Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary…

by Daniel M. Lavery

"Hilariously imagined text conversations--the passive aggressive, the clever, and the strange--from classic and modern literary figures, from Scarlett O'Hara to Jessica Wakefield. Mallory Ortberg, the co-creator of the cult-favorite website The Toast, presents this whimsical collection of hysterical text conversations from your favorite literary characters. Everyone knows that if Scarlett O'Hara had an unlimited text-and-data plan, she'd constantly try to tempt Ashley away from Melanie with suggestive messages. If Mr. Rochester could text Jane Eyre, his ardent missives would obviously be in all-caps. And Daisy Buchanan would not only text while driving, she'd text you to pick her up after she totaled her car. Based on the popular web-feature, Texts from Jane Eyre is a witty, irreverent mashup that brings the characters from your favorite books into the twenty-first century"--… (more)

English (63)  Piratical (1)  All languages (64)
Hilariously imagined text conversations—the passive aggressive, the clever, and the strange—from classic and modern literary figures, from Scarlett O’Hara to Jessica Wakefield.

Most of these books I have heard of but never read.
Some of these books I have never heard of at all
Some of these I still have never read but I have seen the movies for.

I dont know who thought these texts were Hilarious, but quite frankly, they were all (Except one) very boring!!

So clearly I am not as well read as I thought I was. Oh well.

The ONLY set of texts that really were hilarious were Ron's texts to Hermione!!

Ron Weasley - doesnt know anything about maths - uses credit cards to get free money and then uses credit cards to help out a Nigerian prince because he asked so nicely!!!

I remember when I used to BAIT those Nigerian princes!!! Those emails were hilarious as well. ( )
  Robloz | Sep 23, 2021 |
I wanted something to cheer me up today and this did a fair job. My favorites were the Jane Eyre exchange (pocket witch!) and the Wuthering Heights passage but they're all pretty great. You don't have to have read the authors and books used in this in order to laugh at the jokes (the Daisy Miller parts were hilarious even though I've never read it) but if you have, it'll add an extra fantastic layer. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Light and hilarious. Made me feel slightly uneducated as I haven't read a good portion of the books parodied in this text but it was still damn funny. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
"The tone is light and playful, and frequently ironic, but somehow the author always grasps the essence of the work in only a few short exchanges."

My review of 'Texts from Jane Eyre' by Daniel M Ortberg is up on the John C Adams Reviews website now!

https://www.johncadamsreviews.com/single-post/john-c-adams-reviews-texts-from-ja... ( )
  johncadamssf | Apr 6, 2021 |
This is an amusing idea, but I could only take so much of it at a time. Also, I only really enjoyed the ones where I got the references. About half the book went over my head because I hadn't read the source material. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Apr 3, 2021 |

Villa, ZachNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
hiiiiiiii

hi who is this

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Daniel M. Lavery's book Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,237,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible