In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar

In the Field of Grace (edition 2014)

by Tessa Afshar

Member:FHC
Title:In the Field of Grace
Authors:Tessa Afshar
Info:River North (2014), Edition: New Edition, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Historic
Rating:*****
Tags:Biblical fiction, Biblical historic, historic romance

In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar

What a thrilling read of the story we all love and know of Ruth and Boaz in the Bible! Tessa Afshar fleshes out this romance yet keeps the truth of scripture at hand. Her rending inspires a real look at real people and their struggles in life. The relationship between Naomi and Ruth encourages bonds with those we love and the perseverance to hold on no matter what the circumstances or emotions. Boaz and Ruth find a love that only God could bring together to create the family for Christ to eventually enter. This was a joy to read and held my attention throughout even though I know this story by heart. I highly recomment In the Field of Grace! ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
I have always enjoyed the story of Ruth, when she tells Naomi, "In treat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou longest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God; where thou diest will I die, and there will I be buried; the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me." How many daughter-in-laws would do that for their mother-in-law. This is my first book by Tessa Afshar. I was not disappointed. I like her writing style, smooth, easy flowing. Her characters were memorable.
Pick up a copy and walk in Ruth's shoes and learn what she learned. If God be for you, who can be against you? Good Reading!!!
I received a complimentary copy from MPnewsroom for this review ( )
  Jean_Kellman | Aug 5, 2016 |
A lovely novelization of the story of Ruth, Naomi and Boaz. ( )
  wareagle78 | Aug 7, 2015 |
Without wealth or family, the widow Ruth left her people and followed Naomi, her beloved Heberew mother-in-law, to rebuild Naomi's home in Israel. Provisions gone and starvation at the door, Ruth used all that she had left - a strong back and a willing heart - to gather grain in a field, abandoned after the harvest.
Tormented by others, Ruth is shocked to find the owner of the field watching her. Talking to her. Bringing food to her and Naomi. Boaz tells himself his kindness toward Ruth is repayment for the love she has shown to his cousin Naomi. but his heart knows better.
*This was probably my favorite Tessa Afshar book by far. I loved the story of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz. Can't wait for her next book.* ( )
  imakittycat | Jul 8, 2015 |
Disregarded by her birth family, Ruth's desire to belong is satisfied in her marriage to Mahlon, a kind man whose mother, Naomi, treats Ruth as her own daughter. When Mahlon and his brother die, Ruth and Naomi journey to Bethlehem, Naomi's former homeland. Desperate for food and income, Ruth gleans, picking up the pieces left behind by the field reapers employed by Boaz. As the camaraderie between Ruth and Boaz transforms into romantic inklings, both are convinced that they can never be together. Will love find a way? Read more in Tessa Afshar's In the Field of Grace.

In the Field of Grace by Tessa Afshar is a Biblical retelling of the Book of Ruth. The author used plenty of literary license to add story details and character motives, but also inserted quotes from the Book of Ruth. Throughout the story, various characters are taught spiritual lessons which became the themes of the book. At times, I felt like characters learned certain lessons too easily. Without enough internal struggle or tension, the development seemed a bit inauthentic. Still, themes such as surrendering what one wants most into God's care and accepting God's will with joy even when circumstances are hard are primary messages in the book that will resonate with Christian readers. I enjoyed the storyline and interspersed humor. In the Field of Grace is a keeper that I'm likely to re-read.

Those who liked Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar will enjoy In the Field of Grace as there are substantial similarities in characters and plot. I recommend In the Field of Grace to Christian readers looking for a historical romance combined with prevalent spiritual themes.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  Sneezybee23 | Oct 12, 2014 |
I received a complimentary copy from MPnewsroom for this review
added by Jean_Kellman | editLet's Talk About It, Jean Kellman (Aug 5, 2016)

To Rebecca Rhee, dearest friend through joy and sorrow; your friendship is like coming home.
Death squatted at Boaz's door, waiting like a vulture, biding its time.

Destitute, grief-stricken, and unwanted by the people of God, Ruth arrives in Israel with nothing to recommend her but Naomi's, love. Her loftiest hope is to provide enough food to save Naomi and herself from starvation.

But God has other plans for her life. While everyone considers Ruth an outcast, she is astounded to find one of the most honored men of Judah showing her favor.  Long since a widower and determined to stay that way, Boaz is irresistibly drawn to the foreign woman with the haunted eyes. He tells himself he is only being kind to his Cousin Naomi's chosen daughter when he goes out of his way to protect her from harm, but his heart knows better.

Based on the biblical account of Ruth, In the Field of Grace is the story of a love that ultimately changes the course of Israel's destiny and the future of the whole world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible