The Crow: The Third Book of Pellinor by…

The Crow: The Third Book of Pellinor (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Alison Croggon (Author)

Series: Books of Pellinor (3)

After a brief reunion with his lost sister Maered, who continues to pursue her dangerous destiny in the frozen North, orphaned Hem is sent south to Turbansk for safety but, as the armies of the Dark overrun the city, he flees with his mentor Saliman, his white crow Irc, and the orphan girl Zelika to join the resistance forces of the Light and finally learn his role in his sister's quest.… (more)
Member:JoeFieldWriter
Title:The Crow: The Third Book of Pellinor
Authors:Alison Croggon (Author)
Info:Walker Books Ltd (2006), 512 pages

The Crow by Alison Croggon (2006)

I really wish I didn't have to read so many thick books of this to find out what happens to the characters.
I really like the characters, but other than that, I really couldn't care less.

The writing style is tedious, and I don't even know what's going on half the time. Honestly that's probably because every now and then I zone out and don't pay attention, but I do that because it's written super tediously. Also, sometimes its just confusing... there's a couple scenes that I read over and over again, and still couldn't figure out what happened.

The plot is... unoriginal.
Uh oh, the Dark is rising again! Now the Light must vanquish the Dark! And take a lot of long, thick books getting around to it! When half the book is pointless to the plot anyways! And there must be lots of traveling! And I'm BORED!
I've read this plot waayyyyyyyy too many times already. The Lord of the Rings, The Sword of Shannara, Eragon. Probably a gazillion other things as well. I am SO bored of it.

The world is confusing. I can't keep straight all the names of places. There is so many, and they all sound the same. And half of them I swear the author just put a bunch of letters in a bag, and pulled them out randomly, then arranged them in a way that was almost pronounceable, and used that.

The characters are pretty good. None of them are amazing, but I like them, and I need to know what happens to them. This book was about Hem, a minor character from the first book though, so that was... interesting.

I like him, but he doesn't make a very good protagonist. In the first two, the MC was 16, but in The Crow, the character is only twelve. And, well, he reads like a twelve year old boy. And he just seemed too young for me to truly enjoy it, and didn't match up with the first two very well.
Then there's Saliman. He's Hem's mentor figure, and I like him very much. He seems very similar to, Cadvan, who was the mentor figure for the first two books, and I wish he'd had a slightly more different personality, but I still like him a lot.
One of my favourites was Zelika, she was feisty, and rude, and I love her.
I think my favourite character though, was the crow, Irc. He's so funny, and he's always stealing shiny objects, and he cracks me up. Also he can talk. Or, Hem can talk to him, I guess. I love him very much.

Over all, this book wasn't for me. I think the series is good, and well written, I just personally don't like the writing style, and am bored by the plot. If you like this sort of thing though, it's definitely worth a read. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
This book, the third in the series, is particularly dark, with the feeling of threat and unease woven throughout the second half of the book. Some of the imagery is particularly unsettling, especially that regarding children, with sections that reminded me of Nazi concentration camps. I say this because this book is listed in the Junior section of my local library, which I'm not entirely sure is suitable, I would suggest Young Adult would be more appropriate.

With all of that said, I still enjoyed the journey, the friendships and the magery. ( )
  devilish2 | Nov 20, 2017 |
Book three of Croggon's Pellinor series, this installment follows the adventures of Hem and his new companions, Irc (a white crow he rescues) and Zelika, a refugee fleeing the front lines after the destruction of her city. Hem has to grow up considerably in this story and he discovers something about the part he must play in the final confrontation with the Nameless One.

Since it had been over a year between Book Two and Book Three, it took a couple of chapters to get back into the story. However, without being too heavy-handed about it, Croggon included enough back story in the first chapters to pull me back into the world she has conjured into being. While this is YA (Hem is 12) it's at the more mature end of YA.
  hailelib | Jan 20, 2012 |
I have just finished to read the complete series and as I am a great epic fan I only can say that I loved these books and was finaly very sad when it came to an end. I thought all the books were very discriptive, the character development was great and the narrative of the books was wonderful. Alison Croggon is a great story teller as you could live the story with the characters. I have read the Lord of the Rings as well, but I've found no more parallels in this books than in any other fantasy novels. The books take you to very well described places and you can imagine them all as you go along, I found the books not boring at all and found it much more difficult to actually put them down. ( )
  drachenbraut23 | Jun 16, 2011 |
All novels, and especially fantasy novels, provide the opportunity for authors to create their own worlds in which to place their characters, and in large measure what makes the story convincing is the plausibility of that secondary world. Croggon's land of Edil-Amarandh is given credible substance by its characters' interaction with the geography, climate and changing seasons, and the success of The Crow and the other Pellinor books is enhanced by the impression that Maerad and Hem, Cadvan and Saliman are all inhabiting a real landscape: we are with them, almost in real-time, every step of their journeys, every rest in their tasks. It may or not help to imagine their world as perhaps that straddling what is now the mid-Atlantic ridge between Newfoundland and western Europe, sometime towards the end of the last Ice Age when sea levels were lower, but it is not essential, particularly as Croggon's storytelling skill provides the verisimilitude to convincingly transport us to this sprawling continent in the grip of unfathomable changes.

Fans of Maerad from the first and second books may baulk at a volume in which she gets only passing mentions, but her brother Hem becomes as fascinating and sympathetic a character as his sister in the course of nearly 500 pages. In many ways The Crow appears as a narrative reflection of The Riddle: they straddle the same time-frame, ending with each of the two siblings meeting up with a lost friend on Midwinter's Day; one sibling travels to the north-west, the other to the south-east to gain insights into the Treesong; both become imprisoned though in rather different circumstances, having to rely on their own inner resources; both discover they have gifts that they were not aware of; and both are rightly distressed when they lose significant friends. But The Crow is not just a mirror image of The Riddle, and the dangers Hem meets and his responses to events and predicaments are strikingly different from his sister's.

The Crow is an absorbing read, and while there are stretches where nothing much seems to happen, the inner turmoil and personal growth that Hem undergoes is as essential to Croggon's tale as any burst of action is to a more conventional sword-and-sorcery novel. Love and loyalty, beauty and poetry alternate with scenes of horror and destruction and cruelty; the feeling that one is there when Turbansk is besieged, when the child-soldiers are abused, when friends are separated or re-united is strong throughout these pages and re-inforces the reader's empathy and sympathy for the youngsters in the story as they grow old before their time. It is a harsh observer who doesn't engage with Hem and Irc, his friend the white crow. ( )
1 vote ed.pendragon | Apr 18, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

One is the siger, hidden from sunlight Two is the seeker, fleeing from shadows Three is the journey, taken in danger Four are the riddles, answered in treesong: Earth, fire, water, air Spells you OUT!--Traditional Annaren nursery rhyme Annaren Scrolls, Library of Busk
For Ben
A drop of sweat trickled slowly down Hem's temple.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763634093, 0763641464

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,189,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible