Il grande tempo by Fritz Leiber

Il grande tempo (original 1958; edition 1995)

by Fritz Leiber

Series: Changewar (6)

Have you ever worried about your memory, because it doesn't seem to recall exactly the same past from one day to the next? Have you ever thought that the whole universe might be a crazy, mixed-up dream? If you have, then you've had hints of the Change War. It's been going on for a billion years and it will last another billion or so. Up and down the timeline, the two sides--"Spiders" and "Snakes"--battle endlessly to change the future and the past. Our lives, our memories, are their battleground. And in the midst of the war is the Place, outside space and time, where Greta Forzane and the other Entertainers provide solace and r-&-r for tired time warriors.… (more)
Member:niklaus
Title:Il grande tempo
Authors:Fritz Leiber
Info:Milano, Euroclub, 1995
Tags:narrativa, SF Fantasy Horror xRagazzi

The Big Time by Fritz Leiber (1958)

English (38)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
Tem bons conceitos, criatividade, uma ideia central intetessante e até mesmo alguns quotes bem marcantes. Mas falta domínio na hora de construir uma narrativa, a ponto de a história parecer mais o projeto do esqueleto de um livro do que uma obra finalizada e bem executada. Decepcionante, pra dizer o mínimo. ( )
  kk3thess | Aug 23, 2020 |
1958 Hugo winner, and what an interesting surprise!

This is the Cure for the Common (modern) SF. Tired of the old rehashing of drawn-out plots and over-deep character explorations full of pathos, pathos, and more pathos? Then pick this one up. See the universes without being a Space Opera, enjoy the perks of touching all time without a time lord in sight. Drink your favorite alcohol and listen to your neighbor wax poetic. And oh yeah, don't get caught in the war across all Time. (The title of the book is kinda crappy. It's actually referring to the field of battle.)

So, this novel is about as far as you can get from modern SF.
It's laden heavily with a ton of interesting ideas and alternate reality sets and times thrown at you without explanation or depth, having a very quick progression of plot and and a stage as big as all time and all the spaces of an infinity of universes.

If that doesn't blow your mind, then good.

We're hanging out with the entertainment crew that services the space-time warriors that snipe big changes through history, a neutral zone that caters to the Snakes (one time-traveling faction) and the Spiders (another time traveling faction.) It's chaos, to say the least. Is it war, or is it really something else? No spoilers.

There's plenty to think about, of course. Wanna invert a huge pulsating brain or name drop the Comandant of Toronto or murder baby Einstein? It's fun as hell.

I got the impression that Heinlein's "All You Zombies" was a better Time Travel story, with more and deeper exploration of plot and character, but I'm also pretty sure that the two authors were playing with each other. Heinlein's story came out one year after this one won its Hugo. Fun fact: the 2014 movie Predestination was based on "All You Zombies".

BUT, Leiber's novel was NOT about going deep, but going really, really wide in an attempt to tackle a really big idea. What idea? Oh no. This is an easy and quick book, people. Enjoy it for yourself. :)

We zip here and there and everywhere, like a knee-jerk reaction to all the Golden-Age SF that had just come before. But Leiber takes all the old square-jawed heroes with all their can-do attitudes and amped them up to mind-blowing proportions, giving them an unlimited landscape, and then, for our "heroes" we're thrown into the minds of "normals" caught in the middle of it all.

Why is this the opposite of modern SF? Because it doesn't slow down to explore any single plotline or character in detail. So much happens so quickly that it's a delight and a blur and I feel like I need to sit down and deconstruct the living hell out of every paragraph and chortle at the wordplay and the thousands of alternate reality implications. There's SO MANY. :) It's like falling into Wonka's candy store.

Zip, zip, zip, zip. It kept a smile on my face and a snicker in my laugh for practically the entire novel. Even the late reveals reverse the fact that endless (literally) war is not quite as dark as we first thought. That immediately turns this novel into a comedy by the old traditions, and I feel like I've been needing something very light-hearted for a while, so this definitely fits the bill.

If you're getting the deep desire to have an idea-packed and an amazingly quick read, I'd absolutely recommend this novel. Fritz Leiber has such a light and clever voice! :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
A short, well-conceived time travel scenario, larger in scale than other time adventure stories I've read, with a compelling narrator and some unexpected fantasy creature interactions. Overall, a solid Leiber production. His work is cinematic and more flexible than other Golden Age of science fiction authors. By that I mean that you can enter his body of work almost anywhere and feel at home. At least, I felt myself wondering what the big deal was the first time I read other authors in that group. With Leiber, I felt an affinity. Not an all-encompassing, powerful affinity, but a comfortable one.

There is a war going on between the spiders and snakes. The definitions of those creatures are not what you expect. You can expect to have a good time with alternate histories, and it is an easy, light, enjoyable read. ( )
  LSPopovich | Apr 8, 2020 |
Working my way through the Hugo award winners.

Meh. This is a REALLY short book, and I just can't make myself care about getting farther than about half way through. I really don't like this author's writing of people. They seem flat, and somewhat... offensive is too strong a word... but I can't get into or like any of them.

His other book I read, The Wanderer, had the same problem with the people in it. But I was interested enough in what was going on with the concepts in the book that I slogged through the characters and finished the book, and enjoyed it at least in part. If I remember correctly.

This one... the concepts are kindof interesting, but the book (so far at least) seems to be mostly the characters posturing, and not much about the concepts.

It's been sitting there, untouched, for awhile, so I'm going ahead and shelving it and moving on to something else. ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
A closed door mystery in a setting where demons and ghosts are just as human in their fears and needs as any crime victim and survival is much more a matter of psychology than of power. Not much is actually happening in this recreation centre for soldiers wounded in a cosmic war between time travellers, but the unraveling and unpicking of the characters, their lives and the horrors they went through as well as the relationships between them is definitely worth a read.

Again an excellent librivox audiobook read by Karen Savage. ( )
  DeusXMachina | Jan 9, 2019 |

Leiber, Fritzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Craddock, AlanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehr, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, DeniseCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlück, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
von Zitzewitz, HootCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wann kommen wir drei uns wieder entgegen
Im Blitz und Donner, oder im Regen?
Wenn der Wirrwarr stille schweigt,
Wer der Sieger ist, sich zeigt.

Macbeth
My name is Greta Forzane. Twenty-nine and a party girl would describe me.
Do not combine "The Big Time" with the Ace Double Edition of "The Big Time" / "The Mind Spiders".

"The Big Time" was also published in Europe in two volumes ("The Big Time Book 1", in various languages); these should not be combined with the complete book "The Big Time".

A bomb lost in time,
Twelve people, trapped together,
Friends or enemies?
(DeusXMachina)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,743,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible