The New Parish: How Neighborhood Churches…

by Paul Sparks (Author)

2015 Christianity Today Award of Merit (The Church/Pastoral Leadership)2014 Readers' Choice Awards Honorable Mention2014 Best Books About the Church from Byron Borger, Hearts and Minds Bookstore"When . . . faith communities begin connecting together, in and for the neighborhood, they learn to depend on God for strength to love, forgive and show grace like never before. . . . The gospel becomes so much more tangible and compelling when the local church is actually a part of the community, connected to the struggles of the people, and even the land itself."Paul Sparks, Tim Soerens and Dwight J. Friesen have seen--in cities, suburbs and small towns all over North America--how powerful the gospel can be when it takes root in the context of a place, at the intersection of geography, demography, economy and culture. This is not a new idea--the concept of a parish is as old as Paul's letters to the various communities of the ancient church. But in an age of dislocation and disengagement, the notion of a church that knows its place and gives itself to where it finds itself is like a breath of fresh air, like a sign of new life.… (more)
Member:NCVW
Title:The New Parish: How Neighborhood Churches Are Transforming Mission, Discipleship and Community
Authors:Paul Sparks (Author)
Info:IVP Books (2014), 208 pages

The New Parish: How Neighborhood Churches Are Transforming Mission, Discipleship and Community by Paul Sparks

I owned this book for a year or two before finally reading it. While I find much of the missional theology movement (Hirsch, Guder, et al) practically challenging, it often lacks theological depth and richness. This is not the case with this book. It's the rare book on ministry that I would recommend to normal lay Christians even more than pastors. ( )
  nicholasjjordan | Nov 13, 2019 |
I can criticize this book in places. I wish it was a little meatier in theology and more practical and less suggestive in practice. But some books find you when you need them. I attended the Parish Collective conference this year and picked up the book there. The conference was good for me. I was a crying mess through most of it because of the joy of being in a room with so many like-minded people. But they were practitioners, I was a pastoral candidate dreaming of ministry ahead.

As serendipity would have it, I was in conversation with a church in Florida. Now some months later I am their pastor. Some months after the conference, I finally cracked open my copy of the New Parish and read it cover-to-cover. This book describes the direction of where I would like our church to move and gave me some language around it. It also gave me some practical hooks for inhabiting place a little more.

A church within and in-with the community is a faithful presence integrating community, mission and formation. This is grand vision for church. One question I have is how to move a commuter church (which my congregation is partly) to this gently without alienating those who feel less connected. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |

Sparks, Paulprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friesen, Dwight J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Soerens, Timmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,530,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible