Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary…

by Daniel M. Lavery

"Hilariously imagined text conversations--the passive aggressive, the clever, and the strange--from classic and modern literary figures, from Scarlett O'Hara to Jessica Wakefield. Mallory Ortberg, the co-creator of the cult-favorite website The Toast, presents this whimsical collection of hysterical text conversations from your favorite literary characters. Everyone knows that if Scarlett O'Hara had an unlimited text-and-data plan, she'd constantly try to tempt Ashley away from Melanie with suggestive messages. If Mr. Rochester could text Jane Eyre, his ardent missives would obviously be in all-caps. And Daisy Buchanan would not only text while driving, she'd text you to pick her up after she totaled her car. Based on the popular web-feature, Texts from Jane Eyre is a witty, irreverent mashup that brings the characters from your favorite books into the twenty-first century"--… (more)

English (65)  Piratical (1)  All languages (66)
The winner for me is Emily Dickinson.

I will buy literally anything Mallory Ortberg writes. Brilliant. I want to give a copy to everybody. ( )
  Adamantium | Aug 21, 2022 |
What a clever take on modern society. It was also a wonderful showcase of literary classic characters' personalities and how they would be seen today. I can't imagine that one not familiar with the characters being parodied in the novel would read this. As much of the humor would be lost if you did not already have a sense of the playing parties. However, it should not be a deterrent. Even for the segments, I was not familiar with, I could find humor in the back-and-forth conversations. ( )
  BuffyCharp | Aug 9, 2022 |
Didn't read all the way through - but funny and clever! Teens would like this
  katielibrarian | Feb 8, 2022 |
I thought this book would be more fun than it was. I skipped all the books I had never heard of and forgot most of the books I had read or knew a little about. I think it would have helped if she identified the characters right from the beginning of each text. Some I got from context after reading a little, but it wasn't always clear to me. I think the people who would know these books and authors the most-literature professors-might be offended from the take and not read it. ( )
  eliorajoy | Dec 5, 2021 |
Hilariously imagined text conversations—the passive aggressive, the clever, and the strange—from classic and modern literary figures, from Scarlett O’Hara to Jessica Wakefield.

Most of these books I have heard of but never read.
Some of these books I have never heard of at all
Some of these I still have never read but I have seen the movies for.

I dont know who thought these texts were Hilarious, but quite frankly, they were all (Except one) very boring!!

So clearly I am not as well read as I thought I was. Oh well.

The ONLY set of texts that really were hilarious were Ron's texts to Hermione!!

Ron Weasley - doesnt know anything about maths - uses credit cards to get free money and then uses credit cards to help out a Nigerian prince because he asked so nicely!!!

I remember when I used to BAIT those Nigerian princes!!! Those emails were hilarious as well. ( )
  Robloz | Sep 23, 2021 |

Villa, ZachNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
hiiiiiiii

hi who is this

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Daniel M. Lavery's book Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,354,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible