The heretic's apprentice the sixteenth…

The heretic's apprentice the sixteenth chronicle of Brother Cadfael (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Ellis Peters

The sixteenth chronicle of Brother Cadfael. Brother Cadfael must find a rebuttal for charges of heresy and solve a murder.
Member:MissusB
Title:The heretic's apprentice the sixteenth chronicle of Brother Cadfael
Authors:Ellis Peters
Info:London MacDonald 1990
Tags:detective, Cadfael

The Heretic's Apprentice by Ellis Peters (1989)

English (17)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (21)
In The heretic's apprentice, Elave brings the body William of Lythwood, his master, who has died while making a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. He also brings a dowry for a young grand-niece. Elave is accused of having heretic opinions as did his master. Accusations are made by a clerk who is then found murdered. So is Elave a murderer? Cadfael needs to use his detective skills to find the murderer before any more are committed.

Ellis Peters has always used morality and justice in her Cadfael books, but, to the good brother, only God is the judge of human actions. Here the author discusses infant baptism and original sin as well as predestination and works versus deeds. There is the official church position and there is God's position and they may be widely separated. An interesting look into the theological world of the 12th century. ( )
  fdholt | Jun 24, 2019 |
I love the details Ellis Peters includes in her Brother Cadfael novels. Set in the Middle Ages, her books are historically accurate and give you a feel for the times.

When Elave returns from a pilgrimage to the Middle East as William's scribe and assistant, he returns with a gift of a exquisitely detailed box and William's dead body. The box was meant as a form of dowry for Fortunata. Elave runs into issue with visiting Canon Gerbert when he is accused of heresy by Aldwin, a member of Fortunata's household and the current scribe who feared for his position.

When Aldwin turns up murdered, things are looking even worse for Elave and Brother Cadfael and Hugh Beringar must figure out who actually did murder Aldwin and why? ( )
  phoenixcomet | Feb 26, 2019 |

Genre: Mystery
Pages: 256
Format: Digital edition

Synopsis:

A young man returns with his dead master from their journey to the Holy Land. There is some question about whether said master can be buried at the Abbey due to some of his statements said many years ago. All is resolved.

However, a jealous man then accuses the young man of heresy so as to get him out of the way of a job. When said jealous man turns up dead, things don't look good for the young man. Throw in a young woman, a dowry, an Abbot that toes the Church line completely and you have a recipe for a mystery.

Cadfael and Hugh solve the murder mystery side of things and Ellis Peters gets to view her theological views using various Abbots, Bishops, whatevers. If we could only all get along, then it wouldn't matter what we believe or the words we use to express said beliefs. (My synopsis of Peters' views which I vehemently disagree with)

My Thoughts:

Every once in a while I am reminded that I am reading about a Catholic monk in the 1100's. As such, the views expressed by various characters can run very counter to my staunch Protestant beliefs. But it makes for a very interesting read instead of just a dull murder mystery. The biggest thing that I enjoyed seeing was how the characters referenced Scripture very rarely and various Church Fathers quite a lot. You can believe in almost anything if you just go with what men have written ABOUT the Bible instead of reading it for yourself. But even that idea goes against everything that the Catholic Church calls orthodoxy. Thank God I'm a protestant.

The whole mystery part was rather blasé to be honest. The man we're supposed to think is the main culprit practically has neon signs pointing at him, so I knew it couldn't possibly be him even while having no other options. I'm not the kind of reader that tries to figure the mystery out before the main character. Besides, arrogant jackasses like Poirot withhold information, so what's the use? I'm just along for the ride.

On a completely non-review note, I've begun using “series” tags on Wordpress. I have to admit, I never understood why people did that before, but now that I'm thinking of organizing my WP site to be more user/link/post friendly, I understand. I LOVE how my reviewing style keeps on changing to meet various wants and needs. Still not going to see me on twitter or facebook though.

★★★☆☆ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 16, 2017 |
Another lovely read by Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter’s nom de plume). Make sure you keep close attention to the story, for you will be certainly mislead to guess the killer in a character who did not commit the crime. I loved the ending with Bishop Roger de Clinton’s wisdom portrayed in an exchange with the young “Heretic’s Apprentice,” Elave. Also the minute description of a psalter is absolutely fantastic, breathtaking! Mrs. Pargeter had such way with words… Beware that Cadfael does not appear as much as in other prior stories, but that did not detract from the whole. Highly recommend. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Six-word review: Priceless treasure kindles romance, precipitates murder.

Extended review:

In the sixteenth chronicle of Brother Cadfael, our favorite twelfth-century monastic gumshoe yields the foreground to the inevitable thwarted young couple. Perhaps shifting the focus away from her series character refreshed the author's enthusiasm for her task; I'd call this one of the better episodes, and definitely one of the best of the later ones, which had lately seemed to give off a faint whiff of staleness while becoming a bit too predictable.

In any event, Cadfael seems to yield the spotlight graciously, while the well-matched pair of lovers takes center stage. The clever deductions and the setting of the final trap fall to them, and they carry off their parts with spirit.

At the same time, the author gets in a full complement of asides on various religious, political, and social topics together with plenty of time-and-place atmosphere and well-researched detail. I thought the information about the making of parchment and fine books was interesting and well integrated into the story.

God bless cozy mysteries, an antidote to many an ill. ( )
  Meredy | Aug 12, 2014 |

Son, Sŏng-gyŏngTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On the nineteenth day of June, when the eminent visitor arrived, Brother Cadfael was in the abbot's garden, trimming off dead roses.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,769,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible