Things got pretty heated towards the end of The Providence of Fire and I was shocked on more than one occasion with the twists and turns that this story took! I am definitely looking forward to reading the next book in this series and I am more than curious to see where the overarching plot takes me! ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Dec 11, 2018 |
Decent middle book in the series, lots of action and surprises. Some of the elements seemed just thrown in to make a bigger, epic-sized volume - I rather wish more authors would be happy with 400 page segments at 600 this one seemed very padded. ( )
  quondame | Jan 1, 2018 |
Just plan on picking up the third book immediately after you finish this one. Budget for it, reserve a credit, do what you have to do.
  R.E.Stearns | Aug 15, 2017 |
This could very well shape out to be one of my favorite fantasy series, if it continues on the path Staveley has begun. While I found the first book in this series good, I found the second even better.
While the first book set the stage and introduced us to the main players, this second installment has completely changed the entire game and has shifted the story in such a new way, I was completely blown away. I did not want to put the book down!
The story started at a run and never let up, throwing in twists and turns that were wholly unexpected along the way. He is weaving such an intricate adventure here, that is hard to figure out, which makes for such an excellent read. I tend to be good, I like to think, at figuring things out early in books, and this one had me guessing. Who is the villain? Just when you think you know, Staveley makes you question it. He has kept you on your toes with this novel.
The characters are strong and unique and captivating, making you so invested in where their story lines take them. Most notably the story arc for Adare was the strongest of the book in my opinion. In Emperor's Blade she is barely seen and has very little character development or progression, while in this book her character really comes a long way and seems to have the most growth. Her brothers though, while perhaps having less change or growth, still feel like completely fleshed out and unique characters. One of my favorite aspects is that even though the three main protagonists are siblings, they are completely different and nothing alike, which creates such a great dynamic for storytelling.
Some new side characters are brought into the mix as well that add a new dynamic that wasn't in the first installment. Even characters like Triste, who in the first book felt almost like a throwaway character takes on a much bigger role here, that was completely unexpected.
Stavely includes some great fantasy elements in his world that just feel so epic and intriguing in a unique and new way. While at times I began to think, I've read this before, he would throw something new into the mix that would shake it all up. The writing is just top notch here.
This is a series to read, most definitely and I cannot wait to continue on to the third installment! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Aug 4, 2017 |
A fantastic continuation of the story of the three siblings on their quest to regain their throne. The book has a lot more exploration of the world and the different civilizations. It follows the three siblings more equally and lets each shine in their own, individual way. Not only are the protagonists great, the supporting characters are even better. The only character that is a bit weak in development is Adare. While she was one of my favorites in the beginning, eventually nothing she did made much sense. The writing is great, with descriptions of scenery, emotions, and action being very engaging. The storyline is incredible with no clear villain or hero. The ending isn't as clean as the first book, leaving quite an opening for the next book to take over. I'm really enjoying this series. ( )
  renbedell | May 12, 2016 |

The world of the Annurian Empire is an ambitiously drawn one. Adare, Valyn, and Kaden, the three children of the assassinated emperor, go their separate ways and find themselves embroiled in inevitable conflict.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,862,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible