The Heretic's Apprentice: The Sixteenth…

The Heretic's Apprentice: The Sixteenth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (16)

Charges of heresy and murder are complicated by the contents of a mysterious treasure chest In the summer of 1143, William of Lythwood arrives at the Benedictine Abbey of St. Peter and St. Paul, but it is not a joyous occasion--he's come back from his pilgrimage in a coffin. William's body is accompanied by his young attendant Elave, whose mission is to secure a burial place for his master on the abbey grounds, despite William's having once been reprimanded for heretical views.   An already difficult task is complicated when Elave drunkenly expresses his own heretical opinions, and capital charges are filed. When a violent death follows, Sheriff Hugh Beringar taps his friend Brother Cadfael for help. The mystery that unfolds grows deeper thanks to a mysterious and marvelous treasure chest in Elave's care. … (more)
Member:caledfwlch
Title:The Heretic's Apprentice: The Sixteenth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael
Authors:Ellis Peters
Info:Mysterious Press (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:**

Work Information

The Heretic's Apprentice by Ellis Peters (1989)

English (18)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
man kills for book of rare value
  ritaer | Jun 16, 2020 |
More excellent than all other Ellis Peters books - I figured out who was the murderer was, but never figured out who or how the change was made. Good read. ( )
  busterrll | May 31, 2020 |
In The heretic's apprentice, Elave brings the body William of Lythwood, his master, who has died while making a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. He also brings a dowry for a young grand-niece. Elave is accused of having heretic opinions as did his master. Accusations are made by a clerk who is then found murdered. So is Elave a murderer? Cadfael needs to use his detective skills to find the murderer before any more are committed.

Ellis Peters has always used morality and justice in her Cadfael books, but, to the good brother, only God is the judge of human actions. Here the author discusses infant baptism and original sin as well as predestination and works versus deeds. There is the official church position and there is God's position and they may be widely separated. An interesting look into the theological world of the 12th century. ( )
  fdholt | Jun 24, 2019 |
I love the details Ellis Peters includes in her Brother Cadfael novels. Set in the Middle Ages, her books are historically accurate and give you a feel for the times.

When Elave returns from a pilgrimage to the Middle East as William's scribe and assistant, he returns with a gift of a exquisitely detailed box and William's dead body. The box was meant as a form of dowry for Fortunata. Elave runs into issue with visiting Canon Gerbert when he is accused of heresy by Aldwin, a member of Fortunata's household and the current scribe who feared for his position.

When Aldwin turns up murdered, things are looking even worse for Elave and Brother Cadfael and Hugh Beringar must figure out who actually did murder Aldwin and why? ( )
  phoenixcomet | Feb 26, 2019 |

Genre: Mystery
Pages: 256
Format: Digital edition

Synopsis:

A young man returns with his dead master from their journey to the Holy Land. There is some question about whether said master can be buried at the Abbey due to some of his statements said many years ago. All is resolved.

However, a jealous man then accuses the young man of heresy so as to get him out of the way of a job. When said jealous man turns up dead, things don't look good for the young man. Throw in a young woman, a dowry, an Abbot that toes the Church line completely and you have a recipe for a mystery.

Cadfael and Hugh solve the murder mystery side of things and Ellis Peters gets to view her theological views using various Abbots, Bishops, whatevers. If we could only all get along, then it wouldn't matter what we believe or the words we use to express said beliefs. (My synopsis of Peters' views which I vehemently disagree with)

My Thoughts:

Every once in a while I am reminded that I am reading about a Catholic monk in the 1100's. As such, the views expressed by various characters can run very counter to my staunch Protestant beliefs. But it makes for a very interesting read instead of just a dull murder mystery. The biggest thing that I enjoyed seeing was how the characters referenced Scripture very rarely and various Church Fathers quite a lot. You can believe in almost anything if you just go with what men have written ABOUT the Bible instead of reading it for yourself. But even that idea goes against everything that the Catholic Church calls orthodoxy. Thank God I'm a protestant.

The whole mystery part was rather blasé to be honest. The man we're supposed to think is the main culprit practically has neon signs pointing at him, so I knew it couldn't possibly be him even while having no other options. I'm not the kind of reader that tries to figure the mystery out before the main character. Besides, arrogant jackasses like Poirot withhold information, so what's the use? I'm just along for the ride.

On a completely non-review note, I've begun using “series” tags on Wordpress. I have to admit, I never understood why people did that before, but now that I'm thinking of organizing my WP site to be more user/link/post friendly, I understand. I LOVE how my reviewing style keeps on changing to meet various wants and needs. Still not going to see me on twitter or facebook though.

★★★☆☆ ( )

Son, Sŏng-gyŏngTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On the nineteenth day of June, when the eminent visitor arrived, Brother Cadfael was in the abbot's garden, trimming off dead roses.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446400009, 0892963816

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,531,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible